Mobile Apps: Dictionaries, Notes, & Offline

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
This post has 4 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 104
Bentley Crawford | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, May 3 2014 12:52 PM

For my part I am very impressed with the iOS app and think you guys have done a really nice job! I'm continually impressed with features I discover. Plus, the app is very elegant and makes for nice reading. The speed is just fine as well.

I'm coming from being a big Olive Tree user and will admit that in some ways I do favor certain features of their mobile app, though ultimately I favor Logos.

Specifically, one thing I really liked how easy it was in Olive Tree to search on a particular English, Greek, or Hebrew word and get to my dictionaries. They have these Strong's tagged Bible versions that allow for the Strong's numbers to be hidden, thus enabling one to be looking at the clean Biblical text, click on a word, and have the Strong's definition pull up. From there it's one click to search all dictionaries based on either the English or Greek/Hebrew word. Pretty cool!

Another specific feature I'd love to request is the ability to set highlights for a particular note, as in the Logos Desktop version, and then be able to highlight away on the mobile app without always specifying the note destination.

Finally, is it possible to download some sort of Logos engine that would enable the full app to function offline with whatever resources one has downloaded. That way, those of us with more capacity, could utilize our apps even more.

Thanks for such great products and responsiveness!!

Posts 25343
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 3 2014 1:52 PM

Hi Bentley

in terms of word lookup have you tried "long-pressing" a word, selecting "lookup" and choosing Bible Word Study?

You can highlight simply in the app. Just press on a word and swipe to highlight.

But I'm afraid there is no extra engine you can download to enable additional offline capability.

Hope this helps

Graham

Posts 104
Bentley Crawford | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 3 2014 2:15 PM

Graham, thanks so much! Yes, the long-press is nice, but the dictionaries it accesses are limited, not one's full collection.

I like the highlighting very much! But if you'd like them to be assigned to a specific note, you must repeatedly assign it each time, no?

Posts 25343
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 3 2014 2:41 PM

Hi Bentley

you are right that the dictionaries are limited - this is something we have been asking Logos to look at for some time.

in terms of selecting notes documents, have a look at the Tools -> Settings menu and the Preferred Highlight Document

If that doesn't give you the control you are looking for, please clarify further

Graham

Posts 104
Bentley Crawford | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 3 2014 5:47 PM

Graham, thanks for the tip on the notes. It is working as I was hoping! I didn't realize one could change the note from the Settings to make it the default. Now, if I'm reading in a book, I can highlight away and add notes, etc without going back each time to assign it to the proper note. Sweet! Thanks again!

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS