Admin Priv Requirements for Proclaim for Mac

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
This post has 4 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 6
Aaron | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, May 6 2014 6:33 PM

Good evening. I wanted to see if anyone had run into the issue of requiring admin privileges for Proclaim on Mac. In my environment I have all workstations locked down, especially the media mac due to children and non-media people attempting to play on the Mac itself and the internet as well. Having passwords on accounts isn't working as we've sprung a leak somewhere so I've locked down all accounts as standard users. They have no privileges other than running software that is currently on the account.

My problem is that Proclaim has occasional forced updates, and I'm not always there to type in the admin password, plus having to update just before a service makes me nervous. Any IT or Sys Admin will tell you how dumb of an idea it is to update software in a live environment during business hours. 

Here is my question: Is it possible to disable the forced portion of the update? or Is it possible to no longer require Admin Privs in the OSX environment for Proclaim updates? or Is there a known work around for this to give elevated privs just for this software's updater?

Posts 6
Aaron | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 21 2014 8:35 AM

Has no one had this problem? Should the software actually require admin privileges? 

Posts 126
Jared Schwyhart | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 21 2014 8:54 AM

Hi Aaron,

When Proclaim has an update, you have the option of skipping the update.

What I don't understand is why passwords won't work on the user accounts?

Also, if kids are allowed to use the computer, I would make their account "Managed with Parental Controls."

Here is a link for a description of what each type of user account can do.

http://support.apple.com/kb/PH11468 

Posts 169
Michael Wright | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 21 2014 10:13 AM

It is never a good idea to execute any program as admin, unless you are actually using that program to administer a given computer system. Open source Image files (jpeg, bmp, etc), such as the background and power point images which can be downloaded from the internet and imported into Proclaim, are notorious carriers of malicious code (virus, trojan hourse, etc) which can steal identities and hijack or otherwise disable computer systems without the user's knowledge. Chances of a successful exploit are greatly reduced if the victim of such an attack is not acting with administrative privilege.

Posts 6
Aaron | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 21 2014 7:33 PM

Thanks guys for the responses. I may have not made myself clear. So the media account which uses Proclaim is a non-admin account. I don't give out the admin password normally, but the admin level account password is needed to to the updates in Proclaim. A Parental Control managed account won't do me any good unless you can take an admin account and dumb it down to just do software updates.

The problem I'm having is the fact that Proclaim is NEEDING admin rights to update. And as for skipping upgrades, in the last 2-3 months it refused to let us use the software unless we did the upgrade. The skip option was disabled. My question is: does Proclaim have to have admin rights for updates? 

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS