Why do I keep get Logos Not Responding?

Page 1 of 2 (21 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 20 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 62
Shmuel Birnbaum | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, May 7 2014 8:27 PM

I am a bit frustrated with the speed and consistency of the Logos program. 

I love the program. I love studying with Logos, but sometimes it is frustrating.

Is it my computer, or does the Logos program have too, much material to process in relation to the size of the program search and operating engine? 

My son recently purchased the Mac edition. He likes the program but commented that he is not used to seeing programs crash on his computer. He does with Logos. 

One especially frustrating is the speed in which the layout choice opens up, if it does. 

Am alone in this irritation? Do I need to upgrade my computer again?  I have a PC laptop with Windows 7.

Thanks

Posts 2770
Erwin Stull, Sr. | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 7 2014 8:42 PM

Hi Shmuel;

I see this quite frequently also, and currently looking at my computer as the culprit. I hear and have read that people have a much better experience with a very powerful computer and an SSD. The SSD is known to increase Logos performance tremendously. Here are my computer specs for comparison:

Dell Optiplex 760

Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 3.16Ghz CPU

8GB RAM

Western Digital WD1002FAEX HDD (Partitioned)

Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit

I currently do not have a more powerful computer to test with. Others on the forum will probably reply to give you a better idea of whats going on.

Posts 31306
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 7 2014 8:50 PM

Shmuel Birnbaum:
One especially frustrating is the speed in which the layout choice opens up, if it does. 

One can often tweak layouts to speed them up e.g. any guides close all but the most essential sections before closing the program. When you open another guide (or restart the layout) the closed sections won't populate until you open them - speeding up the opening significantly.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 7 2014 9:41 PM

Shmuel Birnbaum:
My son recently purchased the Mac edition. He likes the program but commented that he is not used to seeing programs crash on his computer. He does with Logos.

Logos fixes crashes, support page has how to report a problem => https://www.logos.com/support/logos5/mac/problem

Shmuel Birnbaum:

What is the layout opening ?  Personally have learned opening fewer resources is faster along with quickly knowing how to open more as desired.

Wiki => http://wiki.logos.com/Getting_Started_with_Logos has many Tips that are usable in Logos 5.

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 7 2014 9:58 PM

Shmuel Birnbaum:
I have a PC laptop with Windows 7.

Please provide PC laptop hardware information.  Windows 7 is an operating system that has been installed on a wide range of hardware.

On a Dell Tablet running Windows 7, performance is sluggish primarily due to an Intel Atom Z670 running @ 1.50 GHz so only enable a couple visual filters.

A Dell Inspiron 17" laptop running Windows 7 with an Intel Core i7-3610QM @ 2.30 GHz with Sata III Solid State Disk (SSD) dedicated to Logos is noticeably faster.  Thankfully can enable many visual filters => http://wiki.logos.com/Extended_Tips_for_Highlighting_and_Visual_Filters#Examples_of_visual_filters

CPU benchmarks => http://browser.primatelabs.com/processor-benchmarks shows an Atom N550 CPU @ 1.50 GHz having a benchmark of 349 while an Intel Core i7-3610QM @ 2.30 GHz has a benchmark of 2606, which is over 7 times faster (or takes less than 1/7 of the time to do the same work).

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 62
Shmuel Birnbaum | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 7 2014 11:52 PM

Thanks. My specs:

processor: Intel (R) Core(TM) i5-2430M CPU@2.40GHz 2.40 GHz

installed memory: 4.00 GB

system type: 64-bit Operating System

HP Pavillion g6 Notebook PC

Posts 85
Anthony Keating | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 8 2014 2:27 AM

Hi Shmuel,

I was having similar problems so decided to upgrade my computer a couple of days ago. I have bought a Surface Pro 2 with 8gb of RAM and a 256GB SSD. This has revolutionised the speed I boot Logos and doing searches etc.

This isn't a cheap option but certainly works!

In Him

Tony

Posts 2964
tom | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 8 2014 2:45 AM

While your computer is not the quickest thing on the market, part of the issue is that Logos is a slow program.  I have a 3.2 Ghz processor with 12 GB of ram, and I still get this message when I use Logos.

Posts 1952
mike | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 8 2014 5:23 AM

guess what.. the bigger your library, the slower your computer going to be.

Logos 5 isn't very optimized for large libraries... and they want us to buy those packages.. (they didn't think this thru)

For me Logos 5 is like Vista.

Posts 2964
tom | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 8 2014 6:24 AM

mike:

Logos 5 isn't very optimized for large libraries... and they want us to buy those packages.. (they didn't think this thru)

Actually, it is not the size of the library that slows Logos down (with the exception of indexing; it is the platform that used to built Logos 4.  When they were designing Logos 4 (before tablets and smartphones were as big as they are today); they were thinking that Microsoft's WPF was the way of the future.  Several years later, Bob even stated that making this decision was a mistake, but they cannot change that decision.  WPF is the resource hog (not the number of resources).  You can read many posts about this within Logos' forums.  And yes, Logos 4 was compared to Vista and ME when it first came out, but there has been a tons of improvements to the software.  Therefore, I do not believe that Logos 5 is as bad Vista & ME.

FYI... I only have 2863 books, but I do have lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots of notes.  

Posts 1494
Wild Eagle | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 8 2014 6:39 AM

I never had problems on my current PC. Here is my list of hardware.  

I72600k

8gb of ram

120gb samsung 840 pro

it ran great. Recently I added 660 Ti and additional 8gb of ram. Windows score is 8.1. No issues what's so ever. My library is 4.5k books

"No man is greater than his prayer life. The pastor who is not praying is playing; the people who are not praying are straying." Leonard Ravenhill 

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 8 2014 5:46 PM

Shmuel Birnbaum:

Thanks. My specs:

processor: Intel (R) Core(TM) i5-2430M CPU@2.40GHz 2.40 GHz

installed memory: 4.00 GB

system type: 64-bit Operating System

HP Pavillion g6 Notebook PC

Curious about storage specs ?  Noticed many HP Pavillion g6 Notebook PC models have 5400 RPM disk drives for longer battery life.

Switching from Sata III Solid State Disk (SSD) to 5400 RPM hard drive noticeably slows down Logos.

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 7856
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 8 2014 7:34 PM

It happens to me every single day; especially when I click on the library tab and I'm waiting for my books to load up.  I want to type the title of a certain book to look for it and there it goes again giving the message "Logos not responding." So when you're trying to do a research it slows you down quite a bit every time it does that.

DAL

Posts 62
Shmuel Birnbaum | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 8 2014 8:43 PM

WDC  WD7500BPVT-60HXZT3 678 GB  124 GB used. 554 free.

Posts 62
Shmuel Birnbaum | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 8 2014 8:51 PM

It sounds like that many are in the same situation, where the program responds slowly, and for some of us, it gets stuck. 

Some have solved this problem with a newer and faster computer, but others say that it still happens. Perhaps, we can hear from someone from Logos to contribute. 

For, me, it is a bit of an embarrassment. I wanted to introduce my sons to Logos, (which I love!), but for them it is the frustration of using a system that seems weak and sluggish. Google and others seem to have set the standards. I hate to see the believer world lagging when our knowledge is the most important of all to access!

Any answers, Logos?

Posts 2872
Mike Childs | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 8 2014 9:36 PM

mike:

Not sure what you mean by a large library, but I have 5,639 resources on my Windows Surface Pro 2, and it runs pretty fast.  I won't say that it has never crashed, but it is a very rare event.  That is with an i5 processor, 8 GB Ram, and a 256 SSD hard drive.  Of course, it runs Windows 8.

"In all cases, the Church is to be judged by the Scripture, not the Scripture by the Church," John Wesley

Posts 1095
Lee | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 8 2014 11:30 PM

Hello Shmuel

I have had two different HP notebooks in the past, both had problems. The first one HP would not repair and I just replaced it with a new system after many problems for 2 years and the lack of support. 

But for you the best thing I would do is add a 256GB SSD, If you could also put 8GB RAM in that notebook that should help a lot.

I Windows 7 64bit, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD, on the ASUS notebook its only using an i3-2330 2.20GHz processor.

My Library is 939 books atm.

I have not had any crash with Logos, when I replaced the SSD Logos now runs much faster.

L4 Bible Study, L5 Reformed Bronze, & L5 Gold, L6 Platinum & Reformed Platinum, L7 Platinum, L8 Baptist Platinum.
2015 rMBP 15" 2.2GHz 16GB 256GB SSD, running macOS Mojave   iPad Mini 4,   iPhone 6.

Posts 2964
tom | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 9 2014 4:09 AM

Shmuel Birnbaum:

It sounds like that many are in the same situation, where the program responds slowly, and for some of us, it gets stuck. 

Some have solved this problem with a newer and faster computer, but others say that it still happens. Perhaps, we can hear from someone from Logos to contribute. 

For, me, it is a bit of an embarrassment. I wanted to introduce my sons to Logos, (which I love!), but for them it is the frustration of using a system that seems weak and sluggish. Google and others seem to have set the standards. I hate to see the believer world lagging when our knowledge is the most important of all to access!

Any answers, Logos?

FYI... Logos has responded to the 'slowness' of the program, and they have said that it was designed for the computers of tomorrow (this was about four years ago).  Basically, they were saying, 'buy a new computer.'  After some people did by a new computer and were still having these issues, Logos went back and optimized their code.  After re-writing their new code, Logos did run a lot better.

Sometime during or after their optimizing and while people were complaining that the program was slow is when Bob stated that their decision to use WPF was a mistake, and that they cannot change that decision.

As a result, we basically need a computer that can be used for gaming to run Logos.  I personally do not see this changing any time soon (next five years or so). 

Here is Bob's post: http://community.logos.com/forums/p/53450/391362.aspx#391357

Posts 5317
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 9 2014 7:19 PM

I have a 2012 macbook and Logos 5 runs great on it.

-Dan

Posts 308
Dean J | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 10 2014 5:17 AM

Shmuel Birnbaum:

I am a bit frustrated with the speed and consistency of the Logos program. 

I love the program. I love studying with Logos, but sometimes it is frustrating.

Is it my computer, or does the Logos program have too, much material to process in relation to the size of the program search and operating engine? 

Am alone in this irritation? Do I need to upgrade my computer again?  I have a PC laptop with Windows 7.

Thanks

No, you're not alone--it's sluggishness can make serious study very frustrating. 

Page 1 of 2 (21 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS