What is the best name for a Pentecostal/Charismatic base package?

Page 1 of 3 (50 items) 1 2 3 Next >
This post has 49 Replies | 5 Followers

Posts 796
LogosEmployee
Gabe Martini (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, May 9 2014 9:08 AM

I'm interested in some input from our forum users, especially those from a charismatic or pentecostal/AOG background.

Keep in mind, base packages are going to be more specifically defined along denominational/church/traditional lines, while bundles, add-on products, and collections will continue to be marked more specifically to 'viewpoints' (Calvinism, Arminianism, Christology, etc.). 

[Poll]

Product Department Manager
Faithlife

Posts 5573
Forum MVP
Rich DeRuiter | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 9 2014 9:25 AM

Gabe Martini:
Keep in mind, base packages are going to be more specifically defined along denominational/church/traditional lines

In that case, it seems to me that Pentecostal is better. The term "charismatic" usually refers to the renewal movement (of the 60's/70's) that mostly focused within established churches of various denominations.

A third term "Third Wave" refers primarily to the Vineyard movement and others along the same line. It's a more recent theological movement and some within the movement would simply define themselves as "Pentecostal" while others would distance themselves from that term.

Still from a historic stream perspective, or denominational/church/(theological) tradition, the best term is probably still "Pentecostal." IMHO, of course (as one from a Reformed perspective, with a lot of Pentecostal/Charismatic/Third Wave leanings).

Help links: WIKI;  Logos 6 FAQ. (Phil. 2:14, NIV)

Posts 717
Kevin A Lewis | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 9 2014 9:35 AM

Surely you give the title yourself "Pentecostal/Charismatic"

Reasoning they are very related - but with distinct emphases. But not so much as to have two seperate base packages.

If "Pentacostal" then quite a few charismatic resourses would be inappropriate

If "charismatic" then quite a few Pentacostal resourses would be inappropriate

The combined is best

Shalom

Posts 2089
Randy W. Sims | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 9 2014 9:45 AM

Pentecostal sounds right to me. None of the other terms I've heard (Renewal, Full Gospel, etc) feel appropriate.

Posts 4111
abondservant | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 9 2014 10:19 AM

Kevin A Lewis:

Reasoning they are very related - but with distinct emphases. But not so much as to have two seperate base packages.

The combined is best

Shalom

Pentasmatic or characostal then perhaps ;).

How would you delineate the emphases of the two different groups?

I thought all pentacostals are charismatic, but not all charismatics are pentecostal. That is to say that pentacostalism is the denomination, while charismatic is the theological position regarding the sign gifts.

Of course, I'm Baptist, and cessationist (so what do I know).

L2 lvl4 (...) WORDsearch, L9

Posts 611
Graham Owen | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 9 2014 10:39 AM

abondservant:
I thought all pentacostals are charismatic, but not all charismatics are pentecostal.

But not all Pentecostals like being called Charismatic especially those with strong Holiness/Wesleyan roots. 

I agree with the logic that Pentecostal is more clearly defined as a movement/denomination whilst Charismatic is broader and is used to describe elements within many movements/denominations.

My vote:

Pentecostal

God Bless

Graham

Pastor - NTCOG Basingstoke

Posts 140
Raymond Urne | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 9 2014 10:43 AM

Kevin A Lewis:

The combined is best

Shalom

I agree that the best title includes both terms, maybe "Pentecostal-Charismatic."

At least in Scandinavia where I live, the Pentecostal-Charismatic family is larger than the Pentecostal movement. It also includes a lot of non-denominational churches.

The term Charismatic describes a stream that goes into all denominations and would not be a good title for this package.

Posts 30115
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 9 2014 11:44 AM

Gabe Martini:
Keep in mind, base packages are going to be more specifically defined along denominational/church/traditional lines, while bundles, add-on products, and collections will continue to be marked more specifically to 'viewpoints' (Calvinism, Arminianism, Christology, etc.). 

I think you answered your own question. Pentecostal is denominational while Charismatic is a movement within many denominations at least as the terms are used in this neck of the woods.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 9 2014 12:20 PM

MJ. Smith:
I think you answered your own question. Pentecostal is denominational while Charismatic is a movement within many denominations

Yes That is why I voted Pentecostal.

Logos 7 Collectors Edition

Posts 1514
Josh | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 9 2014 12:35 PM

MJ. Smith:

I think you answered your own question. Pentecostal is denominational while Charismatic is a movement within many denominations at least as the terms are used in this neck of the woods.

I am wondering if this means that many Charismatic resources will be left out of this base package. However, if they are going to add non-Pentecostal resources, this package needs to be named Charismatic. 

Posts 1141
Juanita | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 9 2014 1:39 PM

Best title would span both world's: Pentecostal and Charismatic.  We are and have been for decades charismatic but never of the Pentecostal denomination.  Non-denominational and thus free of denominational ties.  Thank you very much for asking for input!

Posts 13411
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 9 2014 4:31 PM

If you leave either word out, you'll halve your sales. So I'd suggest Pentecostal/Charismatic Base Package, even though that doesn't trip off the tongue. Either that or the Spirit-Filled Package ;-).

Posts 11101
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 9 2014 5:19 PM

Mark Barnes:
the Spirit-Filled Package

That's at least something that sounds good - but such a catchy phrase may be copyrighted in the US (after all there's a Study Bible and other Stuff)  - is it?

Running Logos 9 latest (beta) version on Win 10

Posts 2089
Randy W. Sims | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 9 2014 5:28 PM

According to USPTO it is not. "Spirit Filled" is for merchandising only, t-shirts, caps, etc. "Spirit Filled Life" is for bibles and religious books.

Posts 4393
SineNomine | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 10 2014 7:40 AM

Perhaps a Pentecostal base package associated with a series of charismatic bundles?

“God watches over the affairs of those who truly love him without their worrying about them.” - St. John of the Cross

Posts 1514
Josh | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 10 2014 8:00 PM

Gabe Martini:

Maybe this should be a collection instead of a base package. The charismatic movement goes beyond denominational lines.

Posts 692
Otto S. Carroll | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 12 2014 3:08 PM

My background is pentecostal, though it has been about 18 years since I was a part of a pentecostal / charismatic fellowship. When I accepted Christ 30 years ago, I noticed that there was a socio-economic component to what one would call himself. Those who called themselves Pentecostals were generally less affluent than those who were Charismatics. I don't know if that holds true today - like I said, it has been awhile since I've worshipped exclusively among those fellowships.  But just in case there's still an economic component, I would suggest the base package be called "Pentecostal / Charismatic."

15" rMBP 2.6 GHz i7 | 16 GB RAM | 1.0 TB Flash Drive | OS X 10.12.3 | Logos 7.0 (7.3.0.0062)

Posts 257
Gary Osborne | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 14 2014 9:29 PM

Graham Owen:

abondservant:
I thought all pentacostals are charismatic, but not all charismatics are pentecostal.

But not all Pentecostals like being called Charismatic especially those with strong Holiness/Wesleyan roots. 

And I'm one of them.  Okay, I won't have a falling out with anyone over it, but I do believe that Pentecostal is the better designation for what we are discussing here.

Posts 1929
mike | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 14 2014 9:32 PM

soooo... the next question is .. when is the package going to be available?

Posts 2744
Bohuslav Wojnar | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 14 2014 9:54 PM

Gary Osborne:

Graham Owen:

abondservant:

And I'm one of them.  Okay, I won't have a falling out with anyone over it, but I do believe that Pentecostal is the better designation for what we are discussing here.

I agree with both of you. I also voted for Pentecostal because (at least in our context here) the term Charismatic got very broad and undefined meaning, covering a lot of things that nobody in Pentecostal realm would like to be associated with.

Bohuslav

Page 1 of 3 (50 items) 1 2 3 Next > | RSS