Church of Christ Library for Logos Bible Software

Page 9 of 9 (164 items) « First ... < Previous 5 6 7 8 9
This post has 163 Replies | 5 Followers

Posts 3281
Whyndell Grizzard | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 20 2017 9:39 AM

Glad I don't resemble any of those short comings Image result for jester emoji

Posts 7
Kent Berman | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 26 2020 6:42 PM

I just want to chime in here that I grew up in the "anti" churches of Christ as did my wife... There are many good Christians in that particular fellowship whom I love dearly, though I hope I have rightly matured to a more balanced and healthy faith. I presently am a part of a church of Christ that tries to be biblically-centered and not get caught up in dogma... Most of the leaders within this movement would read good Bible research from any person, regardless of affiliation. I, personally, have benefited greatly from the NIV Commentary put out by College Press (Joint effort between CoC and Christian churches), Jack Cottrell, and many others... I have my beliefs about various topics, but I have found my life has been salvaged by "progressives" who taught me more about spirituality than I ever learned in more conservative circles. I think for myself, as I think do most folks... This thread paints the churches of Christ in a poor light but is not representative of how all or even most of us think. Blessings.

Posts 7
Kent Berman | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 26 2020 6:46 PM

Before someone has time to get offended... I didn't intend to perpetuate the "anti" term in a derogatory manner. I am just quoting the aforementioned "anti" churches as stated on this thread and saying... I grew up in that fellowship. They call themselves "non-institutional." The NI CoC has some good points that I agree with, though some have lost the spirit of Christianity along the way. Many are very healthy, balanced Christians, however. I digress, but it is true that many of us in the NI knew what we were against (anti) but not what we were "for." That doesn't excuse labeling folks with a derogatory term, but a good point is made that should be considered...

Posts 7756
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 26 2020 6:57 PM

I don’t think “anti-” was used in a derogatory way.  It was/is used more for the “anti” beliefs this particular group has (e.g. anti-fellowship rooms with a kitchen in them, anti-multiple cups during the Lord’s Supper, anti-church cooperation and  orphan homes, etc.). I haven’t seen any of those in a long time.  Maybe they’re not as strong anymore.

DAL

Page 9 of 9 (164 items) « First ... < Previous 5 6 7 8 9 | RSS