NICOT/NICNT: $1,599.95

Portfolio: $1,950.00

Posts 18888
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 1 2010 12:05 AM

Valerie Pobog:

What would you buy:

Ooh, that's a tough one. I think Portfolio. NICOT/NICNT is my favorite complete commentary series, but there are so many more resources in Portfolio. I guess it matters somewhat which of the resources you don't have yet the Portfolio will get for you. I did my decision making as to whether I wanted to get Portfolio or not at the price they were offering me by doing an exhaustive list (ignoring the highlights in the upgrade calculator, since they were wrong a lot of the time) of what I had already from Portfolio and what of the remaining titles I really wanted vs. couldn't care less about. In the end my computation made me decide it was worth it so I went for it. But I already had NICOT/NICNT so I didn't have to make that decision.

Posts 359
Stephen Miller | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 1 2010 1:24 AM

Valerie,

I'm not fussy. Whichever you want to buy me is OK with me.

Stephen Miller

Sydney, Australia

Posts 2769
Forum MVP
Ted Hans | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 1 2010 2:23 AM

Valerie Pobog:

What would you buy:

I'd say go for the Portfolio. If you do go for the NICOT/NICNT, give a sale Assistance like Jarred Bryant  [ jared@logos.com or (800) 875-6467 ext. 2319]  a call you may get it cheaper than advertised. 

Ted 

Dell, studio XPS 7100, Ram 8GB, 64 - bit Operating System, AMD Phenom(mt) IIX6 1055T Processor 2.80 GHZ

Posts 99
Tim Hogan | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 1 2010 4:30 AM

Do you currently have plat.? Then I would go for the Port.; I believe the variety is the key.

Posts 1357
Edwin Bowden | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 1 2010 5:17 AM

The current upgrade special pricing makes Portfolio the better buy right now.

There's always the possibility that NICOT/NICNT will be on some special pricing in the future.

Posts 2337
Forum MVP
John Fidel | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 1 2010 5:29 AM

Valerie,

If you go through the listing of additional books you get with Portfolio, and then identify the ones you would buy and they add up to significantly less than the upgrade price, then upgrade. If not, then buy the commentaries. The commentaries are really good.

Posts 3863
Forum MVP
Friedrich | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 1 2010 5:35 AM

John Fidel:

Valerie,

If you go through the listing of additional books you get with Portfolio, and then identify the ones you would buy and they add up to significantly less than the upgrade price, then upgrade. If not, then buy the commentaries. The commentaries are really good.

i kind of side with John on this one.  It all depends on what resources you really want.  Portfolio is the better deal, dollar for dollar. But I really like NICOT/NT and will want those in my library. (and do have).  With portfolio, the stuff I really want from it, that I do not have, about equals the price I would have to pay--so in a way, i could just buy those separately. . . however, of course, buying Port gives you many many more resources besides that you might find useful and grow to enjoy.

I like Apples.  Especially Honeycrisp.

Posts 5337
Kevin Becker | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 1 2010 7:13 AM

Given the choice I would buy Portfolio, but if the titles in Porfolio aren't interesting to you then do NICOT/NT

Posts 3236
Whyndell Grizzard | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 1 2010 7:19 AM

I have the Portfolio- but not NICNT/ NICOT- if you send it to me I can give you a better informed opinion.

Posts 1178
David Wilson | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 1 2010 7:30 AM

At current prices, go for the Portfolio upgrade.

If the upgrade is to cost you $1950 then there are a lot of resources there that you do not yet have and you are getting the best deal on those that you will ever be offered.

NICOT/NICNT is a great commentary set, but it is not on any special offer at this time.  There is a reasonable probability that it will be offered at a better price during a future limited time offer.

Posts 692
Otto S. Carroll | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 1 2010 7:45 AM

I was faced with a similar choice about 3-4 years ago when the GOLD package was released - buy GOLD at my upgrade price of $934 or buy a couple of technical commentary sets that were on my list to buy that totalled $900. I bought Gold only because it came with BOTH commentary sets I was planning buy.

My upgrade price to portfolio (from platinum) is $1300. However, there aren't not enough books that I don't have and really want in portfolio that would come anywhere close to costing $1300 if I would buy them separately. So I'm waiting until I can afford the $1700 ICC (or $1600 for NICOT/NICNT)series later on this year...

15" rMBP 2.6 GHz i7 | 16 GB RAM | 1.0 TB Flash Drive | OS X 10.12.3 | Logos 7.0 (7.3.0.0062)

Posts 383
Daniel Bender | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 1 2010 7:51 AM

Valerie,

With the price you are quoting for the Portfolio I assume you already have a tremendous amount of resources. Speaking for myself, I already own the Platinum package and have many of the resources in Portfolio as well--if I didn't have NICOT/NICNT that would be my choice. It depends on what your goal is and if you need the resources in Portfolio for course work. You could purchase the commentary set and use the savings from the Portfolio to purchase some individual items you really want in the upgrade package, John's advice to you is pretty solid as well.

Blessings,

Daniel Bender

Posts 18888
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 1 2010 6:50 PM

John Fidel:

I think John meant "significantly more than..."  If buying the resources from Portfolio that you want separately would be less than upgrading, then I'd buy NICOT/NICNT.

Page 1 of 1 (14 items) | RSS