Surface Pro 3

Page 1 of 4 (72 items) 1 2 3 4 Next >
This post has 71 Replies | 8 Followers

Posts 602
Bill Anderson | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, May 20 2014 1:06 PM

Microsoft announced a new Surface Pro 3 today. It's got a 12" screen, is thinner and lighter than the Surface Pro 2. Has a much better kickstand and a new pen.

Configurations/Pricing
i3-4GB RAM- 64GB - $799
i5-4GB RAM-128GB - $999
i5-8GB RAM-256GB - $1299
i7-8GB RAM-256GB - $1549
i7-8GB RAM-512GB - $1949

Lower end units available beginning June 20; higher end units available on August 31.

Edit: The Surface Pro 3 is lighter than the Surface Pro 2.

Posts 1129
Keith Larson | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 20 2014 1:30 PM

Interesting that there are rumors of a 12 inch MacBook Air or iPad Air in the works. Seems like both MS and Apple have decided that 12 inches is the sweet spot for an transitional device between a pure tablet and a pure laptop.

Posts 406
Paul C | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 20 2014 2:09 PM

Very Pricey. ... Way out of my league. Makes the Dell look even better.

Posts 13312
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 20 2014 3:59 PM

Paul C:
Very Pricey. ... Way out of my league.

But cheaper than buying both a laptop and a tablet - which is what the Surface Pro 3 just might replace.

Posts 406
Paul C | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 20 2014 4:04 PM

Mark Barnes:

Paul C:
Very Pricey. ... Way out of my league.

But cheaper than buying both a laptop and a tablet - which is what the Surface Pro 3 just might replace.

Possibly I just have not fully evolved. There are times the tablet just "won't do" without a keyboard and mouse >>> For me.

Posts 46
Terry Roberts | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 20 2014 4:32 PM

I've had my laptop for a couple years  now. It has a 280gb HDD.

The new Surface Pro 3 is going to replace both my laptop and my original iPad.  That old ipad just doesn't cut it anymore.

I'll most likely bite the bullet and go for the i7 256gb Pro 3. Means I'll have to wait until fall.  But that also means I can go get my Windows Phone.

Posts 496
Greg Masone | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 20 2014 5:27 PM

This is interesting. Nice to see it finally maturing. I'm an Apple guy, but I may need to take a serious look at this.

Has anyone used the previous Surface Pros for Logos? I'd be interesting in seeing how well using Logos alongside Onenote on the Surface Pro works.

Anyone with any experience with that?

Posts 13312
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 21 2014 1:04 AM

Paul C:
Possibly I just have not fully evolved. There are times the tablet just "won't do" without a keyboard and mouse >>> For me.

Yes, that is true for most users (which is why takeup of these types of devices has been slow). But the Surface Pro does have a detachable keyboard, and significantly it seems to have improved it's trackpad to be as good as most laptops. And unlike standalone tablets, you can plug a mouse in if you wish.

http://www.theverge.com/2014/5/20/5734866/surface-pro-3-hands-on-photos-impressions 

Posts 2038
Unix | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 21 2014 1:54 AM

It can't be anywhere near as good as: http://www.trulyergonomic.com which is what I have:

Mark Barnes:
the Surface Pro does have a detachable keyboard,

Aply!
trulyergonomic.com 5,850own
12G A9-9420 V8.3 Acc 11
d:'13Q3 12G

Posts 406
Paul C | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 21 2014 2:35 AM

Mark Barnes:

Paul C:

Yes, that is true for most users (which is why takeup of these types of devices has been slow). But the Surface Pro does have a detachable keyboard, and significantly it seems to have improved it's trackpad to be as good as most laptops. And unlike standalone tablets, you can plug a mouse in if you wish.

http://www.theverge.com/2014/5/20/5734866/surface-pro-3-hands-on-photos-impressions 

Thanks for the link. I must admit drooling a bit. But I must stick to my original statement....Out of my league. Especially considering my already crowded stable. Stick out tongue

Posts 406
Paul C | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 21 2014 4:06 AM

Unix:

It can't be anywhere near as good as: http://www.trulyergonomic.com which is what I have: 

You are one suave dude.

Posts 1810
David Thomas | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 21 2014 5:07 AM

Mark Barnes:

Paul C:

I have an original Surface Pro and the keyboard and touchpad on the detachable Type cover works GREAT when I am away from my desk. I have used both L5 and Evernote on the device with NO PROBLEMS, but my study style does not require them at the same time - I do MS Word alongside L5.

Making Disciples!  Logos Ecosystem = Logos8 on Microsoft Surface Pro 4 (Win10), Android app on tablet, FSB on iPhone, [deprecated] Windows App, Proclaim, Faithlife.com, FaithlifeTV via Connect subscription.

Posts 1699
JoshInRI | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 21 2014 5:24 AM

i would love to sell my original surface and get something that does not radiate my hand with so much heat (or my lap) that I need to put it on a cool surface 20 min after using it.  I have set the fan to come on more aggressively to no avail.  I will wait for the upgrade reviews and a huge sale before committing to another HOT surface.

p.s. I would be curious if the I3 $800 version sans keyboard would be fast still with Logos 5.x.  I hate to downgrade my processor but maybe it would help with the heat.  sigh.

um - nevermind...the I3 doesnt seem to have 128.  another sigh.

Posts 406
Paul C | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 21 2014 6:09 AM

The i5 128GB is less than a grand. Just do it. You know you want to. Big Smile

Posts 85
Anthony Keating | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 21 2014 6:43 AM

I wish you hadn't told me this, I only bought a Surface Pro 2 this last week! Up to now I have found it to be a beautiful, well thought out piece of kit. It is so much faster than the previous lap top, Ipad and desk top that it has replaced. None  of those computers were slouches in their spec but I think the SSD is a real game changer if you are using Logos. I have a large screen that I can use if I want the space to work and now also can use the "full fat" Logos programme on my travels.

I really didn't think there was much they could improve on but if as you say it is thinner and lighter that can't be bad. As for the screen size if it is much bigger than the present Pro 2 I think it loses the idea of being a mobile tablet.

Anyway thanks Bill for the heads up.

Tony Keating

Posts 85
Anthony Keating | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 21 2014 6:48 AM

Dear Greg,

I personally use the Pro 2 for Logos and use OneNote beside it. It works very well as you can split the screen to accommodate both or use an external monitor if you want loads of space.

Hope this helps.

Tony Keating

Posts 1602
Deacon Steve | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 21 2014 8:53 AM

You can pre-order now at the Surface website.

Posts 999
Mike Pettit | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 21 2014 11:49 AM

Pulled the trigger on an i5 256gb pre-order.

Now all I have to do is save up the money for when it ships!

Posts 406
Paul C | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 21 2014 11:52 AM

Congrats. I'll be impatiently awaiting your review.

Posts 13312
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 21 2014 2:51 PM

Mike Pettit:
Pulled the trigger on an i5 256gb pre-order.

That's the sweetspot, I think, and the model I would be buying if I didn't already have a perfectly good laptop and iPad!

Page 1 of 4 (72 items) 1 2 3 4 Next > | RSS