Re: BUG: Now I'm getting no e-mails for many forum posts

Page 1 of 5 (86 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next >
This post has 85 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 8893
fgh | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, May 21 2014 9:40 AM

I'm still getting two e-mails for every forum post several hours a day, but now I'm missing e-mails as well. For example I haven't gotten any of the posts at 

I'm also missing the last few posts at Free Logos Webinar.

(And it had to be [mostly] MJ's threads, the ones I'm most likely to be interested in!Super Angry)

"The Christian way of life isn't so much an assignment to be performed, as a gift to be received."  Wilfrid Stinissen

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Posts 8893
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 21 2014 9:58 AM

Also, I'm getting a "Sorry, there was a problem with your last request!" message almost every time I post, although the posts seem to go through anyway. It just takes extra time to check.

"The Christian way of life isn't so much an assignment to be performed, as a gift to be received."  Wilfrid Stinissen

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Posts 8893
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 21 2014 12:46 PM

Bump.

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Posts 295
LogosEmployee
Toby Steele (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 22 2014 8:03 AM

fgh:
Also, I'm getting a "Sorry, there was a problem with your last request!" message

Please see my response here: http://community.logos.com/forums/p/84956/595712.aspx#595712

Posts 295
LogosEmployee
Toby Steele (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 22 2014 8:19 AM

fgh:
but now I'm missing e-mails as well

I've opened a case for this issue. I will add a link to this forum post to the case so that you will be updated once it's fixed.

Posts 8893
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 22 2014 1:13 PM

Thanks. I hope you realize this bug is urgent. It's not only a nuisance that wastes time I don't have when I have to read the forums on the web, what's even worse is that when I don't get the e-mails, I can't save them, which means I completely lose track of bug reports and other threads I want to keep an eye on.

OK, it's not quite as urgent as keeping the websites up and running (all Logos sites have been down for me for most of this afternoon and evening), but almost (and, of course, with the subscriptions malfunctioning, I have no way of knowing if you're even aware that all sites are down...). Certainly far too urgent for it to take nearly 24 hours to even get a reply. A bug like this should be fixed in hours, not days.

And, by the way, by now it's so bad that I don't think I get more than 1 post in 10 or so.

(Now let's see if I can post this, or if everything's down again.)

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Posts 103
Roger G Black | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 22 2014 1:29 PM

Other than this 1 email, I haven't had any others for hours.  Something is surely amiss....

Rog {BlueBird} Cool

Posts 2829
Don Awalt | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 23 2014 9:25 AM

I am getting some emails from posts, but I just did a compare with teh Forums and there are still a number of posts that are not going out. Is this still considered a problem?

Posts 51
LogosEmployee
Joel Garboden (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 23 2014 10:44 AM

I'll be spending most of today digging into the various forum woes.

I believe the following are all outstanding issues, please let me know if I missed any.

http://community.logos.com/forums/t/62983.aspx  - Missing emails

http://community.logos.com/forums/t/84184.aspx  - Duplicate emails

http://community.logos.com/forums/t/84592.aspx  - Slow forums performance

http://community.logos.com/forums/t/84636.aspx  - Duplicate posts

http://community.logos.com/forums/t/84758.aspx  - Bump of 84636

http://community.logos.com/forums/t/84927.aspx  - Duplicate emails, or missing emails

http://community.logos.com/forums/t/84980.aspx  - Errors posting and attaching files

http://community.logos.com/forums/t/84956.aspx  - Errors posting

I disabled the secondary web server on May 21st around 4:30 pm. Some changes were also made to our outbound email servers late on the 21st.

It sounds like you're no longer getting duplicates, and just plain missing a ton of emails.

I'm seeing some connection hiccups every 14 hours or so, but those last under 10s.

Our reporting shows the average browser response time as <4 seconds, with occasional spikes above 6s. However, if there was a browser or web server-side error, it may not show up in the statistics. From the posts I'm reading it sounds like the slowness is inconsistent and affects simple to complex usage.

Also according to the reporting, Community Forums has a 195 ms app server response time, 220 requests per minute, and a 0.0175% error rate.

I'll be switching you guys over at various times today to the failover server while I tweak and look at the primary.

The forums has it's own dedicated quad-core VM with 8GB RAM on Enterprise SSDs. We're at least trying to treat you all well :)

I'll do my best to keep this thread updated with my findings.

Posts 2829
Don Awalt | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 23 2014 10:47 AM

I have been trying to make a new  post for over an hour and I keep getting the "Sorry..." error. Yet this is my second Reply post that has gone through!

Posts 8893
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 23 2014 1:20 PM

Joel Garboden:
I'll be spending most of today digging into the various forum woes.

Thanks!

Joel Garboden:

That's a 1.5 year old thread, to which I just added a new post, hoping that someone from back then was still subscribed to it and would give me a quicker response. The real, current, missing e-mails thread is this one (which you list further down).

Joel Garboden:

Replied in that thread.

Joel Garboden:

For me, the forums are actually very fast right now (apart from the error messages when posting).

Joel Garboden:

RSS posts, not forum posts.

Joel Garboden:
I believe the following are all outstanding issues, please let me know if I missed any.

You missed Logos Forum Website Error Message, but it's covered in the other threads. And my complete inability to access any Logos website or server for most of yesterday, but that seems fixed today, so hopefully it's no longer outstanding.

From my perspective, the missing e-mails are by far the most urgent. The incorrect error messages are annoying and time consuming, but at least they only affect the now; the missing e-mails will cause me problems long after you've fixed them.

I'm afraid the technical stuff is beyond me.Smile

Joel Garboden:
I'll do my best to keep this thread updated with my findings.

Updates are always appreciated!

And thank you for the e-mail about your post. That's the most considerate gesture I can remember receiving from a Logos employee ever.

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Posts 51
LogosEmployee
Joel Garboden (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 23 2014 1:26 PM

Don,

From what I can tell, I see, between May 18 07:59:15 UTC and May 23 19:33:38 UTC, forums sent 794 messages outbound to you from our mail servers. Does this match what you actually received? 

In addition, forums are now running on the failover web server, please let me know if this changes forum errors at all.

Posts 51
LogosEmployee
Joel Garboden (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 23 2014 1:43 PM

The backup server doesn't have the reporting I mentioned in my previous post, so any performance feedback would be greatly appreciated. I made the cut-over at 1:20 PM PST.

Are emails being duplicated, or just RSS?

Are you missing emails and RSS notifications?

Yesterdays outages should be all attributed by a security feature backfiring and blocking actual sites, it should have been resolved around 11am PST.

No worries about the technical stuff, I'm just trying to give as much information as I can to the people who can reproduce their issues.

I'll be upgrading the database server either late tonight or Tuesday night, which should resolve a few of the errors you've been experiencing with posting.

Posts 51
LogosEmployee
Joel Garboden (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 23 2014 1:51 PM

Fgh,

I see 777 messages outbound to your email address between May 18 07:59:15 UTC and May 23 19:33:38 UTC. How many did you actually receive?

I apologize if you're having to duplicate information, just trying to gather it all in one thread for ease of diagnosis.

Posts 2829
Don Awalt | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 23 2014 1:56 PM

Joel, I have been trying to send a New message in the General forum all day, and I keep getting the Sorry message. Replies seem to go through though. This one even has a picture and went through, but a simple one sentence (with a link) did not. I think I'll try without the link.

Posts 2829
Don Awalt | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 23 2014 1:58 PM

Nope - other message still fails even without the link. Just can't send a new post.

Posts 8893
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 23 2014 2:14 PM

Don Awalt:
Nope - other message still fails even without the link. Just can't send a new post.

Don, you have started 8 new threads about the Paulist prepub! 

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Posts 8893
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 23 2014 2:31 PM

Joel Garboden:
Are emails being duplicated

See reply in the other thread.

Joel Garboden:
or just RSS?

The duplicated RSS posts came all at once (once for each affected feed, that is). They haven't continued with new posts. I doubt there's anything you can do about them now, other than trying to ensure it doesn't happen for your other feeds as well. It's just very annoying since I have lots of prepub feed posts that I've deliberately left 'unread' because I haven't had time to make up my mind about buying them, so I can't just mark everything as read and get rid of them. I really do have to click all 200 or so duplicates away manually, one by one.Sad Which will give me even less time to consider new purchases.Sad And it's annoying because it isn't exactly the first time you've done  this to me. It's happened multiple times.Sad

Joel Garboden:
Are you missing emails

Yes, I'm still missing e-mails.

Joel Garboden:
and RSS notifications?

Not that I've noticed, but with all these time consuming errors I haven't had a chance to check.

Joel Garboden:
I see 777 messages outbound to your email address between May 18 07:59:15 UTC and May 23 19:33:38 UTC. How many did you actually receive?

Is there a way to figure that out without counting them one by one?

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Posts 51
LogosEmployee
Joel Garboden (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 23 2014 2:57 PM

Thanks for the response.

I've made a few changes that should hopefully eliminate the duplicate emails and RSS at least.

I totally agree, I use unread items in my feeds/inbox to signify TODOs and the like.

It seems as if email notifications are getting out of our network, but not reaching you. It will take me a few days to try and narrow down which portion of the road is broken. I'll look into the logs I've taken, your feedback, and errors I'm seeing to try and come up with a reason.

I'll post an update on Tuesday with my findings about emails going out, I believe I solved the RSS duplication at least.

fgh:

Joel Garboden:

Is there a way to figure that out without counting them one by one?

I'm just hoping for a ballpark to see how many missing emails I should be looking for. Web mail or desktop email clients should give a number of emails in a particular folder, or how many are selected.

It seems like posting errors, but actually submits the post. I'm seeing some obscure errors on our end, which may be related to the database server.

Thank you for your continued responses, they've been really helpful in narrowing down where the problem might be.

Posts 2829
Don Awalt | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 23 2014 3:10 PM

fgh:

Don Awalt:

Don, you have started 8 new threads about the Paulist prepub! 

Whoa really? I didn't even look, they are all giving me this error I just posted! Plus I am not getting any of them via email. This is really broken.

Page 1 of 5 (86 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next > | RSS