Tell Us How You Use Logos!

Page 2 of 4 (69 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next >
This post has 68 Replies | 15 Followers

Posts 1202
Ward Walker | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 29 2014 7:38 PM
  1. Does Logos help you fill a specific role? (e.g., pastor, student, professor, etc.)
  2. What tasks do you do you count on Logos to help you with in your study?
  3. Do you have a favorite feature?
  4. Do you have particular feedback you’d like to pass along?

1. I'm a "layman" and use Logos for my own education.  

2. I do teach a Sunday School class (I prefer a verse by verse style), and use Logos to cut/paste verses into my notes.  I heavily highlight what I read, and often wind up taking screen captures of the markup instead of cut/paste the text.  I write my lesson plans in Word.  I've tried to project Logos in class before to use it to teach from, but that was unwieldy--noone like to watch someone else mouse around an app.

3. My favorite feature is highlighting, by a long shot.  Reading plans are a second, with layouts being a third favorite feature.  I sometimes use the passage guide.  I like the Greek word pronunciation ... will we ever see (hear) the Hebrew?!?!? ... and the interlinears.

4. My penchant for highlighting, coupled with buying more resources than I can ever read, has really caused performance problems with the app.  The mobile apps are nearly unuseful because they choke on my *** massive *** highlights files.  I applaud the efforts of the programmers to work on app performance--there have been many helpful changes over time--but in general, I seem to bring Logos to it's knees--even on a beefy computer w/ SSD drive.

Posts 1
Anton Swagerman | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 29 2014 9:52 PM

Starting in the morning with a reading plan before breakfast feeding on the word. Apart from going through some literature reading some pages Calvin's institutes and Berkhof's theology. A marvelous feature is reading with an android, when you stop, shut down, and start the next time it will come up at the location you were.  Being Dutch born and bred my English vocabulary is not like the Kiwi's around in NZ. Therefore I use dictionaries often to look up words to find the precise meaning/interpretation. Being only just over 30 year 'down under' I still lived longer on the continent. Clicking the word will give the dictionary explanation.  I started in logos 3, went thtough 4 and now use 5.  Like the development from Dos, to Dos 5, to Windows 1-2-....7, and 8 coming.   Anton Swagerman.

Posts 1418
Forum MVP
Veli Voipio | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 29 2014 11:04 PM
  1. Does Logos help you fill a specific role? (e.g., pastor, student, professor, etc.)
  2. What tasks do you do you count on Logos to help you with in your study?
  3. Do you have a favorite feature?
  4. Do you have particular feedback you’d like to pass along?

1. I am a retired computer engineer, and I like to get deeper into Greek and Hebrew, and I like to see what software features are available and how I can combine them in my study

2. Search and link features (very useful already, athough these have always room for improvement)

3. Passage guide

4. Hebrew audio pronunciations would be very helpful

Gold package, and original language material and ancient text material, SIL and UBS books, discourse Hebrew OT and Greek NT. PC with Windows 8.1

Posts 26484
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 30 2014 12:47 AM

1. lector preparation, lectionary based Bible studies, pamphlets on Bible study methods, added-value user resources for Logos resources

2. text comparison, resource searches, basic data (parallel passages, genre, rhetorical devices, outlines, pericope boundaries ...), doctrinal use of scripture passage ...

3. Catholic topical index; pericope comparison, reading lists

4. Weaknesses that drive me nuts:

• in Guides where only some resources are tagged for inclusion, there is no easy way to create a collection of those yet to be tagged so that it can be searched
  • when a commentary refers to a specific translation, hovering on the translation identifier should allow me to see the passage in that translation
  • I need a hymn & poetry section  in for text in addition to the music section - yes I can create a collection and run a search but ... And hymn name/first line should be a data type for linking in resources
  • I like the new sermon section; it needs to be available by liturgical date as well
  • prioritization needs to be made less time consuming ... I have never gotten everything working as I like
  • lectionary/reading plan/reading cycle need to allow the user to specify the readings for a particular day - allowing the plan to be repeated and allowing creation without specific dates (for historical lectionaries, reading plan for which start dates are later supplied ...)
  • the introductory layouts for new users - from GO box or lectionary should work correctly in all details so that one can demonstrate Logos' capabilities without constantly saying "well, what should happen is ..."
  • text comparison should be expanded to allow pseudepigrapha and church fathers
  • pericope tool should be expanded to recognize lectionary pericopes and ideally, commentary pericopes
  • datatype links should be better documented so that one can always derive the value rather than guess (see threads on Book of Concord Reading Cycle)
  • allow user created timelines as in L3 - I lost several timelines and use/need more focused timelines than the current format

In short, I often feel like I spend so much time customizing Logos to finish jobs it almost does that I have little time to actually use it.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 59
greypilgrim | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 30 2014 7:23 AM

Jayson,

Hear our my thoughts:

I am a pastor. Logos is the first program I turn on. I use it to exegete the passage. My Greek is rusty and my Hebrew has long been forgotten so all the aids really help to make sure that my understanding of the key words stays within the boundaries of their original meaning--lexicons, commentaries, and sermons are the most helpful. SermonCentral is a waste of time. I know this is harsh but my style and approach is much different and I do not trust the authenticity of many of the stories. I seldom can verify them.

I will occasionally attempt to remaster my Greek and Logos serves me well with the learning videos.

During my Dmin study Logos was invaluable. It drastically shortened my search for Scripture verses. Unfortunately it had very few of the required reading in digital form and I could not afford to purchase one series. But for those who just beginning will enjoy the expanding resources.  

Last year I took a month sabbatical and immersed my thoughts in John Owen's works. The digital format, note taking, highlighting really helped me to retain the information and refer back to it.

The weakest feature of Logos is the inaccurate information that I received when purchased Logos 4. I was told my CPU (i3) could easily handle it. WRONG. I often become bogged down. I cannot even think to upgrade to Logos 5 until I purchase a new machine which may not happen till Logos 6 comes out. 

Morris Procter's videos are another excellent aid. I have attended both seminars and they are fun and he is a great guy but the videos are far more helpful than the seminars because I can keep referring back to them.

John H Pavelko

Crossroads Presbyterian Church

Walled Lake MI

Posts 4
Justin Alfred | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 30 2014 7:48 AM

Dear Logos:

My name is Justin Alfred, and I am an Adjucnt Professor at the Azusa Pacific Graduate School of Theology, and I am also a writer, seminar lecturer,  speaker for men's retreats, pastoral fill-ins, and small group Bible studies leader on various topics.  My area of focus has been the Ancient Near East, both historically, linguistically, and theologically, and I have been tremendously blessed to have access to the resources I use for my research, writing, and teaching in the above areas I just mentioned.  I have been blessed to have been enabled by the Lord to learn and use many different languages in my educational and teaching career, and Logos has continuously grown and developed to a point where you all have almost all of the ones I use with relation to their actual fonts, along with their transliterations, for the purpose of copying and pasting (e.g., Aramaic/Hebrew, Syriac, Greek, Coptic, and Arabic), the only exceptions being the Sumerian and Akkadian cuneiform fonts (although Caplice's Akkadian grammar is very helpful), but you do have a good selection of the Ugaritic, cuneiform script available, which is quite beneficial for me in my work.  Therefore, I highly recommend Logos for any one interested in doing serious research, writing, and ministry to the Body of Christ world wide, for strength and encouragement, but also for the purposes of evangelism and reaching those who are lost and without Christ, and especially those who are entrapped in the darkness and deception of Islam.

I do pray for all of those who work at Logos on a consistent basis, that God will continue to lead, guide, and direct them in all they do, and that their eyes will remain on Jesus, versus themselves, as we who are believers in Jesus are His bondservants.  

God bless you,

Justin T. Alfred 

Posts 4
Justin Alfred | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 30 2014 7:51 AM

Dear Veli:

If you will go to Blue Letter Bible, they do have a pronunciation guide for both the Hebrew and Greek.

God bless you,

Justin T. Alfred

Posts 3
Fred H Anderson | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 30 2014 7:52 AM

I'm a retired pastor who uses Logos 5 for sermon preparation (I still preach most Sundays) and daily Bible study, often in the original languages (Greek more than Hebrew). Logos makes this easy, with the reverse interlinear feature and the links to the Louw-Nida resources. 

Posts 10177
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 30 2014 7:53 AM

Does Libronix help you fill a specific role? (e.g., pastor, student, professor, etc.)
  Yes! As head rabbit-trail chief, the large library is a blessing.  Whoever 'curates' it, is my favorite advisor

What tasks do you do you count on Libronix to help you with in your study?
  Keeping my place when I'm reading, along with arranging my other books relative to my reading

Do you have a favorite feature?
  Yes ... workspaces.  I have one for each of my 'worlds' I'm exploring (e.g. 2ndTemple, archaeology, womens, etc)

Do you have particular feedback you’d like to pass along?
  Only one:  allow a 'driver' link so you can connect commentaries to your Bible. Pretty basic.

Posts 389
James C. | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 30 2014 8:05 AM
  • I use Logos to prepare sermons and bible studies (I'm a full time preacher).
  • I use Logos for apologetics. I encounter Jehovah's Witnesses, Mormons, and Catholics.
  • I use it to answer questions that I just don't have an answer for (people sometimes ask questions that cause me to research and look up things).
  • I use it for school (I am a student at Knox Online going for my Masters in Christian and Classic Literature).
  • I use Logos for basic reading and devotions.
  • Logos is running almost 24hrs a day on my computer and I use it every day throughout the day.
Posts 2736
Bohuslav Wojnar | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 30 2014 8:47 AM

As a disciple of Jesus Christ I use Logos for my personal devotion time and meditation.

As a life-long student of the Bible, theology, history, Judaism of the 2nd Temple Period etc. etc. I use Logos for reading my books all the time, at home, at the parking lot, waiting my wife while she is shopping Smile, at the airports, at the doctors etc. I use iPad version of Logos for that purpose.

As a senior pastor I prepare my sermons, mainly at home, adding 2 more monitors to my laptop, working with Logos and MS Word, copying all kind of material to the study document. Later I write a sermon out of the gathered material. Logos is the only Bible software I use. I do exegesis, word study (my favorite feature), I look sometimes at the topical guides, maps, and many other tools in Logos. Always I do Passage Guide to the needed passage and look through the commentaries. Logos is the main software I use on my computer. I do not preach from Logos, I preach from pdf file saved at the iPad.

As a Bible school teacher I use Logos special layout while teaching. I do it directly from Logos, sing a big screen of the TV (or projector) to show students what I want them to see.

As a missions leader I use my electronic library in Logos to carry it with me to places I would hesitate to take one single book with me. It is great to know all my library is in my pocket in that situations. While being with leaders at the mission field, discussing some issues with them, I can open Logos in the evening, checking with my resources on given subject I am not able to predict at home I would need. Its just great to have this possibility.

Simply, I can't imagine how Apostle Paul could make it without Logos Big Smile

Bohuslav

Posts 1418
Forum MVP
Veli Voipio | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 30 2014 8:52 AM

Justin Alfred:
If you will go to Blue Letter Bible, they do have a pronunciation guide for both the Hebrew and Greek.

Thanks Justin, that is a good advice.

I can use the link http://www.blueletterbible.org/lang/lexicon/lexicon.cfm?Strongs=H5003&t=KJV

But the use is a bit complicated: I have to copy the lemma to the New American Standard Hebrew-Aramaic and Greek dictionaries within Logos, then pick up the Strong's number and place it to that BLB web page.

This is a good thing for now, but in long run I look forward to the Logos internal application

In Christ, Veli

Gold package, and original language material and ancient text material, SIL and UBS books, discourse Hebrew OT and Greek NT. PC with Windows 8.1

Posts 2
Jacques Gauvin | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 30 2014 7:51 PM

Logos often helps me find a passage that I forget the exact words of. I also use it to do topic studies using scripture only. I host a Bible based website, www.jacquesgauvin.com, and am an active participant on Facebook where I try to add meaningful comments. I also use Logos to assist in this task.

Posts 263
Greg Corbin | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 30 2014 8:20 PM

Jayson, I am happy to give my feedback.  FYI, I am a Logos user since 2008 - bought Logos 3 back then and eagerly moved to the newer version each time. Here are my answers to the numbered questions...

1.   I am a Senior Pastor of a Southern Baptist Church in the metro Birmingham, Alabama area.

2.   I use Logos daily on my MacBook Pro and ipad. I use it first thing in the morning for my personal devotional / study time and then I move into preparation for two distinct sermons each week - Sunday morning and evening. In addition, I find myself using Logos to look up answers to questions that come up about the Bible or church history or theology.  I also use Logos sometimes to prepare of pastoral counseling sessions, as I have a "counseling" collection that enables me to find resources for particular issues.

3.  The collection and search features are my two favorites.  My favorite resources are the reverse interlinears and my beloved commentaries.

4.  As a user who started on PC and migrated to Mac, I have to say that Logos 5 really finally brought near equality between the two platforms. Thank you for making Mac users a priority!  Nevertheless, I still find the program more "buggy" and less stable on my Mac.  At times the almost daily updates are a nuisance. Personally, I wonder if it would be possible to send out one large update per week rather than clogging things up daily. Anecdotally, everyone I personally know who uses Logos is a daily user like myself.  Still, in the grand scheme of things, these issues are very minor. Thank you for a marvelous, revolutionary product that has made me a better man and a better pastor. Logos 5 was truly a quantum leap. Don't rush out the next version until it is ready. Blessings to you all!

Posts 1
Houseplant | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 31 2014 2:32 AM

The way I use Logos the most is the daily reading through the Bible. I get so much out of being able to put the the study Bible right next to it and learn from both of them.  I like being able to instantly access related verses with a touch of the finger. I'm not a pastor or anything---just a person who is constantly amazed at God's willingness to communicate and bless and guide.

I'm just starting out with the software and haven't figured out how to copy and paste from the study Bible and my other books. Copying a Bible vs is easy enough, but I started a word pad document with a theme and wanted to include other comments too. I have a touch pad screen laptop with Win 8 and it is not like my old Win XP !

And a big thank you for the free books and affordable other ones. I always wanted a Kindle or Nook, but didn't get one, cause I didn't think I could find the kind of reading material I like.  Then by the grace and providence of God I was given several Bibles on a CD which included Logos software to access it. I just love being able to have all these books to read.  Thanks again.

Posts 19
Rickey Lamphere | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 31 2014 5:30 AM

Jayson, is there a book I can purchase to help me use Logos 5? I have a Logos 4 library but am looking to start a  Bible Study in my home and need help. As I did not use the Logos 4 very much. Any help will be grateful. Thanks Rickey

Posts 2
Kevin Moore | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 31 2014 7:23 AM

I facilitate a class at church called Bible Basics.  It is a survey of the entire Bible.  I use Logos as a premier resource in researching the deeper meanings and nuances of scriptures.  Since I write my own curriculum, I make heavy use of different versions of the Bible, Commentaries, Biblical and Archaeological History to prepare the handouts.  Having all those resources at hand make the job so much easier.

There are two things that I find distracting.  The first is I keep getting repetitive and annoying popups asking if I like Logos.  I've begun answering "NO" in hopes they will cease.  The Perseus collection is great, but since I do not have the luxury of time in which to learn to read Greek or Latin, a less convoluted method of selecting the non-English versions to hide them would be greatly appreciate.

I would love to have the Portfolio package or the Diamond Package, but I simply cannot afford them.  I've no idea how many man hours go into coding the resources and preparing them for download are.  I suspect quite a bit and that is expensive.  I know Logos and its associated sites are designed to make the owners money.  I have no trouble with that, I just wish some of the stuff was less expensive.

Posts 21914
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 31 2014 7:31 AM

Hi Rickey

Rickey Lamphere:
is there a book I can purchase to help me use Logos 5?

Does the material at https://www.logos.com/training/desktop and http://wiki.logos.com/Logos_5_Video_Tutorials help at all?

Also https://www.logos.com/product/36348/logos-5-training-manual-set 

There have been some updates to Logos 5 since these were produced but the principles are the same.

Graham 

Posts 21914
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 31 2014 7:35 AM

Hi Kevin - and welcome to the forums

Kevin Moore:
The first is I keep getting repetitive and annoying popups asking if I like Logos

I see this on the mobile apps but not Logos 5 (desktop). Is that consistent with what you are seeing?

Kevin Moore:
a less convoluted method of selecting the non-English versions to hide them would be greatly appreciate.

In the Logos 5 library filter box type "publisher:perseus ANDNOT lang:english" and that should give you what you are looking for. Select them all (click on one and then Ctrl-A) and then Ctrl-rightclick and you will get the option to hide them all

If this doesn't help then please create a new thread and explain the issues you are having in more detail.

Graham

Posts 6
Robert L McClain | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 31 2014 10:51 AM

I am a Moody Bible Seminary student. I plan to complete my all-online MA in Applied Biblical Studies this Fall. I have been using Logos Silver since the program began, and I don't know how I would have made it this far without Logos. As my classes have progressed, I have been able to add Moody's required textbooks to my Logos library, and the links the digital books provide to the entire library are phenomenal. The only problem is that sometimes they lead me down an interesting but irrelevant rabbit trail and I have to back up and stick to the subject.

My favorite features are Layouts and Copy. When a course begins I start building a mini-library of study materials and save them as a Layout. This way I don't have to remember which of the references I am using when I open Logos. I use Copy in conjunction with Microsoft One Note to collect the results of my research. The citations I need come right with the text I've copied. (I wish Logos had a more user friendly notes feature like One Note.)

Page 2 of 4 (69 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next > | RSS