I need an explanation how I can use the HDNT?

Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
This post has 10 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 2905
Tes | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Jun 4 2014 6:16 AM

It would be veryhelpful if I could get an explanation how I can use the HDNT for BIble study? Possibly with the help of screenshot.

Blessings in Christ.

Posts 389
James C. | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 4 2014 6:59 AM

Learnlogos.com has a great video on this topic. I think it costs $5.

Posts 331
Mathew Haferkamp | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 4 2014 7:29 AM

Hi Tes, I just went to logos.com and went to the hdnt page and they have a video there that seemed very helpful.

Posts 126
Wayne Clarke | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 4 2014 8:02 AM

I found the Lexham High Definition New Testament Introduction very helpful with trying to get the most out of the HDNT.  The HDOT also has the same introductory guide.

Posts 2905
Tes | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 4 2014 8:49 AM

Mathew Haferkamp:

Hi Tes, I just went to logos.com and went to the hdnt page and they have a video there that seemed very helpful.

Hi Mathew, It is not what I am looking for, I need to learn how It functions,(how it can be used practically).

Blessings in Christ.

Posts 6312
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 4 2014 10:25 AM

Tes, unfortunately, you're going to have to purchase the video from Learnlogos dot com or start studying the book that comes with it; i.e. Discourse Grammar of the Greek New Testament: A Practical Introduction for Teaching and Exegesis.  If you have the "Anglican Silver BP" then you already own it, but if you don't call Logos to get the best price.  I already started studying, but I think I'll buy the videos since I like to "hear and see" some things being explained instead of just reading them.  Plus videos are cheap.

DAL

Posts 25
mc | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 4 2014 12:42 PM

Tes,  I would echo both James and DAL's comments about learnlogos video training.  The training is in two parts.  I just purchased both videos and can give you more feedback once I go through them.  However, I can say that learnlogos videos have been a practical help to me in the past.

Mike

Posts 10112
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 4 2014 3:53 PM

Hammer looking for a nail.

Consider Mat 4:18-22   First, just read it.  Then look at the discourse markings. 

Imagine sitting in a hot dusty house church listening, with someone reading that.  Then pose the question, what does greek discourse have to do with it?  Do you think Jesus was good at greek discourse?

The problem with many of the Logos tools is they're situated outside of Palestine, and appeal to a modern culture emphasizing .... what?

EDIT:  I thought I better include my impression of Mat 4:18+.   If you look at the Emphasized Bible, it's much more obvious.  There's two sets of someone dinking around, and then immediately changing course and joining Jesus.  Sort of a counter-point, easily hear-able, and well within the OT's traditional structures.  Discourse pushes half the counterpoint into the background as a setup.  Don't think so.

Now, discourse makes sense if the author is indeed pursueing 'discourse'.  But it's a case by case situation.  And HDNT makes no distinctions.

Posts 6312
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 4 2014 6:40 PM

13 And ||when they had entered||, |into the upper-story| went they up、 where remained behind—both Peter and John and James and Andrew, Philip and Thomas, Bartholomew and Matthew, James the sonb of Alphæus and Simon the zealot, and Judas the sonb of James.

Rotherham, J. B. (2010). The Emphasized Bible: A Translation Designed to Set Forth the Exact Meaning, the Proper Terminology, and the Graphic Style of the Sacred Original (Vol. 2, p. 120). Bellingham, WA: Logos Research Systems, Inc.

Is the bold, underlined, italicized part supposed to read like that or do they have the sentence structured the wrong way? By the way, apparently a flee got scanned right after "they up、" I thought it was something on my screen, but it isn't...LOL (I know, it's a marking explaining something).

DAL

Posts 10112
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 4 2014 7:22 PM

He was tracking the greek closely. I'm not sure how he managed 'remained behind' given the general usage.  This was in the early days of Westcott.

But clearly the greek sentence structure was likely an issue early on.  I think (and could be wrong) the Peshitta doesn't have the verb (essentially the phrase is skipped over to clean it up).

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 4 2014 9:01 PM

One idea is creating a personal book HDNT glossary.  One HDNT tag is characterization:

The Lexham High Definition New Testament Glossary describes all the HDNT discourse tags.

Thread => http://community.logos.com/forums/p/37003/286745.aspx#286745 has a screen shot with customized LDGNT glossary so pop-ups show questions to ask instead of an explanation about the discourse marker.

Keep Smiling Smile

Page 1 of 1 (11 items) | RSS