Visual Filter Search

Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
This post has 9 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 60
Rustamania | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Jun 5 2014 7:37 AM

I created a visual filter to highlight certain words in the book of Proverbs.  The visual filter works and I can see the highlights.

Now I want to do a search on the highlighted text to pull them all back in a list, rather than searching down through the text.  It doesn't show as an option in the search window.

I'm on a Mac

Posts 60
Rustamania | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 11 2014 1:10 PM

Anyone have any ideas?

Posts 25672
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 11 2014 8:10 PM

Jason rust:
Now I want to do a search on the highlighted text to pull them all back in a list, rather than searching down through the text.  It doesn't show as an option in the search window.

Logos uses text searches so it cannot search directly for all instances of a highlighting style i.e. you can only search for text within a style, so you have to specify the wildcard * in the Find box if you want all instances of that style. But the search will take a very long time.

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 8229
LogosEmployee

Jason rust:
I created a visual filter to highlight certain words in the book of Proverbs.

A "visual filter" is usually based on a search. A search can be exported directly to a Passage List, e.g., see this post: http://community.logos.com/forums/p/85772/601227.aspx#601227 

Posts 60
Rustamania | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 12 2014 4:35 AM

Dave Hooton:

Logos uses text searches so it cannot search directly for all instances of a highlighting style i.e. you can only search for text within a style, so you have to specify the wildcard * in the Find box if you want all instances of that style. But the search will take a very long time.

I understand that (at least I think), but my highlight isn't available to select in the search box.  See above picture of my highlight "self-control", but in the search box, all my highlights aren't available to select.

Posts 60
Rustamania | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 12 2014 4:37 AM

Bradley Grainger (Logos):

A "visual filter" is usually based on a search. A search can be exported directly to a Passage List, e.g., see this post: http://community.logos.com/forums/p/85772/601227.aspx#601227 

I guess I could set up a search, but that doesn't explain why I can't select my highlight to search within.

Posts 10661
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 12 2014 5:36 AM

Jason rust:

Bradley Grainger (Logos):

I guess I could set up a search, but that doesn't explain why I can't select my highlight to search within.

The VF doesn't exist in your database the same way "real" highlights exits (i.e. as a Notes document Logos can search), they are dynamically created (probably only for the visible part of the screen).   

Running Logos 8 latest beta version on Win 10

Posts 60
Rustamania | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 12 2014 6:32 AM

Thanks for the info.  That's what I thought may be happening.  Bummer

Jason

Posts 10661
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 12 2014 8:03 AM

Jason rust:

Thanks for the info.  That's what I thought may be happening.  Bummer

Jason

But why a "Bummer"? Your VF will state a rule in order to assign a certain visual effect (such as: take any Greek verb and mark it blue). The first part of that yo can simply copy into a search (here: a morph search) and you're done.

Bradley mentioned above that VFs usually exist because someone built a search and then told Logos "make a VF from this search" and assigned the visual effect. Maybe you use VF's that someone else created (shared from a Faithlife group, perhaps)? You can open them under Documents/Virtual Filters and will find the rules. 

Running Logos 8 latest beta version on Win 10

Posts 60
Rustamania | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 12 2014 8:51 AM

It isn't a huge deal, but it is an extra step.  If I have a visual filter that looks for a bunch of different words, I have to go through them all and copy and past them into a search, when I could have just selected the highlight.  

Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS