Automatically switching between original language Bibles?

Page 1 of 1 (18 items)
This post has 17 Replies | 3 Followers

Posts 8
Isaac Gould | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Jun 9 2014 12:26 PM

One of my favorite study layouts uses two columns, one with the English Bible and the other with a Hebrew or Greek Bible. I've linked the resources so they scroll together. The trouble is when I input a new passage and move from OT to NT or NT to OT. The Hebrew or Greek column stays put when the English switches, obviously.

Is it possible to make my Hebrew or Greek Bible window switch automatically to another resource when my linked English Bible is redirected to a different testament? I currently maintain tabs in my original language column for the BHS and GNT and manually switch between them. I'd love to see if there's a way to automate this switch. I'm fairly certain I could do this back in the day with Libronix.

To be concrete: Say I'm reading Isaiah 15, displaying in linked ESV and BHS columns. Then I change the ESV reference to Romans 15. I'd like the column that was displaying the BHS to switch magically to GNT. Can it be done?

Posts 10741
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 9 2014 12:35 PM

Use the "Set Series" feature in the Resource Info panel.

I combined NA28 with LHB in a series called "OL Bible" (for Original Language Bible)

In this information sufficient for you? Do you need more?

BTW: Welcome to the forums

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 9 2014 12:58 PM

Isaac Gould:

One of my favorite study layouts uses two columns, one with the English Bible and the other with a Hebrew or Greek Bible. I've linked the resources so they scroll together. The trouble is when I input a new passage and move from OT to NT or NT to OT. The Hebrew or Greek column stays put when the English switches, obviously.

Is it possible to make my Hebrew or Greek Bible window switch automatically to another resource when my linked English Bible is redirected to a different testament? I currently maintain tabs in my original language column for the BHS and GNT and manually switch between them. I'd love to see if there's a way to automate this switch. I'm fairly certain I could do this back in the day with Libronix.

To be concrete: Say I'm reading Isaiah 15, displaying in linked ESV and BHS columns. Then I change the ESV reference to Romans 15. I'd like the column that was displaying the BHS to switch magically to GNT. Can it be done?

Perhaps I don't understand what you want to do, but here is my solution.  I have a layout I call "Base" in which I have the MT and NA27 on the left with the JPS TANAK and the NRSV on the right.  The MT is linked to the TANAK while the NA27 is linked to the NRSV.  You could open two instances of the same English text and link one to the MT and the other to the NA27, but that's the way I do it.  In this way whenever I change location in the MT the TANAK goes with it while the NRSV follows the NA27.

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 8
Isaac Gould | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 11 2014 6:45 AM

Thanks a bunch, Jack! That looks like exactly what I'm hoping to do.

I can't find that option in Logos 4, unfortunately. I assumed the procedure would be similar between Logos 4 and 5, but I guess not. When I view resource info, I don't have a "Set series" option. I've got 5 installed on my laptop (not with me right now) and 4 installed on my office computer. I'll try it when I get back to my laptop. Any idea how to make it work in Logos 4? 

I searched the Logos 4 help file, and it recommended the same thing you said. I just can't find the "Set series" option anywhere.

Posts 8893
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 11 2014 7:01 AM

Isaac Gould:
I've got 5 installed on my laptop (not with me right now) and 4 installed on my office computer. I'll try it when I get back to my laptop. Any idea how to make it work in Logos 4? 

If you change it on the other computer it should sync automatically.

"The Christian way of life isn't so much an assignment to be performed, as a gift to be received."  Wilfrid Stinissen

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Posts 8595
LogosEmployee

Isaac Gould:
Any idea how to make it work in Logos 4? 

Custom series aren't supported in Logos 4, only in Logos 5.1 and later.

Posts 8
Isaac Gould | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 11 2014 9:34 AM

Thanks, Bradley. Is there any way to make this sort of thing work in Logos 4?

Posts 40
Everett Doonand | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 11 2014 9:58 AM
Yes, update to Logos 5.1 and up. Big Smile
Posts 8
Isaac Gould | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 11 2014 10:08 AM

Indeed. Unfortunately I'm stuck with a Windows XP system at my office.

Posts 539
L.A. | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 11 2014 2:36 PM

Jack Caviness:
I combined NA28 with ...

Where/how did you get the NA28? Congrats, Jack Smile ...in a Base Package...? ...or... just curious...

https://www.logos.com/product/29980/nestle-aland-greek-new-testament-28th-edition-with-critical-apparatus 

Posts 8893
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 11 2014 2:44 PM

NA 28 is in many base packages, it's the apparatus that's unavailable.

"The Christian way of life isn't so much an assignment to be performed, as a gift to be received."  Wilfrid Stinissen

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Posts 539
L.A. | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 11 2014 2:55 PM

fgh:

NA 28 is in many base packages, it's the apparatus that's unavailable.

Aaah... Thanks, fgh! Sooner or later I'll have a BP... still using SESB3 and other resources with L5... 

Anyway - the collection/series feature is really cool - NA27 + LXX combined... I like it! 

Posts 10741
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 12 2014 5:16 AM

L.A.:

Jack Caviness:
I combined NA28 with ...

Where/how did you get the NA28? Congrats, Jack Smile ...in a Base Package...? ...or... just curious...

Not quite sure, but I believe it was included with the Base Package I purchased with the upgrade to L5 (Diamond).

Posts 8
Isaac Gould | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 12 2014 7:44 AM

So I opened up Logos 5 on my MacBook Air, and I still can't get this to work. When I view resource information on any of my Bibles, there's no "Set series" option anywhere to be found. Is there another step I'm missing?

Posts 11089
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 12 2014 7:52 AM

Isaac, congrats on Logos5!

In the library, when you select a resource > information (as you did), it's the UNLABELLED (if it already has a series assigned) section right below the Mobiles section, and above the Collections section.  Logos always likes to pull our chain and see if we bark.

I hope that's what you're asking.

"I didn't know God made honky tonk angels."

Posts 8893
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 12 2014 8:06 AM

• You are looking in Library, right? (Not the Info page at the 'back' of the resource itself.)

• What version of L5 do you have?

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Posts 10741
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 12 2014 12:00 PM

fgh:
• You are looking in Library, right? (Not the Info page at the 'back' of the resource itself.)

Thank you, Ma'am. I forgot to specify which resource info panel Embarrassed

Posts 8
Isaac Gould | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 13 2014 5:47 AM

Thanks for the help. It works now. I'll find out later if the changes sync to my Logos 4 installation, which would be brilliant, but I'm not keeping my fingers crossed.

How weird that the resource info options differ in library mode and when accessed at the 'back' of the resource itself. Funny.

Page 1 of 1 (18 items) | RSS