Logos should amend how link sets work so that they have a "primary" and a "secondary" function

Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
This post has 9 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 113
David Miller | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, Jan 2 2010 7:30 AM

I wish that I could set some link sets as primary and some as secondary.  What do I mean?  If I have my bible text set to link set "A" and several commentaries as link set "A", if I move around in the commentaries, it also changes my bible text.  I. Hate. That.

If would be better if I could set the bible text as link set "A" primary and the commentaries as link set "A" secondary.  Here's the differerence, if I change the bible text, the commentaries also change.  If I change the commentaries, the bible text does NOT change. Get the idea?

This is such an annoyance and would be an easy change to make in the code.

Here is another scenerio that is just as bad or worse...

I have a number of commentary sets open, each in a tab.  I'm flipping through the tabs to read comments and it happens, a commentary set that doesn't have a commentary on the book I'm currently studying and as Job best describes it:

Job 3:25 - "For what I fear comes upon me, And what I dread befalls me."

...I watch as my primary bible text changes to some other book of the bible which is then followed by every other commentary changing as well.  UGGGG!!!!!!!!

Posts 403
777 | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 2 2010 7:38 AM

I agree with you.  The way it is set up now is a pain.

Posts 1565
PL | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 2 2010 7:41 AM

+1.  Agreed. 

Posts 584
Gary O'Neal | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 2 2010 8:01 AM

+1

πάντα εἰς δόξαν θεοῦ ποιεῖτε

Posts 403
777 | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 2 2010 8:12 AM

David R Miller:

Here is another scenerio that is just as bad or worse...

I have a number of commentary sets open, each in a tab.  I'm flipping through the tabs to read comments and it happens, a commentary set that doesn't have a commentary on the book I'm currently studying and as Job best describes it:

Job 3:25 - "For what I fear comes upon me, And what I dread befalls me."

...I watch as my primary bible text changes to some other book of the bible which is then followed by every other commentary changing as well.  UGGGG!!!!!!!!

I see that you amended your original posting to reflect an even scarier scenario.  Yes

This definitely needs fixing.  As it stands now the software just pulls you around in it's wake.

Posts 1565
PL | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 2 2010 8:30 AM

It's because of David's second scenario that I usually turn off linking completely and move to scripture references manually.

Maybe one way to implement this is to allow the "Follow" option on all linked windows.  Currently that option is only available for certain specialized windows (Cited By, Power Lookup, Explorer, etc).

Posts 40
Jim R. Keener | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 2 2010 10:23 AM

I agree.  I never had that problem in L3.  You could link as you pleased.  When you opened a second bible, you could set it as the 'target' window of "Treasury of Scripture Knowledge so the verse came up in its full context and it worked without incident.  Now if you set that up, you have to go back and highlight a commentary or the main Bible , or things will start scrolling as you described.

I hope they can get that fixed soon.

Jim R. Keener

Posts 5337
Kevin Becker | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 2 2010 10:40 AM

I like the idea of a primary and secondary link Yes. There are ways to set up keylinks to minimize the damage... M Barnes has some excellent videos demonstrating.

Jim R. Keener:
you could set it as the 'target' window of "Treasury of Scripture Knowledge so the verse came up in its full context and it worked without incident.

Jim, you can still do this.

Posts 596
LaRosa Johnson | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 2 2010 11:13 AM

I agree. This is a feature I really like in another Bible software app. I actually recorded a video a few months ago explaining it to some users. Here's a link if u care to see it (esp. the Logos guys if they want to get an idea for how to implement sumthin similar & how it should look/function)

http://www.screencast.com/t/bnrp6RZpA

Urban Scholar - http://urban-scholar.com 
Christ-centered Hip-Hop - http://www.sphereofhiphop.com

Posts 372
Ken F Hill | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 2 2010 7:37 PM

David R Miller:

That scenario has gotten me a few times.  I agree this is something that ought to be looked at.

Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS