As of 6/16/2014, which UNDER $400 Windows 8.x Tablet do you think currently runs Logos 5.x the best?

Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
This post has 11 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 1700
JoshInRI | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Jun 16 2014 10:25 AM

Hello

In your opinion, which Windows 8 inch or 10 inch Tablet - priced under $400 - currently runs Logos 5.x the best?  Please actually own the device or have thoroughly tested it out.
Also please include how you installed it and please let us all know if your entire Logos library effectively fit on the tablet - thanks..

• Does it index well?
  • Was it a nuisance to install Logos on initially?
  • Do you use a stylus within Logos and on the Tablet?
  • Do you enjoy using Logos while reading, sharing in a group Bible study with others, or taking notes during your church sermon or class?
  • Can you read your Logos outdoors in bright sunlight?
  • Does the machine stay cool to the touch after 20 min of use within Logos?
  • Is it easy to turn the volume on or off?
  • Anyone out there primarily ONLY use Logos on their tablet (and nothing else) to make it run well?
  • How many think the Asus Vivo Tab 8 is worth spending some cash over the long haul?
  • Anyone gotten feedback carrying the small hardware into church in lieu of a paper/bound Bible?
  • Have you had a chance to show running copy of (windows) Logos to anyone you know, work with, go to school or attend church with?
  • Holding out for something better, cheaper, faster, cooler (temp wise), and with better resolution?
  • Is accessing Logos layouts and books easy on your Windows hardware?
  • Do you think Logos developers will cater to "touch" in Logos next iteration?
Posts 406
Paul C | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 16 2014 11:58 AM

I have the Dell Venue 8 Pro. It's specs are virtually identical to the Asus Vivo Tab 8. The L5 install was no different than any other machine. I chose the 64GB version. My entire library easily fits on the main drive, with ample room for indexing.  It is possible to take handwritten  notes directly on the screen  in windows journal, or with the pen input in OneNote, but honestly I get better (more consistent) results using my finger. The stylus "skips". You really need an ultra-portable mouse to take advantage of L5 features...such as highlighting to use the right click menu. More and more folks use some sort of digital Bible In Church. It is not obvious that I am carrying a study program. ...If I can remain focused, and don't go down rabbit holes. NO ! it is NOT my primary machine. I didn't buy it for that purpose. It is an extension of my main study machine, which I do not wish to carry with me. ;) It's a snap to mute the volume. I won't say I only use Logos on the tablet. I have many apps installed. I will say that typically, I only have OneNote open when I'm running L5. The little guy is not designed for multitasking. It stays cool to the touch, without the need for a fan. I am very happy. (Borderline Ecstatic) About the Venue. It does all I need it to do, Then fits in a cargo pocket. I bought mine from Dell Outlet (refurbished) for $200. They offer a 30 day return policy. I just don't see how you could go wrong. Yes. Touch tablets are the wave of the future. Logos will be motivated to cater to that niche.

Edit: >>> As stated in another thread: A search of the entire library for "love"    on the PC (24GB Ram) took 1.04 sec. On the Venue (2GB Ram) it took 1.83 sec. I can live with that. Big Smile

Posts 602
Bill Anderson | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 16 2014 1:01 PM

JoshInRI:

• Does it index well? (It is slow because Logos is installed on a Class 10 microSD. I wouldn't have much internal disk space left if I installed logos on the internal drive.)
  • Was it a nuisance to install Logos on initially? (No; I used method 3; indexing took a while to complete, though.)
  • Do you use a stylus within Logos and on the Tablet? (Yes, it is great for highlighting.)
  • Do you enjoy using Logos while reading, sharing in a group Bible study with others, or taking notes during your church sermon or class? (I have used OneNote for taking notes of sermons)
  • Can you read your Logos outdoors in bright sunlight? (No)
  • Does the machine stay cool to the touch after 20 min of use within Logos? (Yes, it stays cool all of the time. It doesn't get hot. Ever.)
  • Is it easy to turn the volume on or off? (Just use the volume rockers.)
  • Anyone out there primarily ONLY use Logos on their tablet (and nothing else) to make it run well?
  • How many think the Asus Vivo Tab 8 is worth spending some cash over the long haul? (It has been great for me; however, there have been a number of people who have had the digitizer fail on them. Read the forums at TabletPCReview.com)
  • Anyone gotten feedback carrying the small hardware into church in lieu of a paper/bound Bible? (One person)
  • Have you had a chance to show running copy of (windows) Logos to anyone you know, work with, go to school or attend church with? (No)
  • Holding out for something better, cheaper, faster, cooler (temp wise), and with better resolution? (I am always looking for something better)
  • Is accessing Logos layouts and books easy on your Windows hardware? (I don't use a lot of layouts on an 8-inch tablet. Just two windows due to size)
  • Do you think Logos developers will cater to "touch" in Logos next iteration? (Who knows)

See answers in bold type in parentheses after the question. Josh, I think you know that I have the Asus VivoTab Note 8. It has worked well for me. I have Logos with 4,000 resources installed on a microSD card, taking up 22GB. Frankly, I hesitate to recommend a tablet to you because at $400, any tablet is going to have a lot of trade-offs I don't think you'll find acceptable. Personally, I would advise you to save you money so that some day you can afford to purchase a tablet that will be more of what you want. I am looking to see the reviews on the upcoming Lenovo Think Tablet 10. They are supposed to have a model that has an Atom processor that will allow 4GB of RAM. I think that will help Logos the most on the current crop of Atom tablets. I don't expect this tablet to be in the $400 range, though.

Posts 1700
JoshInRI | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 17 2014 5:50 AM

Hi Bill (and Paul).

You continue to be a blessing to me/us all.

God bless your for your kind thoughtful replies. Smile

Lets hope this is affordable and worth waiting for (running Logos well).

http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/tablets/thinkpad/thinkpad-10/

Posts 406
Paul C | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 17 2014 9:10 AM

I'm sure it will be a quality built unit. However, I seriously doubt it will meet the requirements of this thread Smile Theres no way you will get it for $400. I have a Lenovo X220 tablet. >>> http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2392452,00.asp  It is a very fine laptop and it doesn't even break a sweat running L5, But they dropped the ball big time on the tablet end.The touch and pen functions were so hit and miss, I finally gave up trying to use it as a tablet. Apparently they also gave up on trying to make that particular model work ... and moved on. I certainly hope they have better results with this venture. I will "Wait and see." I Think I wrapped up over $800 in the X200T. For tablet use, The $200 Venue leaves it in the dust. 

Posts 1700
JoshInRI | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 20 2014 5:40 AM

Paul - you like the Venue?

I think Bill prefers Vivo 8 because of the stylus?

I seem to be waiting.  Birthday in September.  Perhaps I can add an 8 inch to my stable then (provided my wife will remain married to me if I ask for it or buy it). Smile

Posts 406
Paul C | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 20 2014 6:03 AM

I am well pleased with the Venue. The Stylus is a weak point. Dell still maintains that future improvements in firmware will solve the issues. We will see. If the stylus is a deal breaker for you then by all means, Go for the Vivo. Other than the stylus/touch screen, the specs are nearly identical.

Posts 1700
JoshInRI | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 28 2014 10:08 AM

I still want to get an 8 inch Windows Tablet for reading and simple (maybe 2-3 window or Logos "tabbed" searches) Bible study and Sunday Morning stuff.

• Something light.
  • Something that runs cool without overheating.
  • Something inexpensive.
  • Something without huge bezels on it that to me seem to waste space
  • Something geared for "retina-like" reading
  • Something with upgradable storage but with any card I add not sticking out of the tablet
  • Something that runs Logos well even if thats all I ask the Tablet to do with say email onboard too.

Your Dell do all that?  Don't you miss the Windows button on the bottom (or off to the side) as you are using it?

Do you find its easy enough to read and do some simple layouts and searches, Sir?

Should I get 32 and upgrade the storage or buy 64 right off?

Posts 406
Paul C | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 28 2014 11:12 AM

JoshInRI:

I still want to get an 8 inch Windows Tablet for reading and simple (maybe 2-3 window or Logos "tabbed" searches) Bible study and Sunday Morning stuff.

• Something light. (Check)
  • Something that runs cool without overheating.   (Cool as a Cucumber)
  • Something inexpensive. ($250 New ... $200 Refurb)
  • Something without huge bezels on it that to me seem to waste space (Wide enough to accommodate thumbs in landscape mode) 
  • Something geared for "retina-like" reading (No Retina to compare it to. But very readable)
  • Something with upgradable storage but with any card I add not sticking out of the tablet  (Micro SD slot is concealed and has a cover. You gotta hunt for it)
  • Something that runs Logos well even if thats all I ask the Tablet to do with say email onboard too. (Does web streaming well. Google Earth and all office apps work flawlessly.)

Your Dell do all that?  Don't you miss the Windows button on the bottom (or off to the side) as you are using it? (The Windows button is not an issue. I have gotten used to it's new placement ... and like it there.)

Do you find its easy enough to read and do some simple layouts and searches, Sir? (I will include a snip of the layout I use.)

Should I get 32 and upgrade the storage or buy 64 right off? (I would definitely go for the 64GB version. Not that much more money. You would spend the difference on a high quality SD card. It's just a lot less hassle to have everything on the main drive.)

I attempted to answer your questions in the quote box Above.

Now that I have installed TouchMousePointer, The stylus issue has become a moot point. It all works well with my finger.

Posts 1700
JoshInRI | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 28 2014 1:09 PM

Cool beans - which means thanks. 

Smile

Now I will have to wait til September and convince my wife its ok as a birthday gift.  I am told we are broke right now.
I am also concerned about some of the things I have seen here

http://community.logos.com/forums/t/76770.aspx

Sigh.

Posts 406
Paul C | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 28 2014 1:22 PM

JoshInRI:
Now I will have to wait til September and convince my wife its ok as a birthday gift.  I am told we are broke right now.
Dude! If a $200 purchase would require a second mortgage or a divorce lawyer, Possibly you should just stick with your hand warmer.

Posts 1700
JoshInRI | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 28 2014 6:17 PM

Angel

Page 1 of 1 (12 items) | RSS