J.B. Phillips' New Testament

Page 1 of 4 (70 items) 1 2 3 4 Next >
This post has 69 Replies | 4 Followers

Posts 18644
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, Jan 2 2010 11:09 AM

Please “Logosify” J.B. Phillips’ wonderful translation The New Testament in Modern English – his classic phrasing of Rom 12:2 ("Don't let the world squeeze you into its mold…”) is a gem and is often quoted.

Posts 2691
DominicM | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 2 2010 11:13 AM

+1

Never Deprive Anyone of Hope.. It Might Be ALL They Have

Posts 3655
Floyd Johnson | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 2 2010 11:26 AM

Yes!

Blessings,
Floyd

Pastor-Patrick.blogspot.com

Posts 9946
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 2 2010 11:41 AM

Rosie Perera:

Please “Logosify” J.B. Phillips’ wonderful translation The New Testament in Modern English – his classic phrasing of Rom 12:2 ("Don't let the world squeeze you into its mold…”) is a gem and is often quoted.

New word alert -- "Logosify."  Rosie of the Merriam-Webster Reserve coining new words.  Big Smile

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 18644
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 2 2010 12:01 PM

George Somsel:

New word alert -- "Logosify."  Rosie of the Merriam-Webster Reserve coining new words.  Big Smile

Every noun can be verbified. ;-)  And lots of nounish adjectives can be made up, too.

Posts 2679
Kevin A. Purcell | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 2 2010 4:38 PM

Can every verb be nounified?

Posts 18644
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 2 2010 5:02 PM

Kevin A. Purcell:

Can every verb be nounified?

Yes, you just gerund it. A gerund is the "ing" noun form of a verb. Thus:

to verb - verb is a verb here
I am verbing - verbing is still a verb here
verbing is fun - verbing is a gerund here, and thus is a noun

See, we started with a verb (well, a verbified noun) and came up with a noun. Aren't grammer wunderfull? Wink

Posts 2689
Forum MVP
Ted Hans | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 9 2010 2:15 PM

Yes

Dell, studio XPS 7100, Ram 8GB, 64 - bit Operating System, AMD Phenom(mt) IIX6 1055T Processor 2.80 GHZ

Posts 8
Pastor Rick | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 6 2010 12:58 PM

Bump....

Please release this important translation.  To be honest, I am shocked that it is not already available considering how often it is quoted.

Posts 1874
Alan Macgregor | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 6 2010 1:10 PM

Absolutely! Yes I've already asked for this in two other posts! Big Smile Viz. http://community.logos.com/forums/t/12425.aspx and http://community.logos.com/forums/t/12928.aspx

Another wonderful gem from 2 Cor 4:9 – we may be knocked down but we are never knocked out!

Every blessing,

Alan

iMac Retina 5K, 27": 4GHz; 16GB RAM;MacOS 10.12.2; 1TB FD; Logos 7

MacBook Air 13.3": 1.8GHz; 4GB RAM; MacOS 10.12.2; 256GB SSD; Logos 7

iPad Pro 32GB WiFi iOS 10.2

iPhone 5s 32GB iOS 10.2

Posts 1355
Edwin Bowden | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 6 2010 1:29 PM

This would be a valuable addition--even after all these years.

Anonymous | | Replied: Sat, Mar 6 2010 1:36 PM

Considering that it's available in 'lesser regarded' products, I'm also surprised that this excellent resource isn't in Logos.

In addition to his New Testament, his Four Prophets (Hosea, Micah, Amos & 1st Isaiah) would be a welcome addition.

Posts 538
John Kaess | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 6 2010 2:06 PM

pretty please?

Posts 8
Pastor Rick | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 8 2010 7:34 PM

I totally agree. I find his translation extremely interesting. In researching Acts 8, he is the only translator to quote Peter as having told Simon Magus: To Hell with you and your money. This is precisely what Peter was saying to him which is why nearly every commentator refers to the Phillips translation on this section. It is elegant, accurate, and easy to understand. A great addition to our digital library....long, long overdue!

Posts 650
Alex Scott | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 6 2010 10:41 AM

Since I went looking for this again today, and since there has still been no response to this subject by Logos here or elsewhere as far as I can see, I'll add my request for J.B. Phillips translation too.  Too bad someone hadn't produced it with PBB.

Longtime Logos user (more than $30,000 in purchases) - now a second class user because I won't pay them more every month or year.

Posts 1674
Paul N | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 7 2010 10:24 PM

Everyone who replies here is sending a personal request via suggest@logos.com right?

btw I'm interested too! Yes

Posts 39
Peter Banks | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 8 2010 9:42 AM

Online Bible has J.B. Philips New Testament this is an example of why I can't yet delete the Online Bible from my system.

pab

Posts 214
Dan | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 8 2010 1:59 PM

Yes!

Posts 4625
RIP
Milford Charles Murray | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Sep 12 2010 8:29 PM

Alex Scott:

Since I went looking for this again today, and since there has still been no response to this subject by Logos here or elsewhere as far as I can see, I'll add my request for J.B. Phillips translation too.  Too bad someone hadn't produced it with PBB.

Peace to you, Alex, Logos Forum Neighbour just to the East of me!  And Joy in the Lord!

I've prayed for you a number of times re. the issue you mentioned recently.  That the Holy Spirit would bathe you and your household in Peace and Joy!

Anyway, re. the J.B. Phillips translation   ....    CCEL has an excellent rendition of that!  *smile*

http://www.ccel.org/bible/phillips/JBPNT.htm                   Enjoy until Logos (soon, I hope!) is able to make it available to us!

Philippians 4:  4 Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, Rejoice. 5 Let your reasonableness be known to everyone. The Lord is at hand..........

Posts 4753
David Paul | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Sep 12 2010 8:35 PM

Pastor Rick:

Bump....

Please release this important translation.  To be honest, I am shocked that it is not already available considering how often it is quoted.

You took the "shock" right out of my mouth!

Let me huzzuh the previous "Four Prophets" suggestion and add "Your God Is Too Small" to the mix. In fact, why not bundle the three together...which leads me to ask:

Btw, couldn't this bundle be offered on CP?

Yes

Page 1 of 4 (70 items) 1 2 3 4 Next > | RSS