J.B. Phillips' New Testament

Page 2 of 4 (70 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next >
This post has 69 Replies | 4 Followers

Posts 4753
David Paul | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Sep 12 2010 8:41 PM

Kevin A. Purcell:

Can every verb be nounified?

...and taking it a step further...

...can one describe the process as "nounifiedization"?

Posts 4625
RIP
Milford Charles Murray | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Sep 12 2010 9:09 PM

Milford Charles Murray:

Alex Scott:

Since I went looking for this again today, and since there has still been no response to this subject by Logos here or elsewhere as far as I can see, I'll add my request for J.B. Phillips translation too.  Too bad someone hadn't produced it with PBB.

Peace to you, Alex, Logos Forum Neighbour just to the East of me!  And Joy in the Lord!

I've prayed for you a number of times re. the issue you mentioned recently.  That the Holy Spirit would bathe you and your household in Peace and Joy!

Anyway, re. the J.B. Phillips translation   ....    CCEL has an excellent rendition of that!  *smile*

http://www.ccel.org/bible/phillips/JBPNT.htm                   Enjoy until Logos (soon, I hope!) is able to make it available to us!

BTW - I've put that site on my Logos 4 Shortcut Bar, and it is fastloading, so I almost have it in my Logos Resources.  A Logos version would be far better though!

Philippians 4:  4 Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, Rejoice. 5 Let your reasonableness be known to everyone. The Lord is at hand..........

Posts 4
Gregory Peters | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 16 2011 2:03 PM

Count me in as those who would like 'NTME' added. There, I've even given you the acrostic. Had to buy 'Your God Is Too Small' on Kindle, would prefer to have had it in my Logos library. His is the best paraphrase, Just a note, if it's good enough for Barnhouse it's good enough for me.

Posts 60
Rev. Nannette La Fosse | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 16 2011 9:51 PM

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posts 1493
Josh | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 16 2011 11:40 PM

Until this gets released, we can always enjoy the Cotton Patch Gospel! Stick out tongue

http://www.logos.com/product/3531/cotton-patch-gospel

Posts 34
St. Columcille | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 20 2011 3:39 PM

I am for ordering it on prepub. 

Although, I'd also like to see Ronald Knox's translation from the Vulgate as well. 

Posts 4625
RIP
Milford Charles Murray | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 20 2011 4:41 PM

Joshua Garcia:

Until this gets released, we can always enjoy the Cotton Patch Gospel! Stick out tongue

http://www.logos.com/product/3531/cotton-patch-gospel

Peace, Joshua!    *smile*

And!                     Joy in the Lord!

I just followed your link to the Logos Site.  According to that, the Gospel of John was not finished when Jordan died....

Just what N.T. Books does the Cotton-Patch-Gospel contain, please???

Philippians 4:  4 Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, Rejoice. 5 Let your reasonableness be known to everyone. The Lord is at hand..........

Posts 18644
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 20 2011 5:38 PM

Milford Charles Murray:
Just what N.T. Books does the Cotton-Patch-Gospel contain, please???

Here's the expanded TOC:

Posts 4625
RIP
Milford Charles Murray | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 21 2011 4:06 PM

Thanks, Rosie!   That is very helpful!

I just now put it on my Logos wish list on OneNote2010.  Very handy because I can keep changing things around on OneNote by dragging and dropping as I change my mind about what I desire most!            *smile*

Now to budget my dollars to acquire some of my desires and wishes.

It helps that the Canadian Dollar has been above par with the U.S. Dollar lately.

Peace and Joy in the Lord, Rosie!

Posts 493
Michael Anda | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 21 2011 4:47 PM

Yes

Posts 442
Tony Thomas | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 21 2011 5:52 PM

Big SmileYes

Alistair Begg often quotes it...and he is one of my favorite preachers.

JBP has always been one of my favorite paraphrases...

Director of Zoeproject 

www.zoeproject.com

Posts 18644
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 21 2011 9:37 PM

Milford Charles Murray:
I just now put it on my Logos wish list on OneNote2010.  Very handy because I can keep changing things around on OneNote by dragging and dropping as I change my mind about what I desire most! 

I hope that when Logos implements wishlists for the website they will allow us to move things up and down in priority, like we can drag things around to reorganize our Favorites, Notes, etc. But using OneNote for now seems like a good solution. I've been keeping my wishlist in a Draft email message in Outlook (that's what I use for all my temporary notes to myself; because I have Outlook running all the time).

Milford Charles Murray:

It helps that the Canadian Dollar has been above par with the U.S. Dollar lately.

That's nice to hear about. I hadn't been paying attention. Hmm, maybe it's time to splurge on some more Logos books...

Posts 294
Debra Bouey | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 9 2011 9:27 PM

Yes

Lenovo P72: Intel 8th Gen i7-8750H 6-core, 32GB RAM, 2TB HDD + 1TB Sata SSD, 17.3" FHD 1920x1080, NVIDIA Quadro P600 4GB, Win 10 Pro

Posts 34
St. Columcille | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 10 2011 7:35 AM

I'd purchase this free translation.  Course, I would like to see Ronald Knox's free translation of the Vulgate also. 

Posts 124
Dennis Hilario | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 10 2011 8:28 AM

Count me in!Yes

Posts 14
Al Jennings | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 12 2011 11:49 AM

Thanks Alan! I was looking for 2Cor 4:9 from Phillips, did a google search and landed on your post. You gotta love technology!

Much love,

Al J

Posts 118
Scot Wright | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 12 2011 12:06 PM

Yes, Phillip's paraphrase would be a gem for Logos. Also don't forget his paraphrase of the minor prophets. Another gem as well!

Posts 1874
Alan Macgregor | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 14 2011 4:51 AM

Milford Charles Murray:
 Anyway, re. the J.B. Phillips translation   ....    CCEL has an excellent rendition of that!  *smile*

http://www.ccel.org/bible/phillips/JBPNT.htm                   Enjoy until Logos (soon, I hope!) is able to make it available to us!

Milford

Thanks for that link. Big Smile

It is far handier than having to reach for my hardback print copies every time I want to checkout JB Phillips' paraphrase.

Here's my favourite bit from it.

4:7-13 - This priceless treasure we hold, so to speak, in a common earthenware jar - to show that the splendid power of it belongs to God and not to us. We are handicapped on all sides, but we are never frustrated; we are puzzled, but never in despair. We are persecuted, but we never have to stand it alone: we may be knocked down but we are never knocked out! Every day we experience something of the death of the Lord Jesus, so that we may also know the power of the life of Jesus in these bodies of ours. Yes, we who are living are always being exposed to death for Jesus' sake, so that the life of Jesus may be plainly seen in our mortal lives. We are always facing death, but this means that you know more and more of life. Our faith is like that mentioned in the scripture: 'I believed and therefore I spoke'.

It just seems to capture the tone and mood and wordplay of the original. καταβαλλόμενοι ἀλλʼ οὐκ ἀπολλύμενοι

Every blessing

Alan

iMac Retina 5K, 27": 4GHz; 16GB RAM;MacOS 10.12.2; 1TB FD; Logos 7

MacBook Air 13.3": 1.8GHz; 4GB RAM; MacOS 10.12.2; 256GB SSD; Logos 7

iPad Pro 32GB WiFi iOS 10.2

iPhone 5s 32GB iOS 10.2

Posts 4625
RIP
Milford Charles Murray | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 14 2011 5:12 AM

Alan Macgregor:

Milford Charles Murray:

Milford

Thanks for that link. Big Smile

It is far handier than having to reach for my hardback print copies every time I want to checkout JB Phillips' paraphrase.

Here's my favourite bit from it.

4:7-13 - This priceless treasure we hold, so to speak, in a common earthenware jar - to show that the splendid power of it belongs to God and not to us. We are handicapped on all sides, but we are never frustrated; we are puzzled, but never in despair. We are persecuted, but we never have to stand it alone: we may be knocked down but we are never knocked out! Every day we experience something of the death of the Lord Jesus, so that we may also know the power of the life of Jesus in these bodies of ours. Yes, we who are living are always being exposed to death for Jesus' sake, so that the life of Jesus may be plainly seen in our mortal lives. We are always facing death, but this means that you know more and more of life. Our faith is like that mentioned in the scripture: 'I believed and therefore I spoke'.

It just seems to capture the tone and mood and wordplay of the original. καταβαλλόμενοι ἀλλʼ οὐκ ἀπολλύμενοι

Every blessing

Alan

Every Blessing to you, also, Alan!

You are most welcome.  I find it indeed very handy on the "shortcut" bar.  *smile*

Here is my most favourite from Romans 12:1:

12:1-2 - With eyes wide open to the mercies of God, I beg you, my brothers, as an act of intelligent worship, to give him your bodies, as a living sacrifice, consecrated to him and acceptable by him. Don't let the world around you squeeze you into its own mould, but let God re-mould your minds from within, so that you may prove in practice that the plan of God for you is good, meets all his demands and moves towards the goal of true maturity.

Peace to you!                                            And!                                                    Joy in the Lord always!

Posts 205
Stephen Paynter | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 15 2011 1:11 AM

Rosie Perera:

Please “Logosify” J.B. Phillips’ wonderful translation The New Testament in Modern English – his classic phrasing of Rom 12:2 ("Don't let the world squeeze you into its mold…”) is a gem and is often quoted.

I love J.B. Phillip's translation of Romans 16:16: "Give each other a hearty handshake all round for my sake"

This is SO much more English than the "Greet one another with a holy kiss." (NIV), and, as an Englishman, I am sure that this is what Paul would have written if only he hadn't been an excitable foreigner!  Smile

Page 2 of 4 (70 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next > | RSS