SUGGESTION: Writing Theology Well

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
This post has 4 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 31960
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, Jun 27 2014 12:50 AM

Writing Theology Well: A Rhetoric for Theological and Biblical Writers by Lucretia Yaghjian

"Writing Theology Well is the creative fruit of just such empathy and astute attention. It is an ambitious book that condenses an entire, highly interactive course into a single volume. The result is an excellent reference for all professors of theology and religion who want to help their students write well….The text welcomes readers into a conversation about and a practice of theological writing. It succeeds in conveying that theological writing is not something in which theological students engage, and mercifully escape when theological education is over, but rather that in doing theological writing students are joining a much larger community of reflection, research, analysis, persuasion, and proclamation…Yaghjian succeeds in tying together three important dimensions of  learning to write all kinds of theology…. This book is an excellent resource for faculty who
teach courses dedicated to theological  writing. It is so well organized and complete that is of value to any faculty member, regardless of theological discipline, who  wants to do a better job of describing assignments, procedures, and criteria for writing in a particular theological mode. New faculty especially may find it helpful because the volume renders explicit what too often is implicit. Faculty can refine their thinking about theological writing by engaging this text, even if they come to it already holding strong convictions about theological writing….The text is an excellent choice for beginning  courses in theological writing, or for any integrated introductory course in he seminary curriculum." - Teaching Theology and Religion
(Sanford Lakoff Teaching Theology and Religion)

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 5205
David Paul | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 27 2014 12:58 AM

I wonder how effective this book actually is?

Oh, well...

Yes

ASROCK x570 Creator, AMD R9 3950x, HyperX 64gb 3600 RAM, Asus Strix RTX 2080 ti, 2tb m.2 Seagate Firecuda SSD (x2) ...and other mechano-digital happiness.

"The Unbelievable Work...believe it or not."

Posts 390
Alain Maashe | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 27 2014 5:56 AM

Good book!

Read it before writing my dissertation. It helped me clarify what (and how) I wanted to achieve .

Posts 2203
Joseph Turner | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 27 2014 6:34 PM

I have it and like it as well.

Disclaimer:  I hate using messaging, texting, and email for real communication.  If anything that I type to you seems like anything other than humble and respectful, then I have not done a good job typing my thoughts.

Posts 108
Steven Veach | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 24 2021 6:08 PM

This book showed up in my list when doing searches for preliminary material at the beginning of my ThD program. I reviewed it but ultimately passed on it as it (at least to me) appears to be geared toward new students (i.e. undergrad or beginning seminary). Given my time constraints, I opted for a select number of books that, although more geared to address secular research (PhD, MAs, etc), had more content for doctoral work rather than the material I'd already been exposed to in my BA and MA programs. 

Another example of this kind of book (which I did read) was Surviving and Thriving in Seminary. It does a great job of giving a large overview of Seminary life (not necessarily online format), but it does not tackle issues much pertaining to the doctoral experience (or really grad school much at all).

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS