help on search engine

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
This post has 3 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 48
Peggy Ann | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, Jul 4 2014 6:50 AM

Hello

I am wondering how or which search box to use for searching for a specific bible verse that I only know a few words of. I can never get any right results when I use the search boxes no matter what I type. I must be searching wrong. This morning I was searching for 1 John 5:13, but I only knew these words "These things have I written that" and I got nothing even close to the right answer. I ended up googling it and that is what I do now most of the time. So I figured I better start learning how to do searches in the expensive software that I purchased lol.

peggy

Posts 11306
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 4 2014 6:55 AM

Just quick question ... did you enclose in double-quotes as you showed above (in Logos)?  In Google, they try an assumed quotes first, and then individual combinations, and then individual words.

"God will save his fallen angels and their broken wings He'll mend."

Posts 23569
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 4 2014 7:08 AM

Hi Peggy

Peggy Ann:
but I only knew these words "These things have I written that"

Normally the way to run this type of search is to do a Bible search in your version of choice (which I think from the quote is KJV). As Denise suggests you should enclose the words in double-quotes. However, as you noted this doesn't provide any results

This is because the actual quote is different to the one you remembered - and Logos doesn't do "fuzzy matching" of this type

So the actual quote includes "unto you" and searching for this works fine

If you had used a shorter search string it would have worked

Hope this helps 

Graham

Posts 5573
Forum MVP
Rich DeRuiter | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 4 2014 7:28 AM

Peggy Ann:

Hello

I am wondering how or which search box to use for searching for a specific bible verse that I only know a few words of. I can never get any right results when I use the search boxes no matter what I type. I must be searching wrong. This morning I was searching for 1 John 5:13, but I only knew these words "These things have I written that" and I got nothing even close to the right answer. I ended up googling it and that is what I do now most of the time. So I figured I better start learning how to do searches in the expensive software that I purchased lol.

peggy

One of the problems in searching for verses where you remember just a few words, is that you may remember them in a version you're not searching. For example, in 1Jn 5:13, the forum shows that verse in the ESV, which does not contain the phrase you were searching for. One solution is to search through more versions. If you do a Google search, you're essentially searching all Bible versions.

A second thing you want to do when you're searching for that Bible verse you (sort of) remember, is to try to find words that are as unique as possible ("things" is fairly common, as are "I" and "have"), or whose combinations are unique. So even if you don't remember a phrase, if you remember that it has the word "written" and the word "believe." In this case don't search by phrase (with quotation marks).

A third thing to keep in mind is that Logos doesn't guess the same way Google does. But you can get more results if you make sure that you have selected "Match all word forms" (from the drop down list, when you click on the magnifying glass). This will tell Logos to look for words that have a close spelling to what you're searching for. In this case it won't catch both "write" and "written," but it will catch "believe" and "believed" (and "write" and "writings" though that doesn't help us for this search). 

A fourth strategy is to use "OR," if you're not quite sure. In this case you might try putting this in the search box" (write OR written) believe. This gets 1Jn 5:13 in the NIV and turns up a nice parallel in John 20:31.

Finally, sometimes Google will be faster. There's a lot of reasons for that, one of those is simply that Google searches everything, everywhere, and so even if you have remembered it incorrectly, or from a version you're not currently searching, chances are someone, somewhere also did the same thing.

EDITED

Help links: WIKI;  Logos 6 FAQ. (Phil. 2:14, NIV)

Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS