Charlene | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 25 2014 7:01 AM

Lee:
Congrats, Charlene. Kol ha kavod!

Todah la'El!

Charlene

Posts 525
Kent | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jul 26 2014 3:42 PM

Charlene:

I can only speak from my experience. I got my master's degree in archaeology last year studying in Jerusalem. One of the courses I took was "Jerusalem," which basically went through the ages concerning the city. Warren's books were used in several of the lectures and Barclay was used as well...I want to say that Williams seemed "familiar" but I could be wrong! Smile

I hope your work involved more recent editions than 1876.

Posts 468
Charlene | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jul 26 2014 6:21 PM

Kent:

Charlene:

I can only speak from my experience. I got my master's degree in archaeology last year studying in Jerusalem. One of the courses I took was "Jerusalem," which basically went through the ages concerning the city. Warren's books were used in several of the lectures and Barclay was used as well...I want to say that Williams seemed "familiar" but I could be wrong! Smile

I hope your work involved more recent editions than 1876.

We got into the Mamluk period, but that was about as far as we were able to go in this particular course before time ran out in the semester...that is the problem with studying an ancient city like Jerusalem...you "only" have to cover thousands of years of history! Smile BUT we did have some great field trips!

Charlene

Posts 10643
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 5 2014 8:54 AM

The little dot seems to be 'almost there' (subject to Logos investment strategies of course).  I'd say we're at maybe 95%.

And yes, I have mixed feelings, if this CP crosses the line.  The Classical Apostolic Fathers is 'in development' and appears to become very classical by the time it emerges.  Will 'Jerusalem' be the same?

So much to fret about.  Well, gee.  If you've already got the promise of heaven, best to pick tiny things to fret about, right?

https://www.logos.com/product/39933/archaeological-and-theological-studies-of-jerusalem 

And for any that are still looking for 'why' this CP??  

Here's another example  (my little rabbits know no bounds).  I'm presently struggling through Dale Allison's 'Constructing Jesus' (Dale's far better at assembling a vast number of notes, than sticking with disciplined logic).  Anyway he uses Judas the Galillean in part of his argument (which I thought stretched the bounds of parallelism). But surprisingly, our CP speaks to good old Judas himself.  Well, howdy-do!  I don't know but I'm also hoping to see more on the 'Alexandrian connection' that financed Titus.

https://www.logos.com/product/39933/archaeological-and-theological-studies-of-jerusalem#009 

"I didn't know God made honky tonk angels."

Posts 10643
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 8 2014 6:32 PM

Wow!! Pretty nifty.  It went 'over the top' on Friday on or about 1:07pm (give or take).  Let's see. That means we have just short of a full week.

Hmmm .... let's do the math (this is especially tricky):

- CP price right now: $40

- Price on publishing: $162.95  (let's be thankful for that nickel discount)

Extra dinero should someone be 'asleep at the wheel' between now and next Friday noon: $122.95.

And that assumes no more orders for this resource.  Not too shabby a savings for the smart ones.

Then there's the virgins that didn't prepare their oil: 'Oh my ... $162.95?????'  A knowledgable Logosian drawls (Texas talk) ... yeh, I got it on CP for $40 back in 2014.

Actually that's exactly what Milford liked to do.  He was a sweety.

And as they say in Japan ... mou ichidou?  Sure ... https://www.logos.com/product/39933/archaeological-and-theological-studies-of-jerusalem 

Posts 9163
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 9 2014 7:14 AM

Denise:

- CP price right now: $40

- Price on publishing: $162.95  (let's be thankful for that nickel discount)

I think that it could make it to $35 and maybe even $30.

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 708
Kevin A Lewis | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 11 2014 2:21 AM

any serious Scholars should have this set - let's drive the price down

Posts 708
Kevin A Lewis | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 12 2014 3:14 AM

More bids needed - to drive this one down

Posts 10643
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 12 2014 7:32 AM

Some folks probably wonder how these volumes can help in their own readings and study.  And the CP does bounce around a lot in coverage.

For illustration, here's another example from my own rabbit trails. I'd always wondered just how the greek gymnasium fit in to the Temple area.  Just judging from today's very-religious (e.g. jewish orthodox or muslim), a gym would have had to be a super-irritant.  And maps do indeed show its location; just hard to imagine how it would fit in.

Plus, the gym would have been a 'player' for several centuries before the arrival of the Messiah.

Posts 708
Kevin A Lewis | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 13 2014 9:41 AM

bump

Posts 10643
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 13 2014 2:52 PM

I appreciate Kevin's help in 'bumping' duties. I get the feeling he may be in Europe with 3am bumpings!

Hopefully not boring anyone but demonstrating the breadth of interesting info.  In the Carta volume mentioned earlier, a goal was to try to locate the original Temple. One of the early physical issues surrounding sacrifices on an alter, was the problem of disposing of blood.  Certainly at the Temple where large numbers of sacrifices occurred.  This quote illustrates the connecting of these volumes (the CP) to passages in the Mishnah, and thense to Josephus (all, by the way, in Logos of course!).

Posts 708
Kevin A Lewis | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 14 2014 4:07 AM

Not in Europe - in the UK

Both are artificial concepts - but Europe the more so

Shalom

Posts 10643
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 14 2014 11:03 AM

Ah so Kevin ... UK.  Well, that makes even more sense!  Here we thought you stayed up all night.

To continue our mini-blog (one more entry tomorrow before Rip Van Winkle-ess goes to sleep waiting for Logos' publication), below is a drawing from Barclay.  The Barclay volume (in the CP) has quite a number of illustrations, most from the period before 'western civilization' arrived.

You'll notice the Xystus (gym) parked right up against the Herodian Temple platform, with another of the CP volumes noting a slow degradation in the Temple participation by priests in favor of greek culture (pre-Macabbees). Note also the 'mint'.  Of course, as you read these volumes and then later archaeologists, the theories bounce around quite a bit on the pieces.

Posts 10643
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 15 2014 7:13 AM

Well, OK.  We must bid adeu to this CP at 12pm today. And the Rip Van Winkle-ess will stop her nutty mini-blog.

If this is your first contact with this CP, take a gander .... you're likely to benefit from it in your library down the road.

Today's entry may be a bit uncomfortable for many on the forum.  But it demonstrates the width of coverage for the volumes in the CP.  This is a section that describes the chronology of the crusades.  It's kind of interesting. At some points you think the crusaders are pretty much finished, only to read minutes later, the opposing side (variation of participants ... jewish, arab, persian) is in big trouble.

Posts 8893
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 4 2014 9:51 AM

Thanks for pushing this through CP.

Denise:
I'd assume, if I were touring Jerusalem, it'd also be a fun series to have at my Logos-tips.

Indeed. Which is why I really wish they'd release this soon. But I assume I'll be out of luck.Sad

Denise:

Interesting drawing. It places the Temple complex between the Dome of the Rock and Al Aqsa. Don't think I've seen that before.

"The Christian way of life isn't so much an assignment to be performed, as a gift to be received."  Wilfrid Stinissen

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Posts 10643
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 4 2014 11:00 AM

Well, I sure hope you got or will get 'the Quest'.  Just the pictures and calculated drawings are worth price.  I'd never go to Israel, and then buy the 'Quest' later.  You've been there previously, but the minute examination of 'the rock' I'd have to do for sure.

And relative to Temple placement, the above drawing did seem a bit odd, since the fancy barracks I think were Roman (the foundations going back to the greeks).  But I've seen arguments for the barracks almost covering the traditional Temple mount, with the Temple itself down below.

I'd suspect many don't see 'placement' as significant, other than trying to get the Wailing Wall inside the compound.  I remain convinced the original had to be a royal shrine, located well below the more formal Canaanite/Egytian temples.  I just can't see YHWH not BBQ'ing Solomon, when Solomon built the competitor temples in the most holy location (per Ezekiel and Luke).

Page 2 of 2 (37 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS