How do we know what got updated in an updated resource please?

Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
This post has 9 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 1738
JoshInRI | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, Jul 12 2014 10:54 AM

I got this note on my homepage recently

Resources Updated on Wednesday, July 9, 2014
Updated Resources
The following resources were updated:

and then a short list including Bible Knowledge Commentary.

I wonder how can we find out what was actually corrected or updated in the resources that follow please?

Posts 18885
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jul 12 2014 11:07 AM

This request has come up before, and Bob Pritchett has answered that it is not worth employees' time to write up documentation of what exactly has changed. Usually it's fixing typos, fixing tagging errors, and suchlike. Their time is better spent actually fixing things, rather than documenting what has been fixed.

Posts 1738
JoshInRI | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jul 12 2014 2:08 PM

Thanks Rosie....blessings.

Posts 1072
William Gabriel | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jul 12 2014 6:04 PM

Rosie Perera:

This request has come up before, and Bob Pritchett has answered that it is not worth employees' time to write up documentation of what exactly has changed. Usually it's fixing typos, fixing tagging errors, and suchlike. Their time is better spent actually fixing things, rather than documenting what has been fixed.

If they use any type of version control, it would be almost trivial to provide diffs.

Posts 29293
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jul 12 2014 9:20 PM

William Gabriel:
it would be almost trivial to provide diffs.

What would be the increase traffic? How many people would want to use them as compared to the total number of owners of the resource? I certainly would not want to be bothered with diffs ... although I am marginally interested in knowing what tagging (and indirectly functionality) has been added.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 1545
Forum MVP
Veli Voipio | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jul 13 2014 6:15 AM

MJ. Smith:
I am marginally interested in knowing what tagging (and indirectly functionality) has been added

Yes

Gold package, and original language material and ancient text material, SIL and UBS books, discourse Hebrew OT and Greek NT. PC with Windows 8.1

Posts 2588
Lee | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jul 13 2014 10:20 AM

Some information may be useful, e.g. systemic changes in major reference works. Occasionally Logos does give a brief statement of changes made.

Posts 18885
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jul 13 2014 12:32 PM

Lee:
Occasionally Logos does give a brief statement of changes made.

Yes, they do. If they don't, you can most likely assume it was inconsequential. They get thousands and thousands of typo reports from us, and are trying to do a better job of staying on top of the backlog of those. I always assume most of the resource updates are to fix typos, adding more tagging for Logos Controlled Vocabulary or the other databases (events for timelines, speaker, referent, etc.). In other words, they are always working to improve the resources and make them more useful to us. I don't think it would change how I use the resources to know that they've improved this particular list of them in thus-and-such a way. I wouldn't add them to different collections knowing that they are better tagged or anything. We should always assume that the resources we buy are fully tagged to make use of all of Logos features, and if they're not now, they will be sometime in the (hopefully near) future. So all these little improvements over time should seamlessly improve our experience of using Logos. I personally think it would be a waste of my time looking up what the specific changes were each time resources update, as they are frequently updating for me, with a library of 14,000+ resources. And I think it would be a waste of Logos's electronic book development department's time documenting the changes any more than they already do.

Posts 29293
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jul 13 2014 3:08 PM

Rosie Perera:
they've improved this particular list of them in thus-and-such a way. I wouldn't add them to different collections knowing that they are better tagged or anything

I have a collection for outlines that don't appear in the outline section, sermons that don't appear in the sermon section, dictionaries that aren't coded for LCV so I do adjust my collections based on current state of tagging.

Rosie Perera:
We should always assume that the resources we buy are fully tagged to make use of all of Logos features,

I wish it were true but the percentage of new resources that are only partially tagged has taught me "don't assume". I test the resources for tagging, complain to Logos and add to collections accordingly.

I don't particularly want notification but I would love to have predefined collections of untagged sermons, untagged outlines, untagged LCV, uncurated Saints ... etc,

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 18885
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jul 13 2014 3:25 PM

MJ. Smith:

Rosie Perera:
they've improved this particular list of them in thus-and-such a way. I wouldn't add them to different collections knowing that they are better tagged or anything

I have a collection for outlines that don't appear in the outline section, sermons that don't appear in the sermon section, dictionaries that aren't coded for LCV so I do adjust my collections based on current state of tagging.

That's a unique use of collections, but I guess it makes sense, so that you have a temporary way of finding the things that would be missing otherwise until Logos finishes tagging the things that should have been tagged properly when they shipped. And a way of keeping track of things to report issues to Logos.

MJ. Smith:

Rosie Perera:
We should always assume that the resources we buy are fully tagged to make use of all of Logos features,

I wish it were true but the percentage of new resources that are only partially tagged has taught me "don't assume". I test the resources for tagging, complain to Logos and add to collections accordingly.

I didn't mean "assume" in the sense of "this is the reality now" but rather I act as if this were the reality already (knowing that it might not be yet, and in fact likely isn't), kind of like living in the "already but not yet" of the future kingdom of God. I figure things will start working properly once the tagging is completed without my having to adjust anything, which is why I don't need to know when they update the tagging. You have much more passion for helping Logos get the tagging right than I do. I've long ago given up putting in that much time. Thank you for all you do. I hope they pay attention to you and that you feel your time pays off.

Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS