Request: Lexham Bible Guides

Page 1 of 1 (15 items)
This post has 14 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 1306
Mike Tourangeau | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Jul 17 2014 8:21 AM

I have been soooo interested in the Bible Guides, the concept is brilliant. However, I'm concerned that I may not have many of the resources linked in the guides. Given the price for these I hesitate. 

Could someone at Logos make a product page where we can see what resources are usein each.... Even a list of recommended ones?

I am tempted to go for the discounted guides on Paul's epistles but Im not sure......

Posts 1130
Keith Larson | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 17 2014 8:29 AM

You may want to note that the discount for individual guides is greater than the whole collection.Confused

Posts 1130
Keith Larson | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 17 2014 8:31 AM

BTW you did get Dynamic Pricing on the collection so trying one guide might to is if you like it might be better than springing for the $400+ price of the whole thing.

Posts 1306
Mike Tourangeau | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 17 2014 8:37 AM

Keith Larson:

You may want to note that the discount for individual guides is greater than the whole collection.Confused

Hi Keith....I am suffering with the flue so I can't grasp what you are saying. I don't see all of them on sale individually. 

Posts 1130
Keith Larson | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 17 2014 8:46 AM

Mike Tourangeau:

Keith Larson:

Hi Keith....I am suffering with the flue so I can't grasp what you are saying. I don't see all of them on sale individually. 

Just three from the Paul collection.

https://www.logos.com/product/26395/lexham-bible-guide-galatians 22% off verses 20%.

https://www.logos.com/product/26394/lexham-bible-guide-1-thessalonians 27% verses 20%

https://www.logos.com/product/25325/lexham-bible-guide-ephesians 33% verses 20%

I have Ephesians so I am not sure the 33% discount is correct. Prices and discounts do goofy things for resources you already own.

BTW my because I own Ephesians my dynamic price goes down to $401.95. You can compare this to your quoted price to see what Logos credits ownership of Ephesians as.

Posts 7424
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 17 2014 8:50 AM

All I can say is OUCH! Lexham Press Scholar's Bundle and Lexham Press Pastor's Bundle 

With a price tag like that and not owning the resources linked to these bundles, I'd feel sorry for whoever owns them and not really be able to use them to their full potential.  

One thing to note is that Lexham Method Series (currently on CP) seems to be complete and ready, but only as part of this bundle.  For the rest who might want it at a cheaper price, many bids will have to be put down on them in order to be made available as a single bundle.

Anyway, nice concept, but too pricey for me at this moment.  By the way, both bundles have 50 volumes each.

DAL

Posts 454
Dave Moser | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 17 2014 9:08 AM

I for one don't see much value in the Lexham guides. From what I can tell they are simply...

1. an annotated version of your passage guide
  2. an annotated list of other valuable resources

You can get that same information in commentary surveys for WAY less.

Posts 7424
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 17 2014 9:14 AM

Dave Moser:

I for one don't see much value in the Lexham guides. From what I can tell they are simply...

1. an annotated version of your passage guide
  2. an annotated list of other valuable resources

You can get that same information in commentary surveys for WAY less.

I think I'd rather stick to the Exegetical Summaries Series which seems to be a cheaper version.  Yes, Lexham Guides are less technical with technical material, but still, I still believe they're too pricey.  Great concept, but not within reach to many of us on a low book budget (even with payment plan).

Posts 102
LogosEmployee
Doug Mangum | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 17 2014 10:30 AM

Mike, 

The bibliography for Lexham Bible Guide: Romans has about 200 entries. I don't have hard data on what was linked to the most, but I know these commentaries were regularly included: Moo in NICNT and NIVAC, Schreiner in BECNT, Dunn in WBC, Mounce in NAC, Barrett in Black's NT Commentary, Kruse from PNTC, Cranfield in ICC, Byrne in Sacra Pagina, Fitzmyer in Anchor, Osborne in IVP NT Commentary, Matera from Paideia, Edwards from Understanding the Bible (formerly New In'tl Biblical Commentary), Mohrlang in Cornerstone Bible Commentary, Sanday and Headlam (older ICC). A few other commentaries were referenced off and on. Quite a few journal articles and monographs relevant to Pauline studies were also included like Sanders' Paul and Palestinian Judaism, Justification and Variegated Nomism, and Wright's Paul and the Faithfulness of God. Many relevant Bible dictionary articles are linked when topics are introduced, issues of Graeco-Roman background are covered with links to relevant resources, and so on. 

BUT, these guides were prepared so that you can benefit from them even if you don't have all the linked resources. It's more than an annotated passage guide because the passage guide only shows you what you have in your library. The Lexham Bible Guides are commentary-like on their own much more than the Exegetical Summaries because they explain issues instead of just listing possible answers. You will also get a much better sense of the reasons behind exegetical debates. Personally I find the Exegetical Summaries kind of bland. If it's helpful for some people, I'm happy that they like it, but I designed Lexham Bible Guides because I wanted something different. I prefer a summary of the interpretive options and why they matter, not just a collection of snippets from various commentators strung together without a sense of how they would respond to each other and where they disagree. 

So my opinion is that you would benefit from these guides on their own. If you have a base package with a few commentaries (like NAC or Black's) and Bible dictionaries, you may get more out of it, but the resource is designed for the links to be there for you to follow back on our research if you want to, not because you have to in order to use the resource. Admittedly, I designed this series so I'm a fan, but I really did want it to be useful on its own. 

Posts 1306
Mike Tourangeau | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 17 2014 12:03 PM

Doug Mangum:
Admittedly, I designed this series so I'm a fan

And you should be, they look excellent!

Do you know if Romans will be offered as a single resource?

Posts 102
LogosEmployee
Doug Mangum | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 17 2014 1:09 PM

Mike Tourangeau:

Do you know if Romans will be offered as a single resource?

I expect some day these will be reconfigured into sub-collections and more made available individually, but right now, we're just excited to have finally completed the Paul collection.

Posts 176
Rob | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 18 2014 5:28 AM

So are these products static? 

Or will there be links added to them as products are added to Logos? 

I recently purchased the New Interpreters Bible Dictionary forgoing the older Anchor Bible Dictionary.

Will we begin to see new links to this and other products in the Lexham Bible Guides ? 

Posts 715
Kevin A Lewis | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 18 2014 5:40 AM

Very good question - and could the links be mulit layered - i.e. link to the resource priority set by the user - with optional overrides

Shalom

Posts 1130
Keith Larson | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 18 2014 7:39 AM

I was wondering the same thing. One of the nice features of the Lexham Study Bible and Dictionary is they are continually being updated.

Posts 102
LogosEmployee
Doug Mangum | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 18 2014 9:09 AM

Rob:

So are these products static? 

Or will there be links added to them as products are added to Logos? 

I recently purchased the New Interpreters Bible Dictionary forgoing the older Anchor Bible Dictionary.

Will we begin to see new links to this and other products in the Lexham Bible Guides ? 

Everything we create, including Lexham Bible Dictionary, Faithlife Study Bible, and Lexham Bible Guides, is designed to be updated or added to. But new resources are added to the wider Logos library too frequently for us to continually add links to relevant products that have been added to the library. So we do plan to keep updating these resources like we have been with the study Bible and Bible dictionary, but how often and to what extent is yet to be determined.

Page 1 of 1 (15 items) | RSS