was Fuzzy Search shelved?

Page 1 of 2 (33 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 32 Replies | 4 Followers

Posts 1281
toughski | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, Jul 19 2014 1:21 AM

on Dec 29, 2011 Bob Pritchett stated "We anticipate bringing back fuzzy search as well."

is it still planned or has been abandoned?

There is a HUGE value in it especially related to searches involving proper names because misspellings often produce no results.

would love to see Fuzzy Search in Logos!

Posts 1341
PL | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jul 19 2014 3:20 AM

Yes

Posts 26518
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jul 19 2014 7:09 PM

AFAIK it's still epected

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 8941
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jul 19 2014 8:07 PM

We just have to be patient.

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 1281
toughski | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jul 20 2014 3:18 AM

Bruce Dunning:

We just have to be patient.

you just had to use this word, hadn't you? I hope Logos does not follow the pattern of God promising a son to Abram. Although it has not been 23 years yet, this has dragged on since 2009, I believe. What I would like to ask Logos is to stop making FAKE promises. Maybe instead of saying "we anticipate" or "we plan" they should say "we wish."

in addition, Logos can come out and say "we definitely are NOT planning to introduce <feature> this year"

Here we are not talking about some fringe feature. I wonder if Logos has statistics for how many of their searches come up blank and the reasons why. Fuzzy search is fundamental in finding information in users' large libraries.

here are some Google statistics:

• 50% of 6 million monthly Google Play search terms are misspelled
  • for example, “Britney Spears” is misspelled 20 percent of the time in Google, and there are about 600 common misspellings of her name, according to Google founder Sergey Brin. Here are different ways that Google users happen to misspell their targeted keywords:

1.) Flat out misspelling words
    Example: britney spears–>brittany spears

2.) Hitting the wrong key
    Example: britney spears–> brotney spears

3.) Hitting a letter one too many times
    Example: britney spears–> brittney spears

4.) Omitting a letter (especially while typing on these "chiclet" laptop keyboards nowadays)
    Example: britney spears–> britny spears

5.) Transposing letters
    Example: britney spears—> britneys pears

now, “Britney Spears” is a sensible North American name. Is it too much of a stretch to assume that Nebuchadnezzar, and Abednego would be misspelled?

Posts 8012
LogosEmployee

I don't anticipate shipping Fuzzy Search this year.

Posts 18668
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jul 20 2014 5:41 PM

Wow, Bradley. What a way to deflate expectations. Do you still plan to do it someday?

Posts 1836
David Thomas | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jul 20 2014 6:50 PM

Rosie Perera:

Wow, Bradley. What a way to deflate expectations. Do you still plan to do it someday?

I wonder if somebody in Logos marketing has learned that great customer approval quote - "always under-promise and over-deliver" :)

Making Disciples!  Logos Ecosystem = Logos8 on Microsoft Surface Pro 4 (Win10), Android app on tablet, FSB on iPhone, [deprecated] Windows App, Proclaim, Faithlife.com, FaithlifeTV via Connect subscription.

Posts 8012
LogosEmployee
Bradley Grainger (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jul 20 2014 11:07 PM

Rosie Perera:
Do you still plan to do it someday?

A poster has suggested in this thread that I shouldn't use the words "we plan", so I think it would be inadvisable to answer this question (since I can't predict how things will change, and I'd rather not be accused of making a "FAKE promise").

Posts 26518
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jul 20 2014 11:29 PM

Bradley Grainger (Logos):
"FAKE promise"

Obviously written by someone who needs to do a word study on the English word "plan" ... and I have a list of suggestions for tools to make the word study more linguistically and visually oriented. I think you promised me 400 additional programmers devoted to the PC version of Logo 5 by February 30th.Wink

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 758
David A Egolf | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 21 2014 9:49 PM

We discussed a different kind of "fuzzy" search at our Phoenix Logos Users Group meeting last Thursday.  One of our members said that he had had great success using Google to locate Bible verses when he couldn't remember the correct wording.  

Posts 18668
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 21 2014 11:27 PM

David A Egolf:

We discussed a different kind of "fuzzy" search at our Phoenix Logos Users Group meeting last Thursday.  One of our members said that he had had great success using Google to locate Bible verses when he couldn't remember the correct wording.  

Yup, I do that too. Too bad. I really wish I could do all my Bible searching within Logos.

Posts 3073
Milkman | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 22 2014 2:10 PM

I agree. Wish we had it again.

David A Egolf:

mm.

Posts 26518
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 22 2014 4:17 PM

features is an alternative software that should be in Logos:

find similar phrases with the [FUZZY], allusions with the [INFER] command, or words that occur a specified number of times in a given search range with the [COUNT] command

Posts 10177
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 22 2014 4:49 PM

Since the Logos official has been accused of anticipation deflation, I thought, well, heh .... maybe there's a business opportunity here?

Anyone wanting to see a fuzzy logic query can simply ask on this thread, attach maybe a dollar to your question (just tape it to your screen; I'll go around and pick them up later), and I'll be happy to gin Libby up to answer the question!

Here's a sample:  .2548.fuzzy.txt.

It's really quite interesting. I simply typed in 'Abraham son' and 9 Bibles.  If you look at the list, it first tries a more direct match, then maybe a mispelling (son vs one), re-ordering, and then a fascinating shift to 'father' and eventually 'offspring'  ... I guess they coded that in?

Kind of interesting.  By the way, if you don't have the $1,  then just forget it.  Libby's a tough lady.  And if you do have the $1, well, we probably better forget that too.  Libby hates to embarrass the Logos team.

Posts 758
David A Egolf | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 22 2014 5:04 PM

Denise:

Here's a sample:  .2548.fuzzy.txt.

I thought the sample was really interesting until I saw the last line: "There were no results for this search." 

So apparently everything we were reading was "no results".  I guess that is pretty fuzzy, as things go. Wink

Posts 10177
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 22 2014 5:11 PM

That was back in the days when Logos coders had a humbling sense of humor.  Instead of later bragging about 12,342,121 results that you can't use.

Actually the phrase isn't in the original display; it only gets picked up with a select-all/copy.  Maybe part of Libby's dieing words.

Not displayed in the text file, the Libronix coders even highlighted which words they were working off of (e.g. spellings, equivalents, etc).  Even Google doesn't do that!

Posts 8941
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 22 2014 5:30 PM

Rosie Perera:
I really wish I could do all my Bible searching within Logos.

Me too.

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 54
Michael Sheaver | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 23 2014 6:06 PM

Everyone,

I agree with the need for fuzzy search within Logos/Verbum, but we must understand that it is a very complex feature to implement. The reason that Google is so good at fuzzy searches is that they have thousands of engineers and millions of dollars devoted to developing this technology. Logos is a small company that does not have these kinds of resources. In addition, the Logos/Verbum software uses open source the Emdros text database engine (http://www.emdros.org), and it appears to not support fuzzy search in its current iteration. In short, let us have some more patience and compassion on the great folks at Logos.

Posts 10177
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 23 2014 6:20 PM

Michael, I see no reason why Logos couldn't hire some of the Libronix coders, and then go from there.  If Libronix can figure it out, why can't Logos?  

And the fact that the Libronix users didn't use it much (according to the Libronix executives) should be ignored. Logos is different.

Page 1 of 2 (33 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS