Greek text in Reverse Interlinear

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
This post has 3 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 52
Charles C.G. Miller | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, Jul 19 2014 7:29 PM

I was looking at Colossians 1:15 and noticed that the Greek text displayed in the Interlinear window at the bottom of the text is different in the KJV, NKJV, and ESV. I am not surprised and happy to see it if it is the result of accurately matching the Bible text with the Greek version (NT) used for the translation. How can I discover the version of the Greek and Hebrew text displayed in the Reverse Interlinear with each Bible version?

Posts 27121
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jul 19 2014 7:44 PM

I don't know if this will fully answer your question... but if you press the "information" button (circle around an 'i') in the resource's tab window, you will learn more about the resource. For the ESV, this is what I found:

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 26014
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jul 19 2014 8:31 PM

The intent is to use the text used by the translators including their choice on questionable readings.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 13141
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jul 20 2014 12:51 AM

Charles C.G. Miller:
How can I discover the version of the Greek and Hebrew text displayed in the Reverse Interlinear with each Bible version?

You can't do this exactly, because each English translation weighs up the manuscript evidence slightly differently. That means there is no single Greek text that exactly matches individual English translations.

Here's an earlier post where this is discussed (with the relevant bit copied below).

Rick Brannan (Logos):

Generally, we use the text that the translation is based on if we can do it at all, and we can do this in the NT, for the most part (where this discussion seems to be focused). If we don't know the exact edition, we get as close as we can.

Specifically:

ESV: We use a modified version of the UBS/NA text; the publisher provided the modifications. There are just over 100 divergences, I believe.

KJV/NKJV/RV1960: We use the Scrivener edition of the TR as its basic purpose is to attempt to re-create the text the NT KJV translators had at hand. The NKJV uses the same text; as does the RV1960 (Spanish).

NASB/NRSV/LEB: These use the UBS/NA edition of the NT.

NLT: We use a modified version of the UBS/NA text; the publisher provided the modifications. I don't recall the number of divergences here. Over 100 and under 300, I believe.

NIV: This NT reverse interlinear alignment is in the production stage (we have someone working on the alignment). We are aligning to the UBS/NA text as we do not have permission to republish or access to the Greek text behind the NIV (available in print in Goodrich & Lukaszewski's A Reader's Greek New Testament), so we are aligning the best we can, and will insert notes at divergence points. Note that many of these are available in the NIV NT footnotes that have "Some MSS have ..." style notes. The Greek text behind the NIV has, I believe, between 100-150 divergences from the UBS/NA text.

As for OT Reverse Interlinears, at present they are all aligned with the Andersen-Forbes Analyzed Hebrew Text.

So, Sam, to answer your question: For the Greek NT, the KJV and NIV reverse interlinears will use different underlying texts. For the Hebrew OT, they will use the same underling text.

Hope it helps.

The post is a bit dated (the NIV is finished, and OT now aligns with the Lexham Hebrew Bible), but the process is the same.

Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS