REQ Recommendation: Study on Suffering

Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
This post has 9 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 2089
Randy W. Sims | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, Jul 25 2014 4:15 PM

Can you recommend a good study on suffering? For a small group, on a layperson level. Preferably, including questions/exercises or with a study guide. Suffering from circumstance both within and without our control, physical pain, etc. Something with a healthy dose of owning circumstances to our ability to do so. Physical pain you can't always change, but if your mate is divorcing you, "leaving it all in God's hands", is not an entirely complete solution, etc.

Posts 9495
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 25 2014 4:34 PM

I highly recommend this - https://www.logos.com/product/40471/suffering-and-the-sovereignty-of-god My brother-in-law passed away from cancer a few years ago and before he did he was very encouraged by Piper's chapter called "Don't Waste Your Cancer".

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 2089
Randy W. Sims | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jul 26 2014 7:33 AM

Many thanks for the suggestion Bruce. I'm checking it out now.

Posts 346
Lonnie Spencer | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jul 26 2014 7:48 AM

I think "The God I Don't Understand: reflections on tough questions of faith" By Christopher Wright is worth looking at as well. He spends the first 70 pages on the problem of suffering and evil.  https://www.logos.com/product/26740/the-god-i-dont-understand-reflections-on-tough-questions-of-faith

Posts 2261
David Thomas | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jul 26 2014 9:32 AM

I deeply appreciate Jerry Bridges' wisdom - https://www.logos.com/product/2787/trusting-god-even-when-life-hurts A bonus is that the audio is on pre-pub so when it is released dynamic pricing should make it VERY affordable to get the audio for those in your small group who are not readers.

Making Disciples!  Logos Ecosystem = Logos8 on Microsoft Surface Pro 4 (Win10), Android app on tablet, FSB on iPhone, [deprecated] Windows App, Proclaim, Faithlife.com, FaithlifeTV via Connect subscription.

Posts 2089
Randy W. Sims | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jul 27 2014 2:47 PM

Thanks for the suggestions. These all appear to be great texts and I will likely consult them all, along with a few others I stumbled across. I think I'll probably go with Jerry Bridges as my main text since I recently went through his "Pursuit of Holiness" study and got a great deal out of it. I didn't realize he also had a study on this topic and it didn't jump out in any of my searches on this topic. From the preview on this book I'm not sure I completely agree with his theology, but I'm sure we will learn a great deal from it. Thanks for the suggestion David, and to Lonnie and Bruce for the other great suggestions.

Posts 2261
David Thomas | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jul 27 2014 5:36 PM

I am glad to see a Forum post where somebody asked for a recommendation. Several different suggestions were offered to help out a fellow forum user and the discussion did not degrade into a theological argument!!

Making Disciples!  Logos Ecosystem = Logos8 on Microsoft Surface Pro 4 (Win10), Android app on tablet, FSB on iPhone, [deprecated] Windows App, Proclaim, Faithlife.com, FaithlifeTV via Connect subscription.

Posts 9495
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jul 27 2014 6:06 PM

David Thomas:

I am glad to see a Forum post where somebody asked for a recommendation. Several different suggestions were offered to help out a fellow forum user and the discussion did not degrade into a theological argument!!

Smile Yes

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 346
Lonnie Spencer | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 28 2014 12:01 PM

David Thomas:

Hopefully it will be something that will catch onYes

Posts 2662
mab | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 28 2014 5:04 PM

Not sure if this is in Logos or not, but it's quite good as a devotional focus: The Suffering Savior by Krummacher.

Also head straight over to 2 Corinthians for an understanding of how God uses our sufferings. 

The mind of man is the mill of God, not to grind chaff, but wheat. Thomas Manton | Study hard, for the well is deep, and our brains are shallow. Richard Baxter

Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS