DBL Greek opens to the wrong resources

Page 1 of 1 (14 items)
This post has 13 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 804
Bill Fiess | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Jan 4 2010 4:38 AM

I seem to be having trouble using the Dictionary of Biblical Languages with Semantic Domains: Greek. It will open correctly to the LN numbers but NOT to the Strongs or the TDNT numbers. Any suggestions?

Posts 27232
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 6 2010 3:37 AM

You have to see which resources are listed before DBL Greek when you right click a Strong's number or TDNT number and then Prioritize DBL Greek above them eg.

• DBL Greek
  • Louw-Nida Lexicon  
  • TDNT
  • Enhanced Strong's Lexicon

I'm not sure it opens for LN numbers as there is no index for it!

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 804
Bill Fiess | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 6 2010 4:46 AM

Thanks, Dave - but it doesn't seem to work for me. With the priorities as you suggested TDNT and Strongs will not open for me.

Posts 27232
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 6 2010 5:11 AM

BillFiess:

Thanks, Dave - but it doesn't seem to work for me. With the priorities as you suggested TDNT and Strongs will not open for me.

What resources are listed before DBL Greek on the context menu for Greek Strong's, TDNT number? Post a graphic to illustrate what is happening.

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 584
Gary O'Neal | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 6 2010 5:19 AM

BillFiess:

I seem to be having trouble using the Dictionary of Biblical Languages with Semantic Domains: Greek. It will open correctly to the LN numbers but NOT to the Strongs or the TDNT numbers. Any suggestions?

You're right, Bill. It's doing the same thing for me. Dave, he's in the resource Dictionary of Biblical Languages: Greek. There are links to Strongs and TDNT. These should open Strongs and TDNT no matter how anything else is prioritized. When you hover over the link, it brings up the same reference in DBL: Greek. The DBL: Hebrew works right.

πάντα εἰς δόξαν θεοῦ ποιεῖτε

Posts 804
Bill Fiess | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 6 2010 5:40 AM

You're right, Gary. But I can't even get the DBL Hebrew to work correctly. If I prioritize Strongs above TWOT, then only Strongs will come up [and vice versa].

Posts 19333
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 6 2010 5:43 AM

Gary O'Neal:

BillFiess:

You're right, Bill. It's doing the same thing for me. Dave, he's in the resource Dictionary of Biblical Languages: Greek. There are links to Strongs and TDNT. These should open Strongs and TDNT no matter how anything else is prioritized. When you hover over the link, it brings up the same reference in DBL: Greek. The DBL: Hebrew works right.

Bill, both Strong's and TDNT resources are able to be keyed to either Strongs or TDNT numbers (which would be useful if someone only had one or the other in their library). Since you have both, what you need to do is set prioritization limits on Strong's and TDNT so that they each open only their respective numbers. Mark Barnes has a great set of videos on prioritization and advanced prioritization which I recommend you watch. But the short answer is: go into your Library, open the Prioritize pane, locate Strong's and TDNT respectively in your library and drag them to the prioritization pane if they aren't there already (doesn't matter which order). Then right click each one respectively and select "Set prioritization limits (advanced)." Then in the first dropdown under "Apply only to" ("of this type"), select the respective type of number (TDNT numbers for TDNT, Strong's numbers for Strongs).

Gary, I am not sure why this is working fine for you in DBL Hebrew but not in DBL Greek, unless you happen to have the prioritization limits set up already for Hebrew but not for Greek.

Posts 804
Bill Fiess | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 6 2010 5:54 AM

I have no suggestions, Rosie. There seems to be problems with both DBL Greek and DBL Hebrew.

Posts 27232
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 6 2010 5:55 AM

Gary O'Neal:
Dave, he's in the resource Dictionary of Biblical Languages: Greek. There are links to Strongs and TDNT. These should open Strongs and TDNT no matter how anything else is prioritized.

Sorry, I had it the other way around. Things are not as simple as they were in L3. The Prioritize list is a compromise, so whilst I might suggest something that works for this case it may not work elsewhere. List as follows:-

• DBL Greek  --> restrict to Greek from (advanced) option on Context menu
  • Louw-Nida Lexicon  
  • TDNT

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 19333
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 6 2010 6:19 AM

BillFiess:

I have no suggestions, Rosie. There seems to be problems with both DBL Greek and DBL Hebrew.

I've worked with this further and saw that my initial answer wasn't sufficient. So I thought maybe you could get it to work by also using the "from this resource" field in the prioritization limits to force DBL Greek to only go to Strong's for Strong's numbers and only go to TDNT for TDNT numbers. But even that doesn't seem to be working. By playing around with the prioritization limits, I can get it to open TDNT for both Strong's and TDNT numbers, or to open Strong's for both TDNT and Strong's numbers, but I can't get it to do one or the other. Probably something for Logos developers to weigh in on. It might be by design, but it sure seems fishy.

Posts 19333
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 6 2010 6:24 AM

Dave Hooton:

Gary O'Neal:
Dave, he's in the resource Dictionary of Biblical Languages: Greek. There are links to Strongs and TDNT. These should open Strongs and TDNT no matter how anything else is prioritized.

Sorry, I had it the other way around. Things are not as simple as they were in L3. The Prioritize list is a compromise, so whilst I might suggest something that works for this case it may not work elsewhere. List as follows:-

• DBL Greek  --> restrict to Greek from (advanced) option on Context menu
  • Louw-Nida Lexicon  
  • TDNT

That doesn't seem to work for this situation either. I set it up that way and now clicking on TDNT numbers goes to Enhanced Strong's Lexicon. LN numbers and Strong's numbers work fine. This is very baffling.

Posts 804
Bill Fiess | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 6 2010 6:25 AM

I think you are right, Rosie. I put a suggestion out there.

Posts 19333
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 6 2010 6:29 AM

BillFiess:

I think you are right, Rosie. I put a suggestion out there.

Bill, the Suggestions forum is meant for new feature requests and I don't think it gets looked at as often. This seems more like a bug to me, so if Dave finally agrees, I think we ought to log it (with reference to this thread for all the info that will help them debug it) on the wiki.

Dave, do you still have any further suggestions about what we might be doing wrong?

Posts 584
Gary O'Neal | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 6 2010 6:59 AM

BillFiess:

Maybe a related problem -- In DBL: Greek, I can type a number in to the index box and it looks up the Strong's number rather than the LN number.

πάντα εἰς δόξαν θεοῦ ποιεῖτε

Page 1 of 1 (14 items) | RSS