Pink stripes on Logos Forum? Anybody else seeing this?

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
This post has 7 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 18888
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Jan 4 2010 8:21 AM

What's the deal with the random pink stripes that are showing up across the grey background of the Forum today? Anyone else seeing this?  (I've marked the bands where I'm seeing pink with red brackets here.)

Note: even the image, as I paste it in here from Photoshop, is looking more pink than grey for those background areas that don't have the pink stripes. Those areas look more grey to me on the actual forum (and in Photoshop where I worked on the image to add the red brackes) than in this pasted version of it here in the forum. That latter bit might be an optical illusion. But the pink stripes are not in my imagination.

Posts 5337
Kevin Becker | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 4 2010 8:26 AM

I'm not seeing this. I'm using Firefox 3.5.6.

You could decide these stripes are festive Stick out tongue

Posts 18888
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 4 2010 8:41 AM

Kevin Becker:

I'm not seeing this. I'm using Firefox 3.5.6.

You could decide these stripes are festive Stick out tongue

I'm seeing them in Firefox, too, though they aren't quite as festive there. A little more subtle. I don't see them on any other website but the Logos one (I can see them on the logos.com main page too, and the wiki).

Posts 236
David Ladiges | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 4 2010 9:14 AM

You might want to check your display settings - if you have the color depth set reasonably high the banding should be much less obvious than in your screenshot.

There is some banding causing by the image used for the gradient and getting that image improved is certainly possible, but it really isn't as noticeable as this screenshot shows it.

Posts 18888
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 4 2010 9:44 AM

David Ladiges:

You might want to check your display settings - if you have the color depth set reasonably high the banding should be much less obvious than in your screenshot.

There is some banding causing by the image used for the gradient and getting that image improved is certainly possible, but it really isn't as noticeable as this screenshot shows it.

Excellent answer, David! I'd been fooling around with my color depth earlier to see if I could fix a problem where most of my Vista Start Menu shortcut icons had disappeared and turned into the generic white ones. None of the standard solutions (deleting IconCache.db and rebooting) had worked, so I found somewhere on a forum that suggested changing your bit depth to 16 and then back to 32. And I'd gotten distracted and forgot all about it and never changed it back to 32. You're brilliant! The pink bands are gone. There are still very pale grey bands visible, but I had never noticed them before, so they obviously had never bothered me.

Incidentally, my shortcut icons still haven't come back. Any other brilliant ideas?

Posts 236
David Ladiges | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 4 2010 9:59 AM

On the start menu icons, not knowing the cause, the first step you might try is switching the menu properties to use the other size of icons and seeing if that helps. (Right-click start menu, properties,  check or uncheck use large icons.)  

If that doesn't help, there used to be some utilities for previous versions of windows that purported to fix broken icons. TweakUI comes to mind for this, but I don't recall if that is supported for Vista or not, but you might check for similar utilities.

Posts 3701
BillS | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 4 2010 10:14 AM

David Ladiges:
TweakUI

For Vista, it's TweakVI... Here's a link: http://www.totalidea.com/download.php

Bill

Grace & Peace,
Bill

MSI GF63 8RD, I-7 8850H, 32GB RAM, 1TB SSD, 2TB HDD, NVIDIA GTX 1050Max
Samsung S9+, 64GB
Fire 10HD 64GB 7th Gen

Posts 18888
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 4 2010 11:15 AM

David Ladiges:

On the start menu icons, not knowing the cause, the first step you might try is switching the menu properties to use the other size of icons and seeing if that helps. (Right-click start menu, properties,  check or uncheck use large icons.)  

Yeah, I knew about that and had already tried it. I considered that one of the "standard solutions."

David Ladiges:

If that doesn't help, there used to be some utilities for previous versions of windows that purported to fix broken icons. TweakUI comes to mind for this, but I don't recall if that is supported for Vista or not, but you might check for similar utilities.

Head heard of TweakUI too, but read somewhere that it woudln't work on Vista so hadn't even tried it. 

Bill Stonebraker:

For Vista, it's TweakVI... Here's a link: http://www.totalidea.com/download.php

Thanks, Bill! Downloading it now. Here's praying...  OK, it's downloaded. I'm running 64-bit Vista, and the install program tells me the 64-bit functionality is still in beta so it might not work completely. Where have I heard that before??? Smile

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS