Ability to Copy & Paste from anywhere in L4 (when?)

Page 2 of 2 (33 items) < Previous 1 2
This post has 32 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 706
Russ Quinn | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 8 2010 9:38 AM

Another example . . . consider the Bible Search Results report:

Right clicking on this list could allow some of the following copy options:

• list of the references (the book abbreviations need to be customizable): Mark 3:10; Luke 1:12; 15:20; Acts 8:16; 10:44; 11:15; 19:17; 20:10, 37; Rom 15:3; Rev 11:11
  • a list of the actual verses as they appear in the report
  • A list of the inflected forms of the lemma, transliteration, parsing info, gloss, and their references: 
    • ἐπέπεσεν epepesen is a 2nd aorist active indicative 3rd person singular form of the verb ἐπιπίπτω epipipto meaning "to fall, fall upon, attack" occurring eight times in the New Testament (Luke 1:12; 15:20; Acts 10:44; 11:15; 19:17; 20:10; Rom 15:3; Rev 11:11).
    • ἐπιπίπτειν (Mark 3:10) - same as above
    • ἐπιπεπτωκός (Acts 8:16) - ditto
    • ἐπιπεσόντες (Acts 20:37) - ditto
  • A list of the translations
    • ἐπιπίπτω is translated in the ESV as "pressed" in Mark 3:10.
    • ἐπιπίπτω is translated in the ESV as "fell" in Luke 1:12; Acts 10:44; 11:15; 19:17; Rom 15:3; Rev 11:11
    • ἐπιπίπτω is translated in the ESV as "embraced" in Luke 15:20; Acts 20:37
    • ἐπιπίπτω is translated in the ESV as "bent over" in Acts 20:10
    • ἐπιπίπτω is translated in the ESV as "fallen" in Acts 8:16

I am sure there are more options that could be added.

I'm also not sure the sentence format is the best approach but maybe it could be an option (it would be nice for those of use who write a lot). There are probably other ways to format how the info would be pasted. My main point is that all of this info should be easily extracted from this report from a copy command.

Posts 1129
Juanita | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 8 2010 12:26 PM

Maybe Bob should have asked what we don't want to copy and paste...Smile rather than what we do.  Have we left anything out?  Are we asking for anything more than version 3 can do?  IMHO, we should have been able to copy and paste from day one and it is a realistic expectation of the user to want it very soon.

Posts 706
Russ Quinn | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 8 2010 12:39 PM

Here is another example of a way copy and paste could be implemented in a way to save a lot of time.

I have run search for all compound forms of πέμπω.

I need to discuss the usage of each of these variations. It would be great to be able to right click and copy each of these lemmas along with a list of their references. That should be a one step process. 

Posts 706
Russ Quinn | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 8 2010 12:50 PM

Joan Korte:

Are we asking for anything more than version 3 can do?  IMHO, we should have been able to copy and paste from day one and it is a realistic expectation of the user to want it very soon.

I totally agree with what you are saying about minimum expectations but I really hope that Logos is setting its goals high enough in this area to do more than its competition.

{EDIT} 

My sense is that they actually are interested in doing things like I have recommended in earlier posts. If I didn't believe that I wouldn't be wasting my time contributing to these discussions.

I have a lot of confidence in Bob and the gang.

{/EDIT}

Posts 4508
Robert Pavich | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 9 2010 6:36 AM

I give a Yes to all of these suggestions;they are all useful and having them "contextually sensitive" would be great and keep the UI compact.

Robert Pavich

For help go to the Wiki: http://wiki.logos.com/Table_of_Contents__

Posts 1670
LogosEmployee
Bob Pritchett | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 9 2010 9:49 AM

Okay, okay -- I get it! :-)

This is something we'll have to do a bit at a time, but we'll get started. 

Once Passage Lists are implemented, you'll be able to right-click on anything that contains a list of Bible passages (including search results) and send them to a Passage List, where you'll have many formatting and copying options.

We can add options for many other things too, though it'll take some work to get everything requested in a usable UI. (We want to avoid overwhelming the UI, too -- if we offer everything here, and all the obvious permutations -- copy as plain text, HTML, graphic, etc. -- it'll be quite the cascading fly-out menu on right-clicks!)

Posts 706
Russ Quinn | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 9 2010 10:08 AM

Bob Pritchett:

Okay, okay -- I get it! :-)

Thanks for the response, Bob.

I'm sure you guys will go above and beyond on these issues.

Sorry to be so verbose on this.

You just happened to ask for feedback right as I am trying to meet deadlines using L4 on my dissertation.

I am literally spending 8-10 hrs a day right now living in L4.

Please know that L4 in its current state is saving me a world of time and helping me immensely.

Posts 706
Russ Quinn | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 9 2010 8:41 PM

Bob Pritchett:

Once Passage Lists are implemented, you'll be able to right-click on anything that contains a list of Bible passages (including search results) and send them to a Passage List, where you'll have many formatting and copying options.

Perhaps a Sentence Builder for Passage Lists could function in a way similar to the Create a new style option of the Copy Bible Verses tool.

As you compose a sentence in the Sentence Builder, right clicking could insert a variable with a drop down list to choose from the various options.
[EDIT] Or entering a command character like @ when building a morphological query could invoke a list.[/EDIT] 

A template sentence might look like this (please ignore the brackets, I have no idea what appropriate operators would need to be):
The word {lemma} {transliteration} meaning {gloss} occurs {lemma: frequency} times in the {range} ({references}). 

Posts 18490
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 2 2010 12:46 AM

I have added this request to the new UserVoice site that Logos has set up to let us vote on our priorities for features. Visit that site and make your voice heard. You've got 10 votes to distribute around among your more important features or enhancements. You need to register to be able to add items that aren't on the list yet, but you can vote anonymously regardless.

http://logos.uservoice.com

Posts 569
J. Morris | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 27 2010 6:50 PM

Just about every time I use the guides, I'm reminded of how I'd like to have this option....  Big Smile

Posts 569
J. Morris | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 21 2011 7:37 PM

Bump

Posts 3809
spitzerpl | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 21 2011 8:02 PM

J. Morris:

Bump

Are you aware that you can export passage Guides? Once its in Word or some other program you can then copy the text from there. Open a passage guide and hit CTRL + P. I admit I only read the title and a couple of posts so I might be missing the exact idea you are Bumping.

Posts 569
J. Morris | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 13 2011 7:21 AM

Halo Hound:

J. Morris:

Bump

Are you aware that you can export passage Guides? Once its in Word or some other program you can then copy the text from there. Open a passage guide and hit CTRL + P. I admit I only read the title and a couple of posts so I might be missing the exact idea you are Bumping.

My need is to be able to add to a clipping/note file.. currently I am not able to even copy anything on the guides (at least the last time I attempted it)... To have to export, copy, and then paste into a clipping/note adds way to many steps and is too time consuming. 

The exegetical guide is the biggest issue for me... so much information with no where to go with it unless you click on a link....

Page 2 of 2 (33 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS