Happy Logos User (Again)

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
This post has 7 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 596
LaRosa Johnson | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Aug 11 2014 9:03 AM

It's been a while since I've truly enjoyed using Logos, mainly because I was using aging hardware (an HP laptop from 2011 with a LOUD fan & constantly overheating). I got rid of that & switched to a Chromebook for a while to give that a whirl. Leaving me with only using Logos on my work machine (and still reading with it on my tablet/phone). Well, with the kids heading back to school, I decided to give them my CB and I invested in a new laptop (Dell Inspiron 14 7000 series with Intel 4th gen i7, and upgraded HHD to 250gb SSD). Wow, Logos totally FLIES on this thing.

I spent some time studying in Logos this weekend and it was like a brand new experience, as if I was experiencing Logos for the first time. There was no lag and my layout loaded in no time (took at least 20-30 seconds on my old machine). I can't wait to spend more time in Logos on this laptop here in the near future.

Just thought I'd share my joy because I know some of you can relate.

Urban Scholar - http://urban-scholar.com 
Christ-centered Hip-Hop - http://www.sphereofhiphop.com

Posts 2055
David Thomas | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 11 2014 1:15 PM

YesYesYes

I know it isn't fun to spend hard earned cash on updated hardware. But I've tried logos on a netbook (functional, but tedious) and I've tried it with fast processors, adequate RAM and SSD. I agree it is a "brand new experience"

Making Disciples!  Logos Ecosystem = Logos8 on Microsoft Surface Pro 4 (Win10), Android app on tablet, FSB on iPhone, [deprecated] Windows App, Proclaim, Faithlife.com, FaithlifeTV via Connect subscription.

Posts 6610
Forum MVP
Lynden Williams | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 11 2014 1:30 PM

Yes

Yes

Yes Pentium Dual core 4GB Ram and SSd. Ssd made a word of difference. Keep the machine with minimum software and use a registry program to keep it fit.

Lynden Williams Communications https://www.lyndenwilliams.net 

Posts 1064
JohnB | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 11 2014 2:16 PM

Lynden Williams:
Keep the machine with minimum software

If only I could!!

Posts 9250
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 11 2014 9:16 PM

LaRosa Johnson:

Thanks for sharing. Glad you are enjoying Logos again.

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 386
Clinton Thomas | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 12 2014 1:07 PM

LaRosa Johnson:

I sure can relate to this.

My computer was taking 30 minutes to boot, its an i7 based machine I purchased in 2011. Each boot the main drive was pegged at 100% the whole time

I checked out the drives (Intel raid, check disk, smart) and could find no problems. It turned out to be a corrupt file that windows just would not repair but windows tried to on each and every boot making the computer unusable upwards of 30 minutes each time.

I took the opportunity on Sunday afternoon to re-install windows onto an SSD and I have had the same experience.

Logos was taking 30-60 seconds to boot (after the 30 minutes of windows trying and failing) and now Windows boot time from power off is 12 seconds and Logos is up and fully operational 10 seconds after that. Everything is so much faster now.

My son gave me the SSD so it is the best $0.00 I have spent in a long time.Smile

Posts 3994
abondservant | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 12 2014 2:08 PM

Clinton - that is a common sign that your hard drive is failing. Dells were/are notorious for having drives that pass the "SMART" test, take FOREVER to boot, show 100% utilization, and were on the cusp of failing. My advice would be to get any bits of important data off the old mechanical drive. It may or may not still be under warranty from the manufacturer. Its probably worth checking.

The major hard drive vendors all have their own set of tools for checking a hard drive (usually a pre-req for sending one back in for warranty replacement), seatools does a good job on most any brand hard drive. I'd at least check it using seatools (for Windows) to see if its failing before you trust it to do anything else. If it passes the tests, you can use it as a backup drive by putting it in an inexpensive enclosure.

L2 lvl4, L3 Scholars, L4 Scholars, L5 Platinum,  L6 Collectors. L7 Baptist Portfolio. L8 Platinum & WORDsearch

Posts 386
Clinton Thomas | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 13 2014 8:13 AM

Thanks for the advice.

I already have all my data and settings mirrored to a Raid 1 NAS so I am protected. 

The drives on my PC are just out of warranty (they are also RAID 1) but both pass manufacturer and seatools tests, both high level and intense with no errors. The Intel raid array tests always pass with no errors. I have done this multiple times. When I looked back at the install history of windows updates it started failing with a known problematic update that Microsoft had troubles getting working for a number of users. Additionally when I first upgraded the OS to 8 (I got a free copy) I had an issue with the install that I never fixed and when the 8.1 update made that problem disappear it may not have been fixed. Hopefully one of those two things was the root cause.

Another benefit from the limited size of the new drives is that I have finally backed up the image of it and can restore in much less time in the future should I need to. I never re-partitioned my 1 TB drive to program and data partitions so creating images was too much work, but keeping images of this setup should be much easier.

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS