Logos only lets your transfer book Licenses once???

Page 1 of 17 (327 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last »
This post has 326 Replies | 5 Followers

Posts 18
David Dobbs | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Aug 27 2014 2:32 PM

Today I called logos to get some books moved from my account to a new account I wanted to start for my wife.  They told me it was not possible because the books I wanted to transfer had already been through a license transfer once.  This was truce.  I had purchased these book from a another person earlier.  But since when did Logos start this policy of only allowing you to transfer book licenses once?

Posts 18
David Dobbs | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 27 2014 2:33 PM

And why don't they notify us of policy changes like this?  This is very frustrating...

Posts 26828
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 27 2014 2:38 PM

Welcome to the forums.

from the EULA:

At Logos' sole discretion you may transfer all your rights to use the Software, Content, and Documentation to another person or legal entity provided you transfer this Agreement, the Software, Content, and Documentation, including all copies, updates and prior versions to such person or entity and that you retain no copies, including copies stored on computer. There will be a processing fee charged on all transfers which is subject to change without notice. As of 6/17/09 the fee is equal to $20.00 per transfer.

To the best of my knowledge, it's been a single transfer for quite some time ... but I haven't had reason to try it.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 27775
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 27 2014 2:43 PM

David Dobbs:
Today I called logos to get some books moved from my account to a new account I wanted to start for my wife.

I didn't know about this policy, and I would be frustrated with it... I did want to make sure that you were aware that your wife can use your resources already... on your account. There are some disadvantages to sharing your account with your spouse, but it is certainly a cheaper alternative to making multiple purchases.

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 27775
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 27 2014 2:45 PM

MJ. Smith:
To the best of my knowledge, it's been a single transfer for quite some time

Did you gain this understanding from the EULA? I don't see any way to read that limitation in the EULA. 

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 2472
Lee | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 27 2014 3:01 PM

As quoted, the EULA does not expressly state such a restriction, which means that the transferee should get every right available to the transferor, including the (subsequent) right of transfer. If there is a restriction, it's somewhere else. Maybe it is to be found in the "sole discretion".

Posts 3938
abondservant | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 27 2014 3:07 PM

I wonder if they suspect the OP was trying to "flip" the resources, or if the hidden restrictions are in place to prevent people from doing that sort of thing?

L2 lvl4, L3 Scholars, L4 Scholars, L5 Platinum,  L6 Collectors. L7 Baptist Portfolio. L8 Baptist Platinum.

Posts 406
Erik | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 27 2014 3:46 PM

Interesting.  I can see this being an issue in a situation like mine where I've specifically called out in my will to transfer the rights to the software to my wife and then told her she can either use it or then transfer it to our (then current) pastor or some needy seminary student down the road as she sees fit.  I'd hate to think that she wouldn't be able to bless someone after I am gone and she no longer has a need. 

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 27 2014 3:49 PM

MJ. Smith:
To the best of my knowledge, it's been a single transfer for quite some time ...

This is a new development. And it is a bad one too. Why should I buy any more Logos resources if, when I die, my heir can not receive my resources because Logos changed their policy.  NOT a confidence builder!

Logos 7 Collectors Edition

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 27 2014 3:50 PM

Erik:
I've specifically called out in my will to transfer the rights to the software to my wife and then told her she can either use it or then transfer it to our (then current) pastor or some needy seminary student down the road as she sees fit.

Exactly!

Posts 2925
Forum MVP
Jacob Hantla | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 27 2014 3:55 PM

I was unaware of this policy. I don't understand how the EULA helps except that it is at Logos' discretion that they do what they do.

I suspect that they want limitations in place so that people don't become Logos resource resellers. But for a situation like this, I do not see why there would be a limitation.

Jacob Hantla
Pastor/Elder, Grace Bible Church
gbcaz.org

Posts 10230
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 27 2014 3:57 PM

I feel really sorry for Unix.  I just assumed if he didn't need the volumes that I didn't need, he could move them along to another user. 

But this sounds a lot like the instructions from Jesus.  The 'poor' should choose wisely from the 'rich' since transfer rights occur only once.  This may well explain why the rich man was so upset, and the disciples almost blew a gasket.

(I assume; maybe Logos only got its wires tangled up.)

Posts 26828
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 27 2014 4:06 PM

alabama24:
Did you gain this understanding from the EULA?

No from some exchanges on the used market ... the EULA simply tells you that there may be limitations. And logic told me that their we keep it updated for free had to have a practical limitation in length.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 641
Into Grace | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 27 2014 4:10 PM
Hopefully Bob or someone from Logos can provide some clarification.
Posts 1839
mike | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 27 2014 4:10 PM

I dont like this, I'm growing disappointments toward Logos. 

I was hoping my children's children could one day use my account someday for the glory of God. 

I'm super discouraged of buying future resources. 

Posts 18
David Dobbs | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 27 2014 4:14 PM

MJ, how did you know about this limitation?  Is it stated somewhere we can read ourselves?

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 27 2014 4:17 PM

Jacob Hantla:
I was unaware of this policy. I don't understand how the EULA helps except that it is at Logos' discretion that they do what they do.

I have bought Logos resources from other users for several years. This provision of "only one transfer" has never been mentioned until this week. I just sold the SDA Bible Commentary v3.0 and the transfer email from Logos Customer Service had the "one transfer" rule at the bottom of the email. 

This is a grave development. My (and your) Logos resources have just lost most of their value. The only way I can see around the policy is to designate the executor of the will to dispose of the transferable resources rather than leave it to someone by name. Now I have to change my will............and delete my CP list.

Posts 18
David Dobbs | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 27 2014 4:21 PM

I agree!  I have over 2000 resouces that I have been building since 1999 and I was hoping to pass these resources down to my family or possibly friends for generations.  This is extremely disappointing!  Logos needs to reconsider this policy.   And I am definitely reconsidering my long committed loyalty to them. 

Posts 641
Into Grace | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 27 2014 4:26 PM
Are not older users "grandfathered in" to an earlier licence agreement that did not have this limitation?
Posts 3938
abondservant | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 27 2014 4:29 PM

Call back, try to talk to someone different. You might get lucky.

Plus I believe bequeathing your library is different than giving your wife some files.

Finally, one could simply leave ones username and password in the will with instructions to the executor to call and remove your credit card from the account.

L2 lvl4, L3 Scholars, L4 Scholars, L5 Platinum,  L6 Collectors. L7 Baptist Portfolio. L8 Baptist Platinum.

Page 1 of 17 (327 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last » | RSS