Logos only lets your transfer book Licenses once???

Page 17 of 17 (327 items) « First ... < Previous 13 14 15 16 17
This post has 326 Replies | 5 Followers

Posts 1892
mike | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 2 2014 5:51 AM

As an academic user, I'm really saddened with this news.

Just because someone is an academic user, it does not mean that person always gets an academic discount on every resources. 

So if an academic user bought something with full price, he/she cannot resell the resource anymore because he/she purchased that resource while he/she under academic program? This is dumb.

I think instead of worrying about reselling issues, Logos need to focus on improving the quality of its product and not these kinds of stuffs. You make more money and profit by proving to the market that you're product is the best product NOT thinking of resell value.

Look at Apple for an example. Do they worry about their resell value? Not really!

They focus more on improving the quality and innovation, then the resell value will better itself. 

Don't penalize the consumers, penalize your own workers for not being the best innovativator in the market.

Don't make academic users afraid to purchase resources, encourage us.

Don't penalize academic user by not giving us dynamic price on top of the academic discount; give students bigger discount, students loves books.

I hope the company gets this.

Posts 1281
toughski | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 2 2014 6:11 AM

mike:
So if an academic user bought something with full price, he/she cannot resell the resource anymore because he/she purchased that resource while he/she under academic program? This is dumb.

I do not believe you are correct with this assumption. What you buy at full price you are able to transfer freely.

It might also be possible to transfer academic titles to another academic user (proof of eligibility might be necessary). At least, I would have done it this way, if I was Logos.

Again, Logos is the one that created a web of different classes of resources. Oh, what a tangled web we weave... Wink

Posts 11070
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 2 2014 7:45 AM

Mike ... let's not go off the deep end.  It's only your academic books that you need to make room for in your casket (and which do not participate in the resurrection, or at least an argument from silence may not be a strong one).

But comparing to Apple (or Amazon for that matter) is a good one.  I'd sort of had in the back of my mind buying Logos books with the ability to pass them on to someone else that's curious (without me being in my casket).  

But given an equation of 'not', then the purchasing of Logos books is similar to my Kindle books ... read and trash.  Which of course strongly favors Kindle prices.  I'm not a Logos 'searcher'; I typically read my books (revolutionary idea, admitedly).

"I didn't know God made honky tonk angels."

Posts 4028
abondservant | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 2 2014 8:22 AM

I mostly datamine if I'm honest. But those books I've bought for class I've read. Personal books I tend to read. professors notes on a subject I save by class name as personal books as well.

My own notes from class become personal books also at some point.

I think it depends on whether I'm preparing a sermon (tendency towards mining) or for my own edification (then I read in full). For papers, I also tend to mine - but I do that with paper books also... Sometimes there is no need to read an entire book when only a chapter is relevant to the topic or passage at hand.

I have seen Logos transfer academic licenses; I have received the benefit of those transfers.

If I could sum up this whole thread succinctly, I'd say that there are two groups of people. Those who see a logos "rule" as black and white, and those (Bob included) who see them as a grey area. Every now and then (he seems to say) an employee gets confused about the rules being grey, not black and white, and things like this thread happen. Someone denied when they didn't have to be. To honor rules not applied all the time to every situation.

Those of us with 5 figures invest (I'm almost there my self now...) can be made nervous about the grey nature of the rules. What if Bob doesn't run Logos (faithlife, or whatever they become), what if, what if, what if. Mt 6:34 comes to mind (NIV) "Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own." Today we know that Logos is the best. We know what they promise today. We know Bob puts his customers over the business. I've been the recipient of this on two or three occasions - many others as well. Remember the 40,000$ mistake? I didn't benefit from that, but many did. Did they strip away the resources they didn't intend to be free? nope. Most recently they had a bug that gave away Pentecostal silver free. Did they take that back? Nope. Those that got the base package were allowed to keep it. These mistakes are far more costly than a 20$/hr employee taking 3-5 hrs to transfer licenses to a new user.

In the end, I think this thread is just causing more anxiety over time than is possibly warranted.

Kudos to Bob for keeping things flexible despite having policies in place.

L2 lvl4, L3 Scholars, L4 Scholars, L5 Platinum,  L6 Collectors. L7 Baptist Portfolio. L8 Platinum & WORDsearch

Posts 11070
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 2 2014 8:45 AM

Actually we're just curous about what Bob found out (in his company).  The chit-chat is just to move the thread up.

"I didn't know God made honky tonk angels."

Posts 5292
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 2 2014 10:58 AM

David Ames:

Many have stated that they have four [or more] licences to the NIV84.  But do they?  If they received a discount on item B because they owned item A and both had the NIV84 included. Maybe they only have one licence to the NIV84 - the one that came with item A.  If they want to transfer item B does the NIV84 stay with item A or leave with item B?  Things like that may be what takes time.  

The transfer of our entire library or a stand along package is easy.  It is dynamic pricing and other discounts that confuse transfers.

I stated this based on the number of CDROMs I had purchased that included a copy of the NIV Bible with it. When I had purchased CDROMS it was almost always not from Logos (finding much better prices elsewhere) so technically they could have offered me no discount. I am well aware that the entire content of the collection would need to go and not simply the NIV license. I had suggested to one they could  buy my concordia selfstudy library (3 volume collection, NIV text, Concordia self study Bible/ Commentary) if they simple replaced the 2 self study volumes and paid the transfer fee. Nothing ever came of it so I am guessing he found the 1984 NIV elsewhere or something else.

-Dan 

Posts 193
Kendall Sholtess | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 15 2014 1:37 AM

I just want to say I believe and trust you, Bob, and the folks at Logos. Keep up the good work!

I use Logos several times a day, at least. It's a great resource. I am a little embarrassed to say I probably cost Logos some money through frequent customer service requests. Really sorry about that. I'll try to reduce my footprint in that area.

Again, thanks!

BTW I really love the Bible Sense Lexicon! Phenomenal!

Page 17 of 17 (327 items) « First ... < Previous 13 14 15 16 17 | RSS