A modern Mormonism collection, from Oxford Press, Eerdman's, and others

Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
This post has 10 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 1328
Ben | Forum Activity | Posted: Sun, Aug 31 2014 5:57 PM

These are all respectable academic authors and titles.

Might there be a chance of seeing some, given the recent appearance of books from Oxford?

Oxford Press

University of Illinois titles

Eerdman's

IVP

Brazos Press

Random House

"The whole modern world has divided itself into Conservatives and Progressives. The business of Progressives is to go on making mistakes. The business of Conservatives is to prevent mistakes from being corrected."- G.K. Chesterton

Posts 14
Helen | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 1 2014 11:47 AM

Another good book to probably add to this collection would probably be:  

Correcting the Cults:  Expert Responses to Scripture Twisting by Norman L. Geisler and Ron Rhodes

Posts 9917
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 1 2014 12:14 PM

A good solid Mormon collection that is modern would be nice.   

https://www.logos.com/product/16021/mormon-studies-collection is pre-40s, interesting, useless for discussion (arguing), and going nowhere.

But given the cornecopeia of anti-Mormon books in Logos, I have my doubts anything 'by' Mormons will succeed.  

Logos is hesitant to even carry resources that discuss the OT/NT manuscripts in depth, so there's somewhat of a parallel fear.

A few years back I drove up to St George to go shopping at the Mormon bookstore.  It was quite interesting, reflecting a greater openness than even a decade ago. One $100 volume I liked, I gave away at church, and will likely drive back up there for another.

Posts 1328
Ben | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 17 2014 7:08 AM

Bump

"The whole modern world has divided itself into Conservatives and Progressives. The business of Progressives is to go on making mistakes. The business of Conservatives is to prevent mistakes from being corrected."- G.K. Chesterton

Posts 3005
Milkman | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 26 2017 12:40 PM

Yes

mm.

Posts 263
Roger Dittmar | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 26 2017 1:34 PM

Yes

Posts 5235
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 26 2017 2:32 PM

Yes

Posts 1328
Ben | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 23 2019 10:57 AM

I would add a few more titles to a responsible, scholarly Mormon Studies collection. These have all been published since I wrote the original post, and represent a selection from academic, peer-reviewed authors.

Oxford Press

UNC Press

Columbia University Press

University of Illinois Press

Maxwell Institute

Kofford Press (a newer small press that does LDS history, biography, and theology; Most of their volumes would fit an academic Mormonism package)

Both BYU Studies and Dialogue: A Journal of Mormon Thought are going free/open next year, and might be open to allowing their backlog to go into Logos for free or cheap. I know people at both. 

And all of these would benefit from being able to hyperlink to uniquely LDS scripture, if Logos could get permission to input the Book of Mormon, D&C, and Pearl of Great Price. I've heard a rumor Accordance is doing that, but just a rumor.

Posts 5235
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 23 2019 4:46 PM

Yes While I  am not 100% sure I am in the market for all these  resources there are many there that would interest me to  help me better underwent LDS thought and theological positions.

-dan

Posts 5235
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 23 2019 4:49 PM

Yes While I  am not 100% sure I am in the market for all these  resources there are many there that would interest me to  help me better underwent LDS thought and theological positions.

-dan

Posts 996
EastTN | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 23 2019 6:41 PM

Dan Francis:

-dan

My feelings exactly.

Page 1 of 1 (11 items) | RSS