Hebrew Syntax Search

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
This post has 6 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 12
Brian Gault | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Sep 1 2014 4:02 AM

I am trying to create a syntax search to find other examples of the construction in Gen. 1:1-2, where a noun ends one verse, and the same noun begins the next verse. I know I need to use the Andersen-Forbes text, but I am lost on the details. Anyone know if this is possible?

Posts 25857
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 1 2014 3:56 PM

As close as I can get it, bearing in mind that the search cannot be limited to adjacent verses i.e. adjacent Clauses may or may not be part of the same verse, and that the following noun will be the first noun but not the first word!

Use Agreement for the second Segment and specify that the conjunction "may or may not appear"

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 12
Brian Gault | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 2 2014 2:46 AM

Dave,

That is a great help. In reviewing the search results, it picks up a lot of the genealogies.  Is there a way to exclude personal names?

Thanks,
Brian

Posts 23203
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 2 2014 3:19 AM

Hi Brian

Brian Gault:
Is there a way to exclude personal names?

You could refine the definition of the noun in segment 2 to be a "common noun"

Graham

Posts 1518
Forum MVP
Fr Devin Roza | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 2 2014 3:50 AM

You may want to post this question in the Logos Syntax Searching Faithlife Group as well, with a link to this forum thread:

https://faithlife.com/logos-syntax-searching 

Posts 12
Brian Gault | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 5 2014 7:10 PM

Dave, I modified your search a bit, but there is something I can't figure out.  I know there are at least three examples in Genesis (1:1-2, 2:11-12, 7:18-19).  In this search below, I am only getting the middle verses.  I think the difference is that I can't specify that the second occurrence (segment 3) may or may not have the definite article (as Gen. 1:2 and 7:19 are different from 2:12 in this way).  Any ideas on how I can specify that the first term in the second clause may or may not have the definite article.

Brian

Posts 25857
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 5 2014 11:49 PM

Brian Gault:
I think the difference is that I can't specify that the second occurrence (segment 3) may or may not have the definite article (as Gen. 1:2 and 7:19 are different from 2:12 in this way).  Any ideas on how I can specify that the first term in the second clause may or may not have the definite article.

The difference is that their noun is not the first segment in the clause; remove the First requirement and you will have your results. In Genesis, 2:12 has the only noun that is First in the clause!

NB. The conjunction in the query is between the two clauses. Where it is the first segment in the second clause it is clear that the noun cannot be first. And the definite article precedes the noun in both 1:2 and 7:19.

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS