Joseph the husband of Mary

Page 1 of 1 (14 items)
This post has 13 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 7
Marcus Martin | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, Sep 12 2014 10:49 AM

I was researching the genealogy of Joseph the husband of Mary and could not find it. However, I became confused of the Joseph in Matt. 1:16. When I go in to logos 5 biblical facts section and look up Joseph the Husband, I can't find it. Can someone help me clear my confusion.

God Bless,

Marcus Martin

mm10772

Posts 4768
Forum MVP
Fred Chapman | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 12 2014 11:03 AM

Not sure about the problem but if you go to Matthew 1:16 and right click on Joseph you should see the option to select "person" this should generate a list of dictionaries as well as a biblical facts option.

Posts 570
HansK | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 12 2014 11:31 AM

Fredc:

Not sure about the problem but if you go to Matthew 1:16 and right click on Joseph you should see the option to select "person" this should generate a list of dictionaries as well as a biblical facts option.

Perhaps you have to scroll to see "Person".

MacOS Sierra / Logos 7 Collector's Edition & All Base Packages / Logos Now

Posts 3770
Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 12 2014 12:40 PM

Marcus Martin:
I was researching the genealogy of Joseph the husband of Mary and could not find it. However, I became confused of the Joseph in Matt. 1:16.

Marcus, your question is not clear. It sounds like you did not find the genealogy, but your mention of Matt 1:16 shows that you did. If this genealogy is not what you were looking for, can you provide more details as to what exactly you are seeking?

Posts 3770
Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 12 2014 12:40 PM

Marcus Martin:
I was researching the genealogy of Joseph the husband of Mary and could not find it. However, I became confused of the Joseph in Matt. 1:16.

Marcus, your question is not clear. It sounds like you did not find the genealogy, but your mention of Matt 1:16 shows that you did. If this genealogy is not what you were looking for, can you provide more details as to what exactly you are seeking?

Posts 3770
Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 12 2014 12:42 PM

Marcus Martin:

Posts 11070
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 12 2014 1:04 PM

Here's a screen shot of Joseph (husband of Mary) in the menu choices, and then when clicked on, the view.  As with most Logos lists, they're often in random order to insure users truly enjoy the UI experience.

"I didn't know God made honky tonk angels."

Posts 7
Marcus Martin | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 18 2014 2:44 PM

Where I'm confused is here:

Matt. 1:16 says Jacob the father of Joseph the husband of Mary. Was this Jacob son of Issac? Who as this Jacob? Looking at Luke 3:23-38 states Heli is the father of Joseph the husband of Mary. The genealogy of Jesus farther is different in Matt and Luke. I hope this help.

Posts 7
Marcus Martin | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 18 2014 2:55 PM

I"m getting clarity from the "The Lexham Bible Dictionary". if you know of other books I can research, let me know.

Posts 2769
Erwin Stull, Sr. | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 18 2014 3:55 PM

Marcus Martin:

I"m getting clarity from the "The Lexham Bible Dictionary". if you know of other books I can research, let me know.

There is much more detail in ISBE and ABD. Have you checked (or do you have) these resources?

Posts 4768
Forum MVP
Fred Chapman | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 18 2014 4:05 PM

This is from the Catena Aurea:

Posts 3770
Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 19 2014 6:49 AM

Marcus Martin:

There are many resources that comment on the differences between the two genealogies and the kind you consult depend on what you want to get out of them. 

1. If you want to reconcile the two genealogies, look into apologetics resources (for instance, Torrey has a section on this question in Difficulties of the Bible). Confessional commentaries on either Matthew or Luke may mention and discuss it. 

2. If you want a scholarly wider spectrum of views on the question (which you may or may not like), turn to more scholarly commentaries (WBC, Anchor, Hermeneuia, etc) or use resources such as the Anchor dictionary or the Jesus and the Gospels dictionary.

I can see why you might have been confused at first since in both Genesis and in Matthew's gospel, there is a Jacob who is the father of Joseph. But this being said, there is a lot of this in the Bible: people who are named after someone more illustrious before them would then name their son after the son of their own namesake (see for instance 1 Chronicles 6:4 and Ezra 8:33 where the order is reversed).

Posts 3770
Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 19 2014 6:52 AM

Marcus Martin:

There are many resources that comment on the differences between the two genealogies and the kind you consult depend on what you want to get out of them. 

1. If you want to reconcile the two genealogies, look into apologetics resources (for instance, Torrey has a section on this question in Difficulties of the Bible). Confessional commentaries on either Matthew or Luke may mention and discuss it. 

2. If you want a scholarly wider spectrum of views on the question (which you may or may not like), turn to more scholarly commentaries (WBC, Anchor, Hermeneuia, etc) or use resources such as the Anchor dictionary or the Jesus and the Gospels dictionary.

I can see why you might have been confused at first since in both Genesis and in Matthew's gospel, there is a Jacob who is the father of Joseph. But this being said, there is a lot of this in the Bible: people who are named after someone more illustrious before them would then name their son after the son of their own namesake (see for instance 1 Chronicles 6:4 and Ezra 8:33 where the order is reversed).

Posts 7
Marcus Martin | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 15 2014 4:14 AM

God Bless you for your interest in my research. For clarification, I want to be prepared for those who do not believed in the Word of God and Righteousness of God. I must be about God business and in order to do that, I must be prepared. I have to be knowledgeable of the Word Of God and have the ability to defend. You are a blessing and I thank God for your servant attitude.

God Bless :)

Page 1 of 1 (14 items) | RSS