Blog Post: 15 Document Types

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
This post has 8 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 133
Chuck Forsythe | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, Sep 26 2014 4:12 AM

Good morning all:

This morning I read an interesting post on Logos' blog, "Master the 15 Document Types." 

I do have 2 questions. 

The blog links me to Faithlife saying: "To demonstrate the power of these documents, we created a Faithlife Group with samples of each document type..." 

I expected to find a master list of the 15 types at Faithlife and then multiple posting from other members. That is not what I found. I found a "hodge-podge" collection of many different document types (all were interesting).  

Question 1: So, here is my problem. My expectation of what I would find on Faithlife is faulty. Where can I find a simple primer on how to use Faithlife and it's purpose? 

The blog also says: "There are also four other document types that don’t appear in this menu, but may appear at Documents.Logos.com." 

The link sends me to my own Logos documents (248 of them). I do not understand how my own documents help me understand the "four other" document types. I do not even know what "four other" document types I am looking for. I really don't have the time (or perhaps patience) to scroll through 15 or more pages on my saved document types to try to discern what the four other types might be.  

Question 2: Would please explain the value of reading my own documents in reference to the Blog (how does it help me understand the 15 different document types  when I can't even find the 15 different types)? 

Chuck

Posts 26999
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 26 2014 6:44 PM

Chuck Forsythe:
The blog links me to Faithlife saying: "To demonstrate the power of these documents, we created a Faithlife Group with samples of each document type..." 

I'm not sure what the problem is as the blog states that the group offers examples of each document type which is exactly what the group does.

Chuck Forsythe:
Where can I find a simple primer on how to use Faithlife and it's purpose? 

I don't know of any such source especially since it is used in many different ways from group management for Proclaim to study groups to document sharing ...

Chuck Forsythe:
. I do not even know what "four other" document types I am looking for.

As this is a multi-part blog. I would expect them to be listed more explicitly in a later installment. I see Guide Template, Highlighting Palette, Resource Collection ... not sure what the 4th one is.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 10126
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 27 2014 2:58 AM

MJ. Smith:

Chuck Forsythe:
. I do not even know what "four other" document types I am looking for.

As this is a multi-part blog. I would expect them to be listed more explicitly in a later installment. I see Guide Template, Highlighting Palette, Resource Collection ... not sure what the 4th one is.

Maybe "Copy Bible Verse Styles" - it's prepopulated in the menu for documents.logos.com, but doesn't give a hit for me in the actual documents.

if so, there are actually 16 types of documents, as the L5 menu - at least on Windows - gives twelve (I've counted them three times to make sure). Maybe Ray is working on a Mac and someone else took the screenshots for the blog post on a Windows machine.

Either way, the post skipped Handouts, which are a no longer developed but seem to have a decent fellowship under Windows users who prepare service leaflets or handouts for study groups directly from Logos. I think they don't sync to the website and thus can't be shared on Faihlife, though.

Running Logos 8 latest beta version on Win 10

Posts 133
Chuck Forsythe | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 27 2014 3:39 AM

Thank you MJ and NB for taking the time to respond.

What I am hearing is; there is no primer on using Faithlife. And further, my expectations for what I would see on Faithlife were false. What I see is a hodgepodge collection that may or may not contain examples of all 15 types, but I need to scroll through them to try to find the various examples and how others have used them. 

Second, My question was not. "What are the additional 4 types." It was: 

Question 2: Would please explain the value of reading my own documents in reference to the Blog (how does it help me understand the 15 different document types  when I can't even find the 15 different types)? 

I clearly assumed the follow up article would discuss the additional types of documents. I guess the point of the article is my own document demonstrate the different types (something I already knew). Is that a fair assumption?

Chuck

Posts 10126
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 27 2014 4:06 AM

Chuck Forsythe:

Question 2: Would please explain the value of reading my own documents in reference to the Blog (how does it help me understand the 15 different document types  when I can't even find the 15 different types)? (...) I guess the point of the article is my own document demonstrate the different types (something I already knew). Is that a fair assumption?

I think the point of the article series is to present the document types as they are. The value for you is not in recognizing those you already used in your own documents, but in those you didn't use or were not sure how to use:

• many people don't use certain things because the don't know they're existing at all or how they are meant to put into practice
  • many people ask in the forums "how do I..." (e.g. build a bibliography) when they could simply do so with a document type geared especially towards this usage scenario
  • in some cases, there are various ways to do a thing. Users may copy text from resources and paste it into notes, not knowing that there are Clipping Files that may work better for what they're trying to accomplish
  • often, users are unaware how to share their study results with others - which really is a piece of cake once one has understood the connection beteen Logos and the Faithlife website. 

Finding the document types is not the issue: you open the documents menu and can create documents from eleven/twelve different types anew. The point is that most users probably don't do this - I expect Logos to run an anonymous statistic on the document types, and probably there are 90% notes. That's okay (after all, highlights are notes documents, too), but Ray shows that there is more - and how to use that - and also, that the documents may be shared, which is a great thing.

Users visiting Faithlife.com and experiencing the sharing of the documents (150 members and counting) is probably the biggest learning point in this blog post.

Running Logos 8 latest beta version on Win 10

Posts 107
Drew Hannay | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 27 2014 8:58 AM

Chuck Forsythe:

What I am hearing is; there is no primer on using Faithlife.

You can check out https://faithlife.com/help for some instructional videos. I haven't watched them, so I'm not sure how up to date they are, but there IS something there.

Posts 26999
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 27 2014 11:23 AM

Thanks Drew I didn't know that.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 9008
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 27 2014 6:08 PM

Drew Hannay:
You can check out https://faithlife.com/help for some instructional videos.

This is helpful.

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 133
Chuck Forsythe | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 27 2014 6:13 PM

Drew and NB:

Thank you for your input.

Chuck

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS