Bug: Flashing Resource Tab

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
This post has 6 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 2467
Lee | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Sep 30 2014 5:42 PM

Sized at the right width, the resource tab in the active window goes into a flashing loop. When this happens, CPU utilization goes up and there is noticeable lag.

I'll try to show this in the gif below:

Windows x64 latest stable version. I have about 15 resources open in two windows.

Suggestion: factor hysteresis into the resizing algo.

Posts 2467
Lee | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 1 2014 7:20 PM

Has any dev found this bugaloo by now?

Posts 2467
Lee | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 3 2014 9:59 PM

Bump for an infinite loop bug

Posts 1646
SteveF | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 4 2014 7:26 AM

Lee:
the resource tab in the active window goes into a flashing loop.

Sorry none of the folks have been able to help you yet.This used to happen to me quite often.

I think I would then close the "flashing" resource and then re-load it.

Have you tried that? If so, did it help?

Regards, SteveF

Posts 2467
Lee | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 4 2014 8:12 AM

Resizing it helps.

This is a loop that leads to high CPU utilization. Logos can and should do something about it. Smile

Posts 5564
Forum MVP
Rich DeRuiter | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 4 2014 8:26 AM

Lee:

Resizing it helps.

This is a loop that leads to high CPU utilization. Logos can and should do something about it. Smile

I remember seeing this in L4 days (haven't seen it in a long, long time). Then Logos said they were not able to reproduce it, probably because there are several variables involved that all conspire to produce this result. The variables could include such things as your specific video card, it's current driver version, the display parameters of your monitor, the actual width (in pixels), of the column, various choices in your Logos setup, and possibly (probably?) a few other things.

It has to do with the logic in deciding tab width in a column. Somewhere there's a logic overlap that could be as small as a single pixel. The logic loop keeps running (thus the CPU spike). In thousands of lines of code, the logic overlap would be very, very difficult to find (not trying to excuse, just explain.)

Usually closing a tab in the column, moving a tab to another column, or resizing the column (as you noted), stops the infinite loop.

Help links: WIKI;  Logos 6 FAQ. (Phil. 2:14, NIV)

Posts 2467
Lee | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 4 2014 8:47 AM

The best solution would be to build in either some kind of hysteresis mechanism, or a loop breaking algorithm.

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS