4.0b Beta 2: Home Page *extremely* slow to refresh when turning on/off all Features and Content

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
This post has 5 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 18668
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, Jan 9 2010 4:23 AM | Locked

Bring up the Home Page

Click Customize and turn on all Features and Content

(don't count that time unless you already had them all off)

Click Customize again and turn off all Features and Content

Start timing. It took 45-50 seconds on my very fast machine!

Click Customize again and turn on all Features and Content again.

Start timing again. Again, it took 45-50 seconds to refresh the page!

This is totally unacceptable in the page that is supposed to greet people. No wonder I never use it. Sad

Note: this is not reproducible immediately after shutting down Logos and trying again (it only takes about 5+ seconds then), but this slowness recurs periodically whenever it has been several days since I last viewed the Home Page.

My system: Intel Core2 Quad CPU, 8 GB Ram, Vista Ultimate SP-2 64-bit

Posts 18668
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 10 2010 6:34 AM | Locked

Actually it happened again the next day -- don't have to wait several days (however the delay was "only" on the order of 30 seconds today -- still unacceptable). I'd shut down my computer and rebooted in the interrim, so maybe that's important.

Also, I should point out that the "Features" checkboxes are probably irrelevant. That part does refresh pretty quickly. It's the content that's the issue.

And I did an experiment and slowly turned off the checkboxes in the Content section one at a time and waited for the page to refresh after each click. The Content one is clearly the main culprit. It took about 30 seconds to refresh after I turned that off. Each of the remaining ones took 4-6 seconds.

I could possibly understand why Content is slower than the others if it has to search through my entire library looking for some possible content excerpts to show, but not when you're turning it off. And not 30 seconds, regardless.

Posts 8006
LogosEmployee
Bradley Grainger (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 11 2010 7:54 PM | Locked

The home page logs some timing information when it generates (in 4.0b); please attach a log file of regenerating the home page; we'll see if the numbers line up with our experience here and investigate further.

Posts 18668
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 11 2010 11:02 PM | Locked

Bradley Grainger:

The home page logs some timing information when it generates (in 4.0b); please attach a log file of regenerating the home page; we'll see if the numbers line up with our experience here and investigate further.

OK, here's a log file. It didn't do its 30 second thing this time, only 5-6 seconds to refresh each section in turn. But hopefully there will be enough info in here to help you, and I'll keep trying to catch it at its very slowest and post another log file when I do.

6131.SlowHomePageRefresh.zip

Incidentally, I no longer see the option to attach a file when I click on "Options" while composing a post on the forum. I only seem to be able to do it via the Insert Attachments/Media button. Has that changed lately or am I doing something wrong? I've seen other people lately being able to attach files at the top of their posts, so I'm puzzled.

Posts 8006
LogosEmployee
Bradley Grainger (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 11 2010 11:20 PM | Locked

Rosie Perera:

OK, here's a log file. It didn't do its 30 second thing this time, only 5-6 seconds to refresh each section in turn. But hopefully there will be enough info in here to help you, and I'll keep trying to catch it at its very slowest and post another log file when I do.

The log file shows a delay in the section we know to be slowest (and have promoted for optimisations). It would be interesting to know if it's the same one that is causing a 30s delay.

Rosie Perera:

Incidentally, I no longer see the option to attach a file when I click on "Options" while composing a post on the forum. I only seem to be able to do it via the Insert Attachments/Media button. Has that changed lately or am I doing something wrong? I've seen other people lately being able to attach files at the top of their posts, so I'm puzzled.

Sorry; I seldom attach files, so I'm not sure of the answer to this.

Posts 18668
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 12 2010 12:35 AM | Locked

Bradley Grainger:

Rosie Perera:

Sorry; I seldom attach files, so I'm not sure of the answer to this.

OK, I figured it out. You can't do this when first posting a message. But if you go back after posting and Edit the message, then click on Options, a button appears (which wasn't there before) that lets you add an attachment. Odd that you can't do it from the beginning when you first create the post.

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS