Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
This post has 5 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 4763
David Paul | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Oct 22 2014 9:55 PM

I have thousands of notes in L3, and I plan to add thousands more in time. At least that was my plan...but I have encountered something that may be the end of my grand design--a possible design flaw.

I have encountered a RAM cap in L3 that I have breached on a number of occasions in the past due to an excess of open windows (approx. 75). Although the memory error alert window can be closed and the program can be used as normal, anything "saved" from that point forward is, in fact, not being saved. In other words, following a memory error, all subsequent new notes or note additions disappear when the program is closed and restarted. However, if the program is closed and then reopened afresh, it will resume saving new notes and note changes. To be clear, this happens even when I have over a gig of RAM available on my system.

Besides this, I have also noticed that the "wait time" for each new note created has become slower and slower, even when I create new note files.

I can live with these issues, but after my most recent memory error, I have noticed that hyperlinks for cross references and marginal notes have stopped working. If I hover over a Note icon, the note pops up, but the native hyperlinks do not respond. This is a major catastrophe for me, unless there is a viable fix. Any suggestions or input? Thanks.

Posts 786
Jack Hairston | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 23 2014 12:33 PM

David Paul:

I have thousands of notes in L3, and I plan to add thousands more in time. At least that was my plan...but I have encountered something that may be the end of my grand design--a possible design flaw.

I have also noticed that the "wait time" for each new note created has become slower and slower, even when I create new note files.

Hi, David:

I ran into the same symptoms long ago. Attached are my solution(s). It will take awhile to set up your Logos this way, but I believe you will appreciate the speedy response time, and the ease with which you can open a desktop that will be set up exactly the way you like--texts, comments, notes, and all.

Jack

7587.Speedy response for Logos.docx

Posts 4763
David Paul | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Oct 26 2014 7:57 AM

Jack, I appreciate your response, but it seems that your suggestions are related to L4/5 rather than L3.

I have another important question for the forum. Can I install a second instance of Libronix on my computer if I give it a different file name?

Posts 5564
Forum MVP
Rich DeRuiter | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Oct 26 2014 8:25 AM

David Paul:
I have another important question for the forum. Can I install a second instance of Libronix on my computer if I give it a different file name?

That wouldn't work, as a Libronix install is not just a file, but also a series of registry entries (and maybe some other things).

You could create a second Windows desktop and install a separate installation there.

As for limitations in L3 on notes. I believe I remember (vaguely) that there are issues with too many notes in L3 mucking up how L3 works. As I remember it, it slowed down L3 (to the point of it become unstable? not sure I remember that correctly). There are reason Logos abandoned the technology behind L3. This is one of them.

Help links: WIKI;  Logos 6 FAQ. (Phil. 2:14, NIV)

Posts 4763
David Paul | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Oct 26 2014 9:27 AM

Richard DeRuiter:

There are reason Logos abandoned the technology behind L3. This is one of them.

Unfortunately, they didn't just abandon a technology, they abandoned a number of superior design features as well.

I may try a reinstall to see if that reactivates my marginal hyperlinks. Otherwise, I may have to begin using L5 for those features and just keep using L3 for notes...until that crashes. Then I suppose I will have to innovate in some other way. Can I run a second Windows desktop in a way that allows me to switch from one to the other in tandem, or does it require closing one out to access the other?

Posts 5564
Forum MVP
Rich DeRuiter | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Oct 26 2014 9:37 AM

David Paul:
Can I run a second Windows desktop in a way that allows me to switch from one to the other in tandem, or does it require closing one out to access the other?

That's a Windows limitation. I'm not aware of any way to have two desktops/accounts open at the same time. However, I wouldn't be surprised if there's a program somewhere that allows it.

Help links: WIKI;  Logos 6 FAQ. (Phil. 2:14, NIV)

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS