Slower start-ups after importing notes & highlights?

Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
This post has 9 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 5569
Forum MVP
Rich DeRuiter | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, Jan 9 2010 11:23 AM | Locked

Is it just me, or does Logos4 take longer to start up after importing all my notes and highlights (didn't import any favorites)?

Help links: WIKI;  Logos 6 FAQ. (Phil. 2:14, NIV)

Posts 408
Ken Shawver | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 9 2010 2:28 PM | Locked

Richard, I did my importing of all items, I had quite a bit of highlighting and about a dozen notes (one being a fairly large Journal note file) and don't see a significant change. I timed the start up and it took about 13.45 secs to load up to the Home Screen. That might be a second or so slower but not enough to say...Yikes that's slow.

If I want to compare L4 to L3 (where I had to significantly cut my notes down) there "really" is NO comparison. L4 is like a porsche and L3 a 1965 Volkswagen Bug (no offense Bug lovers). I could go toast some bbread, get a cup of coffee, and scan the front page of the paper before I could use it. Big Smile.

In Christ,

Ken

Dell Studio 1555; 15.6 True Life LCD; Intel Core 2 Duo T6600 2.20 GHz, 2M Cache, 800 MHz FSB ; 500GB 5400 HDD; 8GB RAM, Win 10, Chrome 70

http://wiki.logos.com/

Posts 5569
Forum MVP
Rich DeRuiter | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 9 2010 3:28 PM | Locked

Kenneth Shawver:
I timed the start up and it took about 13.45 secs to load up to the Home Screen.

Maybe that's the difference. I load up to over a dozen resources on my last layout, including Bibles that have mark-up and notes attached.

Anyone else loading directly to a layout with highlighting & notes to current resources notice a slowdown?

Posts 216
LogosEmployee
Jacob Carpenter (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 11 2010 10:26 AM | Locked

How much slower is it?

The system will certainly need to do more work to display more annotations/highlights in over a dozen open resources. But a lot of that work should happen in the background.

We can certainly investigate the performance, but some concrete numbers regarding startup performance, note/highlighting counts, and system specs would be helpful.

Thanks.

Posts 5569
Forum MVP
Rich DeRuiter | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 11 2010 2:59 PM | Locked

Jacob Carpenter:
How much slower is it?

I didn't do a benchmark before importing notes and highlights. But start-up time now is 20 seconds to display the initial screen (appears as a blank layout), then another 45 seconds before anything is visible - at which point everything is visible at once. In terms of annotations and highlights, almost all of them are specific to one Bible version (NIV). I also have some L4 specific visual filters working.

It seems like it's taking long, but I don't really know. That's why I'm asking.

Posts 2212
Damian McGrath | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 11 2010 3:24 PM | Locked

I have imported no notes or highlighting and my startup times are much slower. v4 used to start almost instantly - now it takes 20 seconds or more...

Posts 5569
Forum MVP
Rich DeRuiter | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 12 2010 7:30 AM | Locked

Jacob Carpenter:

How much slower is it?

The system will certainly need to do more work to display more annotations/highlights in over a dozen open resources. But a lot of that work should happen in the background.

After upgrading to 4.0b Beta3 (4.02.3.5178), startup time was reduced so that at about 20 seconds the window appeared and at about 30 seconds (10 seconds later) the layout appeared, after which the notes and highlighting populated the visible Bible. This was after a complete system restart, as was yesterday's test.Also after deleting and re-importing notes as per Bradley's instructions for this beta.

Looks like something improved here, either the way the program deals with notes/highlighting, and/or the structure of the note files themselves

Posts 3674
BillS | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 12 2010 8:49 AM | Locked

Jacob Carpenter:
How much slower is it?

Hi Jacob, thanks for looking into performance... IMO, the number of long threads on performance (variously disguised--some as questions whether their sytems will handle L4, some as questions about optimum config for a new computer, others as complaints about startup time to a layout and/or home page, & others as speed comparisons of this / that beta / SR release) warrant more emphasis on performance enhancements/optimization...

I have no notes in L4, so in my case that's not a factor.

I was having significant performance (slowdowns) in the RCL (I made a video in the forums), until I unchecked all highlighting.

Display of the Home Page (which I don't use in part due to the added time on startup before I can get to work in my layout) takes 12 seconds to music, 30-40 seconds for 1st display. This info is in more detail in another thread on performance.

Blessings to you on your efforts to help us!

Bill

Grace & Peace,
Bill

Asus GF63 8RD, I-7 8850H, 32GB RAM, 1TB SSD, 2TB HDD, NVIDIA GTX 1050Max
Samsung S9+, 64GB
Fire 10HD 64GB 7th Gen

Posts 5569
Forum MVP
Rich DeRuiter | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 26 2010 7:46 AM | Locked

Bump.

On a cold start this morning (after system re-boot), the time to usable interface was 65 seconds loading directly to my last layout (though I have two guides open a Passage Guide and a Custom Guide searching a few collections).

Though my laptop is not in the beta, the notes and highlighting transferred too, and start-up there is also noticeably slower. Sorry, no benchmarks there either. (I noticed the laptop slow-down on start-up when I was traveling last week.)

Posts 3674
BillS | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 26 2010 8:39 AM | Locked

B5 is now 25 seconds to music on mine... Sad

Grace & Peace,
Bill

Asus GF63 8RD, I-7 8850H, 32GB RAM, 1TB SSD, 2TB HDD, NVIDIA GTX 1050Max
Samsung S9+, 64GB
Fire 10HD 64GB 7th Gen

Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS