Logos 6 is here!

Page 3 of 3 (55 items) < Previous 1 2 3
This post has 54 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 22749
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 27 2014 10:58 AM

mike mcleod:
I think Logos is going to tick a lot of people off, by their latest marketing scheme.  No matter what web link I use to get to Logos

It's not a marketing scheme. They are experiencing some problems which they are working to resolve.

Posts 8893
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 27 2014 11:03 AM

mike mcleod:
I think Logos is going to tick a lot of people off, by their latest marketing scheme.  No matter what web link I use to get to Logos.  I get the screenshot: Logos 6 is here - to order call 877-542-7664.  It then stays at this screen with no link to continue.

It's not a marketing scheme. It's a maintenance page because the website broke down.

"The Christian way of life isn't so much an assignment to be performed, as a gift to be received."  Wilfrid Stinissen

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Posts 28968
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 27 2014 11:04 AM

Geo Philips:

1) Highlighting - I find the current highlighting to a little clunky, but I cannot figure out a better way to be honest. I would have liked a disassociation of highlighting palettes and notes. I find the thinking process before highlighting (am I using the right palette with the right setting as to which note it should be stored in) to be cumbersome

I've grown to like the visibility of the note attached to the highlighting - from my perspective the note would always potentially be there - it's a question of whether or not it is visible to the user. But it allow be to note my reasoning behind debatable highlights.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 824
GregW | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 27 2014 11:06 AM

J. Wright:

My upgrade pricing says I currently own Logos 3, and provides the upgrade price. But I own Logos 4. Would the upgrade price be any different with that bit of info?

I'm also currently a seminary student. Would that change the upgrade price?

Hi - I just noticed that you don't seem to have had a reply to your question in all the excitement. I suggest you call and speak to a sales rep if your details are incorrect. If you're a seminary student you should also qualify for academic pricing, which you will be able to apply for online when the website quietens down again.  I think it gives you a discount on base packages, and it certainly does on resources you purchase. 

Running Logos 6 Platinum and Logos Now on Surface Pro 4, 8 GB RAM, 256GB SSD, i5

Posts 582
LogosEmployee
Alan Palmer (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 27 2014 11:16 AM

J. Wright:

My upgrade pricing says I currently own Logos 3, and provides the upgrade price. But I own Logos 4. Would the upgrade price be any different with that bit of info?

I'm also currently a seminary student. Would that change the upgrade price?

You may be experiencing this issue on the website (https://community.logos.com/forums/t/92854.aspx). Rest assured, your dynamic upgrade price takes into account all of your past purchases.

Posts 391
Geo Philips | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 27 2014 11:29 AM

That is true and I had not thought of that MJ.

But if you are on a mobile device, which I am atleast for an hour every work day (public transit), and wish to highlight, it becomes a bit of a pain. Then you come back home, and you cannot find the highlight because it is in another note/visual filter

Posts 28968
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 27 2014 11:33 AM

Makes sense - I rarely do more than read on a mobile device.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 28306
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 27 2014 12:04 PM

Geo Philips:
But if you are on a mobile device, which I am atleast for an hour every work day (public transit), and wish to highlight, it becomes a bit of a pain. Then you come back home, and you cannot find the highlight because it is in another note/visual filter

I am unsure of your request / complaint. Are you aware that you can control the behavior of where notes are sent? It isnt perfect, but it does work. I use the "sticky" setting and create note documents for each resource. In that way, all of my highlight/notes are kept together for each resource.

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 391
Geo Philips | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 27 2014 12:46 PM

alabama24:

I am unsure of your request / complaint. Are you aware that you can control the behavior of where notes are sent? It isnt perfect, but it does work. I use the "sticky" setting and create note documents for each resource. In that way, all of my highlight/notes are kept together for each resource.

By 'sticky' setting, I am guessing you mean last-opened note file? Yes that works but at massive overhead to the user as you mentioned - I am now resigned to having the palette-specific note as my default.

I feel with highlighting, I know visually why I highlight a certain way. I do not need the contextual help of a note file. Now, if you add a text note to every highlight you make, then perhaps it is a different story. 

Posts 791
LogosEmployee
Eli Evans (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 27 2014 1:26 PM

The big reasons for making notes and highlights the same were:

• it makes it possible to share highlights at all (b/c note files already utilize highlighter styles to format notes);
  • it makes it easy to "upgrade"  a highlight to a full-fledged note merely by adding some content into the note body.

I can't disagree that the UI for targeting note files is a bit cumbersome.

Small consolation: In Logos 6, we added an "Open Annotation" command to the right-click context menu which should make it much easier to find the note that backs a highlight if you run across it in the resource later.

Come on over and discuss it on the Logos 6 forum!

Posts 391
Geo Philips | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 27 2014 1:35 PM

Thanks Eli.

That is huge actually. This will be a big help to those of us with massive palette-specific note files.

Like I indicated earlier, I (and a few users I know) religiously highlight using the tablet apps as well. Palette-specific is the best for this. I cannot wait for Biblia.com to support highlighting too.

Posts 28306
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 27 2014 1:37 PM

Geo Philips:
I feel with highlighting, I know visually why I highlight a certain way. I do not need the contextual help of a note file. Now, if you add a text note to every highlight you make, then perhaps it is a different story. 

I dont understand your complaint then. If you don't ever use the note files, then why does it matter what note file the highlight goes into? Huh?

Posts 28306
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 27 2014 1:41 PM

Geo Philips:
Like I indicated earlier, I (and a few users I know) religiously highlight using the tablet apps as well. Palette-specific is the best for this.

I am in your boat, but I strongly disagree with the latter... It is the <easiest>, but it certainly isn't the <best>. If for no other reason, "large" note files cause the mobile app difficulties. 

Question: Are you switching between resources very quickly on mobile, or do you read a single resource for an extended period of time?

Posts 391
Geo Philips | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 27 2014 1:43 PM

Hmm thats true now that you think about it that way. Lol

I just dont like having a massive number of documents in my library, especially if said document only exists to provide 'labelling' for data. Now Eli has given very good reasons for why Logos chose to do it this way. 

And yes, I switch between resources pretty frequently on mobile. I do a lot of sermon prep on the train (which reflects in their quality haha), so that involves different versions and multiple commentaries. 

As an aside, my idea of notes comes from Evernote and other programs where the notebooks are general, and you tag them for specific searches. So you can have a Notebook which says Church, then you tag a note with something like 'AGM''2012'. It looks like Logos 6 Labelling is similar to this concept. 

Now that Send to Kindle is out, it is perhaps time for Evernote integration?? Smile But the Logos developers have earned a well deserved rest this Christmas season.

alabama24:

Geo Philips:

I dont understand your complaint then. If you don't ever use the note files, then why does it matter what note file the highlight goes into? Huh?

Posts 28306
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 27 2014 2:10 PM

Geo Philips:
And yes, I switch between resources pretty frequently on mobile. I do a lot of sermon prep on the train (which reflects in their quality haha), so that involves different versions and multiple commentaries.

I know that there are other users like yourself... I am very, uh, "particular" about using the "right" tool for the job. Of course, the "wrong" tool for me seems to be the "right" tool for you. Stick out tongue

Only under extreme circumstances would I write a sermon on a mobile device. Such research is much easier for me when I can have multiple tabs open, a keyboard, etc. When I want to read for an extended period of time and highlight, then the iPad is ideal... unless I ONLY want to read, in which case I prefer a "plain jane" kindle. 

Page 3 of 3 (55 items) < Previous 1 2 3 | RSS