No more massive updates please

Page 1 of 3 (46 items) 1 2 3 Next >
This post has 45 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 2305
mab | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Oct 27 2014 5:01 PM

Who wants to take responsibility for a massive update that's like dialup? On the eve of a new release?

Maybe I should just wait until Logos 7. At the current download rate that's looking more plausible. 

The mind of man is the mill of God, not to grind chaff, but wheat. Thomas Manton | Study hard, for the well is deep, and our brains are shallow. Richard Baxter

Posts 10316
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 27 2014 5:16 PM

Oh mab ... 'just say no'.  

I especially was impressed with the ridicule thrown at the gentleman who was correct. By beta testers no less. And the 'massive download' that's useless for another 3 months or so, absent big bucks to Logos.  And the company that pulled it off.  There's some balls.

I just saw the price on the crossgrade/datasets.  Lordy.  Group-think Bible study.  Scholars have to be turning over in their future graves.  I think my conclusion last week was correct.  As a result, I can't spend money on Logos for 3 months.  Does it get any better?

Posts 27020
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 27 2014 5:20 PM

mab:

Who wants to take responsibility for a massive update that's like dialup? On the eve of a new release?

Would you have preferred an even larger update of the updated L5 resources + new L6 datasets and resources on the same day?

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 27 2014 5:23 PM

Denise:
I especially was impressed with the ridicule thrown at the gentleman who was correct. By beta testers no less

The "gentleman" was not correct and I am not a beta tester. Coffee

Logos 7 Collectors Edition

Posts 27020
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 27 2014 5:27 PM

Denise:

And the 'massive download' that's useless for another 3 months or so, absent big bucks to Logos.  

Denise, watch your logic. You are being uncharacteristically sloppy. The smart select feature is usable immediately as is much of the completion of resource to cover the deuterocanonicals or OT or whatever else was missing.

Denise:

Group-think Bible study.  Scholars have to be turning over in their future graves. 

Scholars have been building such tools for the available technology since "time immemorial"

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 3065
David Taylor Jr | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 27 2014 5:51 PM

mab:

Maybe I should just wait until Logos 7. At the current download rate that's looking more plausible. 

Good grief, are we really having another one of these threads?Surprise

Teacher, Ministry Leader, Student, Author, Husband

How to upload logs

Visit My Site: Reformed Truths

Posts 6575
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 27 2014 5:51 PM

Please no more massive updates! I started off with 4.56GB and once it finished indexing that, it download another 10.7GB and now it's indexing.

If I go for the Platinum upgrade (which is very tempting), then it'll be another big download with indexing all over again.  There's gotta be a better way than the current indexing process.

Over all I'm happy Logos 6 came out.  I said I was ready and I'm glad it's working out alright for those of us who really had the feeling it was coming out soon this year.  By the way, is there a coupon code to enter to receive the 15% off the upgrade or is it just 15% off when you purchase a new base package? If we could get 15% off of the upgrade price, that would be awesome too.

DAL

Posts 2305
mab | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 27 2014 6:28 PM

MJ. Smith:
Would you have preferred an even larger update of the updated L5 resources + new L6 datasets and resources on the same day?

They could have waited a day or two. Not rocket science.

I've gotten less than 10% of approximately 2.5 GB in over 20 hours. I have unlimited DSL and OpenDNS. 

Asking people to open their wallets when you can't deliver what they've already paid for is really tacky.

The mind of man is the mill of God, not to grind chaff, but wheat. Thomas Manton | Study hard, for the well is deep, and our brains are shallow. Richard Baxter

Posts 3065
David Taylor Jr | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 27 2014 6:30 PM

mab:

MJ. Smith:

They could have waited a day or two. Not rocket science.

I've gotten less than 10% of approximately 2.5 GB in over 20 hours. I have unlimited DSL and OpenDNS. 

Asking people to open their wallets when you can't deliver what they've already paid for is really tacky.

Not exactly an honest description of what is happening today.  For the record, I have already upgraded AND downloaded all my resources....

How to upload logs

Posts 107
Drew Hannay | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 27 2014 6:30 PM

mab:

There have been other reports of OpenDNS causing issues with the downloads....it might be worth a try to disable OpenDNS while the download runs. My download was a similar size and didn't take anywhere near that long.

Posts 10316
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 27 2014 6:32 PM

ST, the gentleman was a bit closer than plus/minus 2,000 years.  Plus or minus a couple weeks in software development is very close.

And MJ .... yes I heard about the Bellingham Police Department having an all-points bulletin out for a user of smart select.  Something so valuable, forum members were challenged with why someone needed it.  And the deuterocanonicals are fairly small .... and about 5 years late.  Bless your heart for you repeatedly bringing up the issue (and no one else chiming in), that should have been there from the start.

But, scholars have been building these type tools since time immemorial.  Whense?  Most I've ever dealt with insisted on 'the hard way' (a la George).  I'm wondering (seriously) exactly who will be the user (I'm sure there will be many).

And DAL ... was your 14g your old library?  Logos oddly will not peep on what the download pressure was/is for the 'massive' update.  I'd probably download if I knew a ballpark.  I routinely download 2gig star catalogs and geology maps.

Posts 1150
Anthony H | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 27 2014 6:36 PM

I understand the two side of the issue.

Have it all come down the pipe in the same 30+ hours or spread it out over a couple of weeks. Either way people are going to be frustrated that they have to endure so many frequent indexes.

It's the band aid, rip it off all at once or slowly get that puppy off taking as little hair as possible. Stick out tongue 

At this point several may comment about the L4 and L5 roll outs but that's another band aid of the past.

Posts 3065
David Taylor Jr | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 27 2014 6:53 PM

Denise:

ST, the gentleman was a bit closer than plus/minus 2,000 years.  Plus or minus a couple weeks in software development is very close.

And MJ .... yes I heard about the Bellingham Police Department having an all-points bulletin out for a user of smart select.  Something so valuable, forum members were challenged with why someone needed it.  And the deuterocanonicals are fairly small .... and about 5 years late.  Bless your heart for you repeatedly bringing up the issue (and no one else chiming in), that should have been there from the start.

But, scholars have been building these type tools since time immemorial.  Whense?  Most I've ever dealt with insisted on 'the hard way' (a la George).  I'm wondering (seriously) exactly who will be the user (I'm sure there will be many).

And DAL ... was your 14g your old library?  Logos oddly will not peep on what the download pressure was/is for the 'massive' update.  I'd probably download if I knew a ballpark.  I routinely download 2gig star catalogs and geology maps.

I have the old scholars library as well as L5 starter and crossgrade and mine was 1.90GB

How to upload logs

Posts 3065
David Taylor Jr | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 27 2014 6:54 PM

Anthony H:

I understand the two side of the issue.

Have it all come down the pipe in the same 30+ hours or spread it out over a couple of weeks. Either way people are going to be frustrated that they have to endure so many frequent indexes.

It's the band aid, rip it off all at once or slowly get that puppy off taking as little hair as possible. Stick out tongue 

At this point several may comment about the L4 and L5 roll outs but that's another band aid of the past.

Indexes aren't really that bad when you get down to reality.

How to upload logs

Posts 3938
abondservant | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 27 2014 7:15 PM

I am up to 14 hours and have downloaded 36% of 2.06gb. I also have ~7500 resources. Guessing this first download is only a warmup.

that says nothing of my portfolio purchase either, which will still need downloaded.

L2 lvl4, L3 Scholars, L4 Scholars, L5 Platinum,  L6 Collectors. L7 Baptist Portfolio. L8 Baptist Platinum.

Posts 27020
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 27 2014 7:36 PM

Denise:

Well, if you read the history of the debates when language/grammar education fell apart and students had to be tested on other topics because those new-fangled glosses put all the answers at the student's fingertips (Glossa Ordinaria circa 7th century ... and Judaism had its equivalent crib sheet).

Or what about that Anthony of Padua with his topical index so you don't have to remember where the passage is? Or farther East can you imagine the horror of the Sanskrit teachers when students had copies of the text and commentaries rather than memorizing them? I had the privilege of sitting in on a class where a traditionally trained Sanskritist simply sat at the front of his class and used nothing but memory for the text and 2 commentaries on the 2nd year text. Unfortunately, he taught in Canada rather than the US because the States wouldn't give him a work permit because he didn't have "degrees"AngryAngryAngry

Posts 2305
mab | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 27 2014 7:37 PM

Drew Hannay:
There have been other reports of OpenDNS causing issues with the downloads....it might be worth a try to disable OpenDNS while the download runs. My download was a similar size and didn't take anywhere near that long.

I can try it on my main machine. Thanks I'll give it a shot.  

Posts 2038
Unix | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 27 2014 8:19 PM

Wait a little for the printing presses (Faithlife won't have (almost?) any of these ready at launch) and then try DVD:s together with Your purchase, then wait for the mail, the insert it to the drive! This is what I've been doing previously. This time no particular upgrades, I'm done.

Aply!
trulyergonomic.com 6,200own
12G A9-9420 V8.6 Acc 11
d:'13Q3 12G

Posts 27020
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 27 2014 8:28 PM

Okay, Unix - I give up. What are you talking about Faithlife not having?

Posts 8601
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 27 2014 8:32 PM

MJ. Smith:

Okay, Unix - I give up. What are you talking about Faithlife not having?

DVD's.  Come to think of it, I've not seen mention of any, though I can't help but believe that some will be forthcoming. hmm.

Truth Is Still Truth Even if You Don't Believe It

Check the Wiki

Warning: Sarcasm is my love language. I may inadvertently express my love to you.

Page 1 of 3 (46 items) 1 2 3 Next > | RSS