How do you launch a book by using just its file name?

Page 2 of 2 (29 items) < Previous 1 2
This post has 28 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 73
Tom Bartzsch | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 11 2010 9:48 AM

Bob Pritchett:

We let you set the short title of a resource, which you can use to open it. If you find a resource in the command bar and it wasn't the default selection for what you typed in, your selection of it from the command bar drop down will be remembered, and it will be the default next time.

Does this mean if I create a short title that duplicates an existing short title that I didn't know about - there is no problem with Logos 4 finding the resource with the "Open" command?

Thanks,

Tom

1 Cor 2:2

Posts 3163
Dominick Sela | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 11 2010 12:24 PM

Bob Pritchett:

We're also looking to add a "last updated" column to the Library details view, so you can find recently used resources.

If "recently used" means "recently updated from the server", this sounds great and would eliminate a lot of my need to see what files correspond to what resource.  Thanks!

Posts 2246
Damian McGrath | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 11 2010 1:22 PM

Bob Pritchett:
If I missed a case, please let me know.

Bob,

the one case you missed is the ability to open a resource based on its file name.

We have no other way of knowing what has been updated than to open the resource folder. This gives us the file names. Often, these are either clear indicators of the resource (godsword.logos4 is an example) or the LLS code allows us to discover what the resource is.

Signed,

still confused as to why there is not at the very least a list of updated resources/files made available.....

Posts 3163
Dominick Sela | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 11 2010 2:16 PM

Damian McGrath:

Bob,

the one case you missed is the ability to open a resource based on its file name.

We have no other way of knowing what has been updated than to open the resource folder. This gives us the file names. Often, these are either clear indicators of the resource (godsword.logos4 is an example) or the LLS code allows us to discover what the resource is.

Damian, I think that is exactly what Bob is addressing when he said "We're also looking to add a "last updated" column to the Library details view, so you can find recently used resources."

So instead of looking at the Resource folder after an update, you open the Library, ensure its sorted by last updated, and you will see the resource(s) that came down today (or whenever).  That's much more elegant and gets us away from filenames.  Bob's note also implies that using filenames will be misleading or won't have the intended affects we desire moving forward, due to something they may be doing with resources. 

Posts 2246
Damian McGrath | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 11 2010 3:32 PM

Dominick Sela:

Damian, I think that is exactly what Bob is addressing when he said "We're also looking to add a "last updated" column to the Library details view, so you can find recently used resources."

So instead of looking at the Resource folder after an update, you open the Library, ensure its sorted by last updated, and you will see the resource(s) that came down today (or whenever).  That's much more elegant and gets us away from filenames.  Bob's note also implies that using filenames will be misleading or won't have the intended affects we desire moving forward, due to something they may be doing with resources. 

While I am all for the ability to see updated files within the library, I sometimes wonder what files have been downloaded based on the size of the download (and the time for the subsequent indexing). There is no way within the library to know how large files are. Looking in the resource folder enables us to identify not just what was downloaded but also the size of each file. 

I don't read in Bob's post how filenames could be misleading - surely the program would not function if there were not unique file names.

PS. I still want to know what the updates are before I download them....

Posts 98
Tim Lord | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 11 2010 4:36 PM

What drove me into this question in the first place is that noticed a discrepancy of 3 more resources in the total Library count on my desktop PC versus the Library count of all my resources on my laptop PC (it's a large number).  The total file count in the Logos 4 "Resources" directory of the hard drive on each PC is was identical.  In fact, a couple days earlier I had just finished setting up my laptop PC using "Method 1" on the Wiki to set up a second PC wihout having to download all my resources and without having to create a brand new Index on the second PC.  Then there were some automated downloads (the J. Oswald Sanders collection I pre-ordered was released).  However, a day or so after that, (I think), my total Library resource count no longer matched between the two PCs.  This is what got me to thinking that maybe it was the recently released collection, that somehow one of my two PCs is not yet fully synched up correctly, and I was trying to figure out the problem by forcing a launch of the new resources by using file name (and learning from this thread to use the "LLS:" command to do that). The new resources did launch that way (and do appear now in my Library listing), but my total Libarary counts are still off by exactly the same number.  No success.  I then followed all but one of the procedures in the Wiki to rectify this type of problem, but to no avail.  Today I did the final procedure left that I could find in the list of suggestions on how to resolve this problem, which is to run the "Scan" command.  However, I still have no success as yet in getting the Library resource counts to match, so something still seems "corrupted".  I'm not sure what to do next, short of rebuilding Logos 4 on my laptop PC.  I wanted to avoid this drastic measure, so I welcome any more suggestions from anyone still reading this thread.  Thank you.

Posts 19333
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 11 2010 4:41 PM

Damian McGrath:

I don't read in Bob's post how filenames could be misleading - surely the program would not function if there were not unique file names.

The filenames will of course always be unique, but there might not always be a one-to-one mapping between filenames and Resource IDs. You might have a file that contains two resources (or rather, they'd like to keep open the possibility of implementing it that way sometime in the future), or a resource that spans across multiple files. There is also the confusion between what filenames stand for true "resources" that you would see listed in your library, and whate files are for features that show up elsewhere like in Passage Guides (Biblical People/Places/Things, for example). Also, they might decide to rename files at some point (like they did with some of the Lexham resources). I think Bob just doesn't want us to rely upon always being able to tell what or how many resources we have by looking at the files.

Posts 27259
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 12 2010 5:03 AM

Resources that show in your Library are *.lbxtml; *.lbxlls; *.lbxclv; *.logos4.

*.lbxtml are type:timeline

*.lbxclv are type:Clause Visualization

Your Library count will match a (count of these files -2), of which one is the Help file.

Biblical People/Places/Things are not Library resources.

Dave
===

Windows 11 & Android 8

Posts 19333
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 12 2010 5:21 AM

Dave Hooton:

Biblical People/Places/Things are not Library resources.

I know, but they are files, so they could confuse someone who was counting files and expecting that to match up with resources.

Page 2 of 2 (29 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS