Has update changed?

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
This post has 8 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 1130
Keith Larson | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Oct 30 2014 6:58 AM

I just noted that 6.0 updated to SR 1 without any user interaction. How is Logos getting around all of Windows 8.1  User Permission dialogue boxes?

I am not necessarily complaining, but if Logos can do this can others as well?

Posts 8639
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 30 2014 7:41 AM

Keith, this is - as I recall - one of the reasons that Logos installs to the local user\appData directory.  No matter your security level, you typically have write permissions to your own directory.

Since the initial install does require/make use of authorizations in order to put its files in any restricted spaces you are still secure. (such as the Microsoft .NET install, and Logos prerequisites).

This enables most basic updates to happen just inside your user protected space without endangering any portion of the OS.

Hmm Sarcasm is my love language. Obviously I love you. 

Posts 8577
LogosEmployee

Keith Larson:
if Logos can do this can others as well

Yes; a very common example is Google Chrome: every six weeks it will silently install a new major version.

Posts 1150
Anthony H | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 30 2014 9:32 AM

Bradley Grainger (Faithlife):

Keith Larson:
if Logos can do this can others as well

Yes; a very common example is Google Chrome: every six weeks it will silently install a new major version.

Does this supersede the the permissions setting withing Logos 6 or does it only work in conjunction with the auto download update setting being enable?

Posts 8577
LogosEmployee
Bradley Grainger (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 30 2014 10:01 AM

Google Chrome has nothing to do with Logos 6.

Logos 6 will only download updates automatically if you have enabled that setting.

Posts 1150
Anthony H | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 30 2014 10:11 AM

Bradley Grainger (Faithlife):

Google Chrome has nothing to do with Logos 6.

Logos 6 will only download updates automatically if you have enabled that setting.

I wasn't asking about Chrome. I was asking in reference to Keith saying that L6 just updated to SR 1 without user interaction. If Keith has this enabled it seemed sort of odd that that He would comment on it in this way. It sort of implied something with updating was working semi un-authorized.

Keith Larson:

I just noted that 6.0 updated to SR 1 without any user interaction. How is Logos getting around all of Windows 8.1  User Permission dialogue boxes?

I am not necessarily complaining, but if Logos can do this can others as well?

Posts 1130
Keith Larson | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 30 2014 10:13 AM

Now that I have thought about it more, I guess the change is that the update of resources and the update of the program can now be done simultaneously. Under L5 a resource update would be interrupted by a program update and you would have to restart Logos twice.

Posts 1150
Anthony H | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 30 2014 10:14 AM

Keith Larson:

Now that I have thought about it more, I guess the change is that the update of resources and the update of the program can now be done simultaneously. Under L5 a resource update would be interrupted by a program update and your would have to restart Logos twice.

Oh, Ok. I see what you mean. So when new resources are added we down have to restart L6?  That's the un-attended user action you mean.

Posts 25827
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 31 2014 3:22 AM

Anthony H:

Keith Larson:

Now that I have thought about it more, I guess the change is that the update of resources and the update of the program can now be done simultaneously. Under L5 a resource update would be interrupted by a program update and your would have to restart Logos twice.

This hasn't changed from L5! If a download contains a program update and resources the program update will happen first and it will then proceed to index the resources without restarting Logos. If the initial download is resources only, a subsequent program update (or resource download) will interrupt indexing of the initial resources if Automatically Download Updates = YES (in Program Settings). You can prevent this with Automatically Download Updates = NO.

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS