2 problems in Hebrew "Bible Word Study" (L4)

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
This post has 4 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 110
Philip E. Sumpter | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Jan 11 2010 2:44 AM

I'm getting some odd results when I do a Hebrew Bible Word study in L4, rendering significant functions useless. 

1. For example, the Preposition Use section for verbs only gives the prepositions which are prefixed to the verb, not those that follow it. This is useless, as verbs only take prepositions in the infinitve construct, and they are always ל, ב, or כ. This has nothing to do with the meaning of the verb). It is the preposition which follows a verb which is significant for its use and meaning, not the standard prepositions. When I search for, say, פָּגַע, I want to know that it is followed by ב, ל  or אל, for example.
  2. In the Example Uses, the Hebrew text is all mangled and from the wrong section, again, making the overview useless. For example, when I look up עָצַר (in the sense of "to shut up"), the first example given in Hebrew is Ge 16:2. The Hebrew text displayed is mangled, not corresponding to the actual Hebrew text, reading: "וישׁמא אברהם לקול שׂרי עצר ותאמר." This actually belongs in the second half of the verse, but with out the verb עצר . This verb belongs in the first half of the verse and is supposed to have a suffix, reading:  וַתֹּאמֶר שָׂרַי אֶל־אַבְרָם הִנֵּה־נָא עֲצָרַנִי יהוה מִלֶּדֶת." This happens with other verbs too. Unless this is fixed, the value of the section is negated. 

Posts 817
LogosEmployee
Eli Evans (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 14 2010 12:17 PM

Hi, Philip. We're fixing the right-to-left rendering bug now, and it should show up in an upcoming beta release. Good catch, thanks!

Your first item is an interesting idea -- a little outside the concept we had for the preposition map, but interesting nonetheless. Put (over)simply, the preposition map only considers phrases where the study word is in the object of the preposition. For verbs, that's pretty much limited to infinitives and participles, as you say. To get what you were hoping for, we'd have to widen the scope of the preposition map to look beyond the level of an individual prepositional phrase out to the clause that contains it. I'll ruminate on that ...

Posts 110
Philip E. Sumpter | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 14 2010 1:03 PM

Wow, I've discovered my first bug ...

Thanks for the feedback. I think the preposition map is a brilliant idea. Searching for prepositions which follow verbs would be really useful for getting a feeling for the semantic range and function of the verb, as in any language.

L4 is a wonderful product and I'm looking forward to the updates.

Posts 33789
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 14 2010 7:23 PM

PhilipESumpter:
Preposition Use section for verbs only gives the prepositions which are prefixed to the verb, not those that follow it.

I can't resist being a smart-aleck: it says it's Preposition - is doesn't say Postposition or affix. Logos clearly believes in accurate labeling! Big Smile

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 19333
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 14 2010 7:59 PM

PhilipESumpter:

Wow, I've discovered my first bug ...

Good job! Soon you'll be hooked and plugging in the beta update channel to a vein.

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS