How to SEARCH for "benevolence in/outside of the church" in Library Resources

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
This post has 6 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 22
Jeff Weaver | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Nov 3 2014 10:33 AM

Hello All,

I'm looking for a way to create an efficient search for "benevolence in and outside of the church".  There are some in my congregation who feel that once the money hits the collection plate it cannot be used by the church as a whole to assist those who are not members of the Lord's church. They feel it is fine to do so as individuals, but not as a "corporate church".  I"m wanting to research this topic in order to provide a comprehensive discussion about this in an upcoming classroom setting. 

I don't want this post to become a theological discussion on this forum, just looking for the most effective and efficient way/method to mine my resources for my 6000+ books. If anyone has any good resources, scriptures etc. please send them my way.

Thanks so much!

In Him,
Jeff

Posts 9427
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 3 2014 10:46 AM

Jim, as a pastor I would approach this through the theology of the church. My theology says that the church is the body of Christ, therefore Christ serves as the model for how the church should interact with those 'outside'. I simply would never be able to find scriptural justification for the body only taking care of itself, just as Jesus certainly never just took care of himself or his disciples.

In terms of giving, we allow people to designate to our Benevolence Fund and explain how that can be used, including helping people outside the church. If we have a project or on-going ministry to those outside the church, it shows up in our annual budget and everyone can discuss it before voting.

I try to be sensitive to the primary mission of the church, which is to make disciples, and teach the church that is our focus. That doesn't exclude benevolence to those outside the church, but places it in the context of our God-given mission.

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 22
Jeff Weaver | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 3 2014 10:52 AM

Jim,

I agree completely with your approach for that is mine as well.  How does the old saying go? "You can tell the intelligence of a man by how much you agree with him!" Big Smile

I'm just looking for different insights to allow me to approach Scripture in a way that may assist those who feel it is incorrect for the church to help the lost with benevolence. I'm hoping their hearts will be pricked to the message and compassion of Christ.  The end goal is to feed their physical so that the lost may be prepared/open to the spiritual food and the Living Water.

Thanks!

Jeff

Posts 11433
DMB | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 3 2014 10:57 AM

Avoiding 'discussion' as requested, I know where Jeff's congregation is coming from.  First, I'd use another word rather than benevolence (which is typically congregational usage more often than not) ... "the poor"  or more concrete examples "kitchens" or similar. Then NEAR church or congregation.

"God will save his fallen angels and their broken wings He'll mend."

Posts 9427
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 3 2014 11:01 AM

To get a start in searching Logos you can use the new Everything Search in L6 (or in L5 a Basic All Resources search) with this search string:

<Topic Benevolence> OR Benevolence

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 22
Jeff Weaver | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 3 2014 12:05 PM

Thanks Denise and Mark! 

Jeff

Posts 4768
RIP
Fred Chapman | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 3 2014 12:25 PM

In addition to the search mark suggested might I suggest a study of Acts 2:42-47. I will not get into what my conclusions are regarding that passage, but a study that addresses the questions:

Who are the "any who had need" in verse 45?

Who are "all the people" in verse 47? 

Running a PG on that passage will put a wealth of information at your finger tips

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS