Logosindexer grabs CPU and freezes program

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
This post has 4 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 10
Joe Wittwer | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Nov 3 2014 11:33 AM

I bought Logos 6 yesterday and installed it.  I have 1.5 gb of updates to download, but can't.  Shortly after starting the program and the download, Logosindexer gobbles up all the CPU (well over 100%--how is that even possible) and memory, and my computer starts heating up.  (Activity Monitor shows that Logosindexer is the culprit.)  The download freezes.  I have to force quit Logosindexer, and shut down Logos and start over.  Sometimes I get 2% downloaded, sometimes 5-10%.  Then I have to quit and start over.  

Why is Logosindexer doing this?

I'm on a Macbook Pro, running Yosemite.  I've talked twice to tech support at Logos, and have followed the steps they sent me about correcting Yosemite's wireless issues.  To no avail.  The last tech support guy simply apologized and said they are working on a fix.

I hope the fix comes soon, since I can't use many of the new features in Logos 6 until I can download the datasets.  Kinda stuck...

Posts 9118
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 3 2014 11:56 AM

There have been a number of users having download problems with Yosemite. See here.

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 10
Joe Wittwer | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 4 2014 11:26 AM

24 hours later...success!

It seems that there was a conflict with the updater and the indexer running together that locked them up and stopped the process.

So I turned off the automatic updates, and let Logosindexer run.  It took several hours to index, and for quite awhile gobbled up all the CPU.  This causes my Macbook (running Yosemite) to overheat, so I placed it on two books, one under each side, to facilitate airflow and help cool the computer.  About halfway through, Logosindexer started using smaller amounts of CPU (20-40%) and the computer ran cooler.  When indexing finished, I ran the updates.  These took awhile to download, and then I restarted Logos 6 to install them.  

Immediately, Logos wanted to index again.  So I repeated the process: let the indexing finish, then download the updates, then restart the program.  I did this three or four times, and finally got the entire Logos 6 program, resources and update installed.  

Now I'm missing a few resources.  EG: I have only half of Calvin's Commentaries; no RSV reverse interlinear.  Does anyone know, can those be re-downloaded?

Hope this helps someone!  Joe

Posts 10294
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 4 2014 11:30 AM

Joe Wittwer:
Now I'm missing a few resources.  EG: I have only half of Calvin's Commentaries; no RSV reverse interlinear.  Does anyone know, can those be re-downloaded?

if you use the command "update resources" Logos will check that all your licenced content is available and up to date and will initiate a download of all that's missing (provided the licence server is up and has the correct info, which is usually the case but broke down early last week or so...).

Running Logos 8 latest beta version on Win 10

Posts 25282
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 4 2014 5:36 PM

Joe Wittwer:
So I turned off the automatic updates, and let Logosindexer run. ... When indexing finished, I ran the updates.  These took awhile to download, and then I restarted Logos 6 to install them.  

Very sensible when downloads come in dribs and drabs i.e. set Automatically Download Updates to NO.

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS