Notes and tags

Page 1 of 2 (27 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 26 Replies | 7 Followers

Posts 77
Dale Garman | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Nov 4 2014 6:49 AM

I see a new feature in notes that seems to indicate that a note can have more than one tag.  I have looked at the various videos and other resources and can find nothing that describes how it is intended to be used.  Is it searchable for example.  It appears that this feature is only available on the desktop version and not the iPhone version (to either add to a note or see if it has been added to a note on the desktop).  I would love real robust tags, but can't quite figure out if this helps or not and what it was designed to accomplish

Posts 21701
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 4 2014 7:20 AM

Dale Garman:
  I have looked at the various videos and other resources and can find nothing that describes how it is intended to be used

Does the information at https://community.logos.com/forums/t/92683.aspx help?

Dale Garman:
Is it searchable for example.

What do you mean by this?

Dale Garman:
It appears that this feature is only available on the desktop version and not the iPhone version (to either add to a note or see if it has been added to a note on the desktop).

That is currently the case

Dale Garman:
I would love real robust tags

Please clarify what you are looking for here

Posts 77
Dale Garman | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 4 2014 8:05 AM

The reference seems to be about spell check so no it doesn't help with the question

My basic questions are:

• what is the design purpose of this feature (what is this feature supposed to accomplish)
  • How is it meant to be used (Can't find any instructions)
  • How is it meant to be used if it doesn't work cross platform
  • Is this meant to be accessible in search for example.  As far as I can tell the inline search doesn't work in notes at all, so perhaps accessible some other way

I have wanted multiple tags for a long time, but I can't figure out how this particular implementation is meant to be used.

Posts 21701
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 4 2014 8:24 AM

Dale Garman:
The reference seems to be about spell check so no it doesn't help with the question

The particular part I was referring to was

Notes now support multiple attachment points:

• Attachment points can be added by clicking the arrow next to the Note, and selecting “Edit attachment points”
  • This method allows you to select points by entering a reference, or by selecting text and clicking “Attach to current selection”
  • Notes can be attached to lemmas, people, etc.

Dale Garman:
what is the design purpose of this feature (what is this feature supposed to accomplish)

It allows us to link notes to multiple points - for example in Logos 5 we could create a note tied to a particular passage. Now we can have multiple passages linking to the same note. I have just used it when creating a note to hold my sermon notes for Sunday where I will be reflecting on two passages - and have linked the same note to both passages.

We can also link notes to lemmas, people, etc which we were unable to do before. 

Dale Garman:
How is it meant to be used (Can't find any instructions)

Select "edit attachment point"

add references

Dale Garman:
How is it meant to be used if it doesn't work cross platform

The mobile apps haven't yet been updated to reflect any of the Logos 6 features and we don't know what plans are for this.

Dale Garman:
Is this meant to be accessible in search for example.  As far as I can tell the inline search doesn't work in notes at all, so perhaps accessible some other way

Not quite sure what you mean by this

But if I do a basic search for <heb 12:19> then the note with the attachment above is found.

Hope this helps a bit

Posts 77
Dale Garman | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 4 2014 8:38 AM

This is an interesting feature, but not the subject of my question.

When you use that same drop down arrow on the note there is an option to add a tag, which then pops open a tag window at bottom of note in which it appears you can put anything you want.  I'm not quite sure on how that is to be used.  I can't quite see how you search notes (search window has option for documents but not notes).  Also if it were a robust tagging feature it would be discoverable in any search method, and appear in the new Topic Guide search for example.  So far I can't quite discover how it was meant to be used.  I think it could be a huge help if searchable.  It may in fact be searchable and I just haven't figured it out yet.

Posts 21701
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 4 2014 8:58 AM

Dale Garman:
When you use that same drop down arrow on the note there is an option to add a tag, which then pops open a tag window at bottom of note in which it appears you can put anything you want

That is correct

Dale Garman:
I can't quite see how you search notes (search window has option for documents but not notes)

A note is stored in a "Notes Document" so you would search "Your Documents" - and these tags are searchable in Logos 6

Dale Garman:
and appear in the new Topic Guide search for example

Not necessarily as much of the information in the Topic Guide is curated / selected by Logos.

Dale Garman:
So far I can't quite discover how it was meant to be used.  I think it could be a huge help if searchable

Try a Basic Search against "Your Documents"

Posts 109
Larry Heflin | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 4 2014 9:57 AM

I think I have the same or similar question as Dale. Graham, I am able to do what you suggest, but I have not figured out how to bring up all the specific comments within a notes document according to how I have tagged them, or all the specific clippings according to how I have tagged them within a clipping document. I may have 50 comments within a notes document with 50 different tags, but a search of "My Documents" for my specific tag brings up entire documents rather than locating the individually tagged comment or clipping. It's like searching for a word in a book and the search result shows you the whole book rather than the occurrences within that book of the word/tag searched for. Nor is there a means to jump to the next occurrence of the tag within a document or clipping. Am I missing something, or am I expecting too much from a Tag search?

Posts 77
Dale Garman | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 4 2014 10:03 AM

Thanks for the description Larry, this is what I'm experiencing as well.  I would love to see the tags appear in a Topic Guide so you would have what you had added integrated with the material purchased.  I would also like to see them more easily accessible in a regular search, which is why I started with a question about what was intended with the design.  What was Logos expecting us to do with the tags?  There may be an answer here somewhere that I just can't figure out.  I'm assuming they had some search capability in mind if your went to the trouble of adding the tags, but it's a mystery what it is.

Posts 77
Dale Garman | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 22 2014 8:19 AM

I still haven't heard if there is an intended use for tags?  I can't find documentation anywhere and so am still confused.  It seems like it could be a basis of a powerful tool, but can't figure out that there is actually a way to use them?

Posts 24690
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 22 2014 1:51 PM

Dale Garman:
I still haven't heard if there is an intended use for tags?  I can't find documentation anywhere and so am still confused.  It seems like it could be a basis of a powerful tool, but can't figure out that there is actually a way to use them?

Other than a tag search, which only locates the note file, there is no other use of tags.

See this thread for a request to improve the documents search.

Search UserVoice for requests on Tags and possibly add your own.

Dave
===

Windows & Android

Posts 77
Dale Garman | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 22 2014 3:22 PM

thanks for the explanation, I had not been able to find out how to search for tags before.  I still find it a puzzling feature that has so much more power than is presently designed.  I sure would be good to get this kind of result in topic search so you searched not only your purchased resources but the ones your had added as well.

I'm curious about how you use tags.  I had thought of using tags for multiple subjects since each note is only classified under one main subject.  Do you tag for multiple subject?  Do you also include tag for the subject it is filed under or do a combined search on tag and subject?

Posts 24690
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 23 2014 12:42 PM

Dale Garman:
I'm curious about how you use tags.  I had thought of using tags for multiple subjects since each note is only classified under one main subject.  Do you tag for multiple subject?  Do you also include tag for the subject it is filed under or do a combined search on tag and subject?

I used to tag Clippings with a bible reference because they are printed along with the rest of the document, but didn't find them as helpful as I hoped; and you have to search them as text e.g. "1 Co 14:1-5" because the tag is not stored as a datatype.

Dave
===

Windows & Android

Posts 635
Jim | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Feb 15 2015 12:15 PM

I've been studying events of Jesus' "Passion Week" by reading the Gospels and making notes in my note files - a separate note file for each Gospel. I was wondering how I could collect all these notes to be printed out when I'm ready to write a sermon or something else on the subject. At first I thought I was going to have to create a separate note file on "Passion Week" and copy all the notes into it, but I disliked having to duplicate notes (or it would spread all my notes on any one gospel over several files). Then I thought it would be nice to be able to tag these notes and discovered this thread. So trying out Dave's advice here I got very enthused about this feature.

Then my enthusiasm was dashed. I don't see a way to collect the tagged notes into something I can print or copy.  Is there a way to do this that I haven't seen yet?

Have a great day,
jmac

Posts 5
Daniel Young | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 20 2015 4:43 PM

Hi Jim, I'm new to Logos but have been doing a lot of research about how to accomplish something similar to what you are trying to do. I believe the 'tags' option, unfortunately, will not do what you hoped. What you need to do is set up a labeling system as these are searchable with {Label Labelname} in any search box. These is vastly more information available about how labeling works too. Good luck!

Posts 24690
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 21 2015 2:49 AM

Jim:
I've been studying events of Jesus' "Passion Week" by reading the Gospels and making notes in my note files - a separate note file for each Gospel. I was wondering how I could collect all these notes to be printed out when I'm ready to write a sermon or something else on the subject.

Surely you could print each of the (4) Gospel note files as they relate to the subject?

Dave
===

Windows & Android

Posts 635
Jim | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 10 2015 12:06 PM

Dave Hooton:
Surely you could print each of the (4) Gospel note files as they relate to the subject?

Sorry to take so long to reply. Your comment relates to something I was trying yesterday. Do you know of a way to print the full text of a selected group of notes in a note file? I don't see a way to do that without copying the whole note file to Word and editing out what I don't want.

Have a great day,
jmac

Posts 24690
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 10 2015 2:38 PM

Jim:
Do you know of a way to print the full text of a selected group of notes in a note file? I don't see a way to do that without copying the whole note file to Word and editing out what I don't want.

There are no options to select a group, and I can't find a way to select a group because Print/Export will print a selection from a resource. So it looks like editing in Word is the only way.

Dave
===

Windows & Android

Posts 2
Meeshell Biblestudy | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 10 2017 4:16 PM

Hi

I would like to search for my tags that I put in my notes.  Have they fixed this feature?

Machelle

Posts 24690
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jun 11 2017 5:17 PM

Machelle Deck:
I would like to search for my tags that I put in my notes.  Have they fixed this feature?

The results now link to an individual annotation/note in a Note file (in Logos 7).

Dave
===

Windows & Android

Posts 77
Dale Garman | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jun 11 2017 8:04 PM

Seems promising but I cannot get this to work.  I have tags on various notes, and when I use this form of search I get nothing.  I'm searching in the Windows version as this example doesn't appear to be about the mobile version and there doesn't appear to be any dialog in that version.

I have Logos ver 7.6.  Does this only work with a subscription service by any chance. 

This whole thing continues to puzzle me as this is the kind of research tool that could unleash great power, but I just can't see that it works.

Page 1 of 2 (27 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS