inline search syntax?

Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
This post has 2 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 1150
Anthony H | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Nov 4 2014 11:04 AM

What syntax is called for when using the inline search? How many items can you search for?
(I.E., can we use "AND" , "OR" , "ANDNOT" etc)

the root is שׁבע   (Shin, Bet(vet), Ayin)

I know why NRSV and LHI match since the NRSV is aligned to LHI but explain to me why the BHS is not seeing the root in נִשְׁבְּע֖וּ

Also in other places the BHS will select "in/at Be'erSheva" while in others just the sheva and not the be'er if the בִּ is not present (i.e., בִּבְאֵ֣ר)

Posts 791
LogosEmployee
Eli Evans (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 4 2014 1:29 PM

Hi Anthony. Thanks for asking.

Inline Search uses the same syntax as traditional Search does. It's the same search engine and query parser under the hood. I see from your screen shot that you're using a "Bible" search (the drop-down on the left hand of the inline search pane), when you could be using a "Morph" search to take advantage of the root: and lemma: shortcut syntax.

We haven't added root analysis to the BHS/WIVU, only the Lexham Hebrew Bible (LHB), which is also the basis for the LHI and for most reverse interlinears. So it makes sense that your search for the <Root ...> only matches in the left two columns of your screen shot and not the third. What looks like is happening in the third column is you're matching against the surface text, not lemmas (and not roots, which aren't there). You can see which data has been added to a book by right-clicking. If Roots are listed in the right-click menu, you can search on them. If not, not.

Our search hit highlighting always highlights whole words, so if there are inseparable prefixes on a word, they will be highlighted as well when the word is matched. That's probably why you're sometimes seeing בִּ highlighted in search results.

I hope that helps!

Posts 1150
Anthony H | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 4 2014 2:32 PM

Eli Evans:

Hi Anthony. Thanks for asking.

Inline Search uses the same syntax as traditional Search does. It's the same search engine and query parser under the hood. I see from your screen shot that you're using a "Bible" search (the drop-down on the left hand of the inline search pane), when you could be using a "Morph" search to take advantage of the root: and lemma: shortcut syntax.

How did I miss that drop down choice? Stick out tongue Big duh on me.... I got so stuck on it that I suffered a little Einstellung. 

Eli Evans:

We haven't added root analysis to the BHS/WIVU, only the Lexham Hebrew Bible (LHB), which is also the basis for the LHI and for most reverse interlinears. So it makes sense that your search for the <Root ...> only matches in the left two columns of your screen shot and not the third. What looks like is happening in the third column is you're matching against the surface text, not lemmas (and not roots, which aren't there). You can see which data has been added to a book by right-clicking. If Roots are listed in the right-click menu, you can search on them. If not, not.

Yes    Good to know. Big Smile  Hello LHB...we are going to be friends.

Eli Evans:

Our search hit highlighting always highlights whole words, so if there are inseparable prefixes on a word, they will be highlighted as well when the word is matched. That's probably why you're sometimes seeing בִּ highlighted in search results.

I hope that helps!

I should have assumed this since I think I saw the same thing occur with the conjunctive vav when working on something last year in L5.

++Yes Yes  Thanks very much Eli for the response and the clear answers. 

Also a kudos to the staff @ Logos/Faithlife. Is it me or does it seem like you guys/gals are more approachable than ever before

Page 1 of 1 (3 items) | RSS