Oh Sifra and Sifre, where art thou?

Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
This post has 11 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 3322
Francis | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Nov 11 2014 4:07 AM

I am still learning about the many terms and divisions of Jewish literature and am very frustrated right now because, I have bought MANY resources (and primary sources) but, as I am reading a book that keeps alluding to the Sifra (and sometimes to Sifre), I can't seem to find them in any of my resources. Does Logos have them and if so, where?

Posts 1888
John Fidel | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 11 2014 5:01 AM

This passage is actually a baraita (see p. 500) that introduces the Sifra, a midrashic work interpreting the Book of Leviticus that primarily relates to the Temple ritual.

1 Ronald L. Eisenberg, The JPS Guide to Jewish Traditions, 1st ed. (Philadelphia: The Jewish Publication Society, 2004), 404.

And

Rabbinic literature. The massive body of literature containing opinions attributed to various Jewish teachers considered part of the rabbinic movement; the bulk of the material used in this commentary is from the first few centuries a.d. Although all the written sources and most of the rabbis they cite are later than the New Testament, this literature is useful to illustrate one stream of Jewish tradition. Rabbinic works include the Mishnah, Tosefta, Babylonian and Palestinian Talmuds, Mekilta on Exodus, Sifra on Leviticus, and Sifre on Numbers and Deuteronomy.

1 Craig S. Keener, The IVP Bible Background Commentary: New Testament (Downers Grove, IL: InterVarsity Press, 1993).

Posts 3322
Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 11 2014 5:04 AM

I do find references to the Sifra and Sifre. What I am asking is whether and where these sources are available in Logos.

Posts 1888
John Fidel | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 11 2014 5:05 AM

Sorry, not in my library.

Posts 533
Ryan | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 11 2014 5:17 AM

It looks like the Jewish Encyclopedia (and HERE too) repeatedly links to the Babylonian Talmud.

Posts 3322
Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 11 2014 5:56 AM

As I understand it, there are quotations of it in the Talmud. But I am not sure that it is all there and references do not hyperlink to it (unless of course, the references I find in other works are buggy and do not point to their proper destination). 

Posts 1530
Ken McGuire | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 11 2014 6:01 AM

John Fidel:

Rabbinic literature. The massive body of literature containing opinions attributed to various Jewish teachers considered part of the rabbinic movement; the bulk of the material used in this commentary is from the first few centuries a.d. Although all the written sources and most of the rabbis they cite are later than the New Testament, this literature is useful to illustrate one stream of Jewish tradition. Rabbinic works include the Mishnah, Tosefta, Babylonian and Palestinian Talmuds, Mekilta on Exodus, Sifra on Leviticus, and Sifre on Numbers and Deuteronomy.

1 Craig S. Keener, The IVP Bible Background Commentary: New Testament (Downers Grove, IL: InterVarsity Press, 1993).

VERY good answer...  Now, the obvious question is when/if the additional Rabbinic literature would be available in Logos...

The Gospel is not ... a "new law," on the contrary, ... a "new life." - William Julius Mann

Posts 442
Nick Steffen | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 11 2014 7:08 AM

Reminds me of this thread on our need for more Midrashim in Logos: https://community.logos.com/forums/p/71832/500141.aspx#500141

I would love to see the Jewish Topical Bundles (which are a great deal) expanded to include other classical works: Rashi and Rambam, Sifra and Sifre, and the Rabbah, and much more.

Posts 3322
Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 10 2018 3:36 AM

Sifra and Sifre are still not available in Logos. This is regrettable since they pertain to the Tannaitic period and are so often cross-referenced in other resources.

Posts 19
Matthew | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 11 2018 1:01 PM

Francis:

Sifra and Sifre are still not available in Logos. This is regrettable since they pertain to the Tannaitic period and are so often cross-referenced in other resources.

Yes!! Along with a list of Jewish titles languishing in Pre-Pub and a lack of primary Jewish sources in Hebrew. I would LOVE to have the Talmuds and other Jewish texts in a reverse interlinear! And I'm amazed that there's not a single Siddur available in Logos. I would buy nearly every single Jewish resource made available.

Posts 189
LMAM | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 12 2018 1:49 AM

Have you tried https://www.sefaria.org? I know it isn't logos but at least you might be able to read the literature in question? A thought. :-)

Posts 3322
Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 12 2018 3:48 AM

LMAM:

Have you tried https://www.sefaria.org? I know it isn't logos but at least you might be able to read the literature in question? A thought. :-)

Yes, I have. Thank you for mentioning it as it may be helpful for others. Beginners may take a bit to find their bearings starting with the names of books (e.g., Sifrei Bamidbar = Sifre Numbers / Devarim = Deutoromy). Also the best way to find a reference in a Sifre is to search using the format they use to indicate it. For instance, search for (Devarim 32:14), parentheses included, to find where Deuteronomy 32:14 is referenced in the Sifre (paragraph 317:1).

Page 1 of 1 (12 items) | RSS