The power of WITHIN 0 WORDS searches

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
This post has 6 Replies | 3 Followers

Posts 3771
Francis | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Nov 12 2014 2:01 PM

This may be old news for some, but perhaps not others:

You can, for instance, use it to find Greek or Hebrew words that translate each other in the LXX

Search a morph-tagged LXX for the first lemma WITHIN 0 WORDS of the 2nd lemma.

For instance, <Lemma = lbs/he/אוֹ> WITHIN 0 WORDS <Lemma = lbs/el/καί> in the Septuagint with Logos Morphology, will give you all the hits in which אוֹ is translated καί.

The other way is to run a Bible Word Study starting from the Hebrew Lemma and under translation, change the Bible version to a LXX. Then you can click on the translation you are looking for in the pie chart to see a list of the corresponding verses. However, the search above gives much greater flexibility and can be exported to a Passage List.

You can also, for instance find all the times the word "Lord" refers to the person "God".

<Lemma = lbs/el/κύριος> WITHIN 0 WORDS <Person God>

You get the picture. It allows you to combine different attributes (and theoretically even more than just two).

Posts 3751
BillS | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 12 2014 2:03 PM

Cool!

Grace & Peace,
Bill

MSI GF63 8RD, I-7 8850H, 32GB RAM, 1TB SSD, 2TB HDD, NVIDIA GTX 1050Max
iPhone 12 Pro Max 512Gb
Fire 10HD 64GB 7th Gen

Posts 2399
GaoLu | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 12 2014 3:38 PM

Interesting and useful, thanks!

Posts 1718
Allen Browne | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 12 2014 5:12 PM

Francis:
use it to find Greek or Hebrew words that translate each other in the LXX

Creative.

Posts 3771
Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 13 2014 2:00 AM

It would appear that WITHIN 0 WORDS does much of the same thing as ANDEQUALS. I don't know enough of what's under the hood to know whether there is complete correspondence or whether one or the other might be more adequate to find certain combinations.

Posts 1526
Forum MVP
Fr Devin Roza | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 13 2014 3:16 AM

Francis:

It would appear that WITHIN 0 WORDS does much of the same thing as ANDEQUALS. I don't know enough of what's under the hood to know whether there is complete correspondence or whether one or the other might be more adequate to find certain combinations.

They are generally the same, although the Wiki recommends that if you use the @ symbol in your search, it is best to use WITHIN 0 WORDS. 

Apart from this case, I tend to like ANDEQUALS better, not only because it's shorter to write, but also because it returns the number of search results for only 1 of the two words being compared (WITHIN 0 WORDS will have twice the number of hit results, as it actually is getting hits for both words).

This thread here has some interesting and advanced examples of this type of search: https://community.logos.com/forums/p/19229/145123.aspx#145123

Posts 13420
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 13 2014 3:31 AM

Francis:

Imagine multiple layers of data, like lines in an interlinear (but also including tagging that you can't see in the interlinear).

• ANDEQUALS means "starts and ends in exactly the same place".
  • WITHIN 0 WORDS means "overlaps".
  • WITHIN means "is contained within".

It matters because lots of the tagging that L6 exposes covers multiple words, and ANDEQUALS won't always help.

This recent discussion shows a search where these three operators makes a big difference.

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS