Prioritized commentary sets and hidden treasures

Page 1 of 2 (35 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 34 Replies | 3 Followers

Posts 140
Raymond Urne | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, Nov 14 2014 9:38 AM

How have you prioritized the commentaries in your library?

I have a lot of commentaries in my library, and I have some series that I use to go to. That is often the 5-10 top series that I own. But I have a lot of commentary sets that I don't know very well. I have very seldom time (read:never) to confer all the commentaries for a specific passage. I may have treasures in my library that I never use...

It could be useful to see other people's prioritization lists. Especially those of you that have many commentaries. Just to get an idea of how useful the different series are for you.

Or maybe someone wants to draw attention to a commentary set that is not among the most recommended sets.

Posts 2770
Erwin Stull, Sr. | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 14 2014 10:06 AM

Here is my current list. Smile

Posts 23596
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 14 2014 10:13 AM

Mine is below - and I am aware I haven't looked at this for some time and really ought to update it!

Posts 824
GregW | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 14 2014 10:15 AM

I tend to think in terms of individual commentaries, rather than series. Each series has some great ones and some duds, so I tend to use the bestcommentaries.com website. I then tag the first five commentaries (where I have them) for each book of the Bible and have a "bestcommentaries" collection. I then have a section in my Passage Guide for commentaries from this collection, so that I've always got some of the best commentaries available to me. This does of course depend on your theological views tying in with those of the people who evaluate them on the website (mine do). 

As far as prioritising is concerned, I tend to prioritise commentaries like the IVP Background commentaries, and the Carson/Beale commentary on the NT use of the OT, which means they tend to show up high on the commentary listing, as background and OT allusions/references/quotes form part of my exegetical workflow. 

If you do want to prioritise series, there is an advanced prioritisation feature which allows you to limit it to certain books of the Bible. So, for example, one volume of Expositor's Bible Commentary will cover several books of the Bible, but might be very good on one book (Matthew, for example) and not so good on one of the other Gospels. Using Advanced Prioritisation (I'm English, and cannot bring myself to spell it with a 'z') you can limit the effect to just cover Matthew's Gospel. 

Running Logos 6 Platinum and Logos Now on Surface Pro 4, 8 GB RAM, 256GB SSD, i5

Posts 1228
Ron | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 14 2014 10:30 AM

GregW:

I tend to think in terms of individual commentaries, rather than series. Each series has some great ones and some duds, so I tend to use the bestcommentaries.com website. I then tag the first five commentaries (where I have them) for each book of the Bible and have a "bestcommentaries" collection. I then have a section in my Passage Guide for commentaries from this collection, so that I've always got some of the best commentaries available to me. This does of course depend on your theological views tying in with those of the people who evaluate them on the website (mine do). 

As far as prioritising is concerned, I tend to prioritise commentaries like the IVP Background commentaries, and the Carson/Beale commentary on the NT use of the OT, which means they tend to show up high on the commentary listing, as background and OT allusions/references/quotes form part of my exegetical workflow. 

If you do want to prioritise series, there is an advanced prioritisation feature which allows you to limit it to certain books of the Bible. So, for example, one volume of Expositor's Bible Commentary will cover several books of the Bible, but might be very good on one book (Matthew, for example) and not so good on one of the other Gospels. Using Advanced Prioritisation (I'm English, and cannot bring myself to spell it with a 'z') you can limit the effect to just cover Matthew's Gospel. 

Yes I'm very similar.  My prioritization list is dozens of "pages" long because I prioritize individual volumes instead of entire series (for the most part).  The one place where I differ is that I further sub-divide my "best commentaries" collection.  I have collections for "Best Exegetical", "Best Expositional", "Best Devotional", and "Best Specialty".  The collections are created with tags, then the prioritization list determines the order they show up in within the collection.  Works very well for me.

Posts 2455
Forum MVP
John Fidel | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 14 2014 11:19 AM

I tagged individual commentaries as "best" and then created a collection using Mytag:best. I then put that collection on the passage guide. For a starting point I used www.bestcommentaries.com. Just a thought. No prioritization really needed.

Posts 140
Raymond Urne | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 14 2014 11:26 AM

GregW:
I tend to think in terms of individual commentaries, rather than series. Each series has some great ones and some duds, so I tend to use the bestcommentaries.com website. I then tag the first five commentaries (where I have them) for each book of the Bible and have a "bestcommentaries" collection. I then have a section in my Passage Guide for commentaries from this collection, so that I've always got some of the best commentaries available to me.

Great idea!

GregW:

Thanks for sharing! That will be useful. Especially in the example you mention. And I guess it will be useful in other cases also, now that I am aware of this function.

I am still interested in your prioritizing lists. Or in suggestions for hidden treasures:)

Posts 2038
Unix | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 14 2014 11:37 AM

Does anyone of You prioritize any individual Anchor Yale Bible Commentary Old Testament -volumes? Which ones?

Aply!
trulyergonomic.com 6,200own
12G A9-9420 V8.6 Acc 11
d:'13Q3 12G

Posts 23596
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 14 2014 11:50 AM

Unix:
Does anyone of You prioritize any individual Anchor Yale Bible Commentar

I don't have any Anchor Yale resources so can't help on this

Posts 13411
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 14 2014 11:58 AM

Raymond Urne:
I am still interested in your prioritizing lists. Or in suggestions for hidden treasures:)

My commentary section looks like this (series only, I've not included individual volumes). There are a few custom series in there, I think:

1. Pillar New Testament Commentary
  2. Baker Exegetical Commentary on the New Testament
  3. New International Commentary on the Old and New Testament
  4. New International Greek Testament Commentary
  5. Preaching the Word
  6. Focus on the Bible Commentary [Joshua-2 Kings only]
  7. Calvin’s Commentaries
  8. Tyndale Commentaries
  9. Reformed Expository Commentary
  10. The Bible Speaks Today
  11. Exegetical Summaries
  12. Teach the Text Commentary Series
  13. Wiersbe’s “Be” Series
  14. Zondervan Illustrated Bible Backgrounds Commentary
  15. For Everyone Bible Study Guides
  16. NIV Application Commentary
  17. Welwyn Commentary Series
  18. Concordia Commentary
  19. Evangelical Exegetical Commentary
  20. Black’s New Testament Commentary
  21. New American Commentary
  22. Baker Commentary on the Old Testament
  23. Encountering Biblical Studies
  24. A Commentary on the Book of Genesis
  25. Socio-Rhetorical Commentary Series
  26. Letters and Homilies
  27. Zondervan Exegetical Commentary on the New Testament
  28. Teach the Bible
  29. Reformation Commentary on Scripture
  30. Ancient Christian Commentary on Scripture
  31. Baylor Handbook on the Greek New Testament
  32. Baylor Handbook on the Hebrew Bible
  33. Focus on the Bible Commentary
  34. Lexham Bible Guide
  35. Swindoll’s New Testament Insights
  36. Boice’s Expositional Commentary
  37. Mentor Commentaries
  38. Studies in the Book of Acts
  39. Expositor’s Bible Commentary
  40. Life Application Bible Commentary
  41. Minor Prophets Exegetical Commentary
  42. International Critical Commentary (new)
  43. IVP New Testament Commentary
  44. Word Biblical Commentary
  45. United Bible Societies’ Handbooks
  46. New Covenant Commentary Series
  47. Biblical Theology of the New Testament
  48. Baker New Testament Commentary
  49. EP Study Commentary
  50. MacArthur New Testament Commentary
  51. An Exposition on Prayer in the Bible
  52. R. C. Sproul Exposition Collection
  53. Gleanings (AW Pink)
  54. J. C. Ryle Collection
  55. Charles Hodge Commentary
  56. IVP Bible Background Commentary
  57. Understanding the Bible Commentary Series
  58. Exploring the Bible Commentary
  59. Treasury of David
  60. Clear Study Series
  61. Anchor Yale Bible
  62. Hermeneia
  63. An Exegetical Commentary: Revelation by Robert L. Thomas
  64. College Press NIV Commentary
  65. An Exposition of the Epistle to the Hebrews (Owen)
  66. The Book of Isaiah (Young)
  67. New International Commentary on the Old and New Testament (old)
  68. Sacra Pagina Series
  69. The Two Horizons Commentary Series
  70. Brazos Theological Commentary on the Bible
  71. Reading the New Testament
  72. Paideia Commentaries on the New Testament
  73. Forms of the Old Testament Literature
  74. Berit Olam Studies in Hebrew Narrative and Poetry
  75. Luther’s Works
  76. Catholic Commentary on Sacred Scripture
  77. Daily Study Bible Series
  78. Everyman’s Bible Commentary
  79. Exploring the Old and New Testament Collection
  80. Critical and Exegetical Commentary on the New Testament
  81. Eerdmans Critical Commentary
  82. Continental Commentary
  83. Interpretation Commentary
  84. Romans: Donald Grey Barnhouse
  85. High Definition Commentary Series
  86. Holman New Testament Commentary
  87. Barnes’ Notes on the Old and New Testaments
  88. Lange’s Commentary
  89. International Critical Commentary (original)
  90. Expositions of Holy Scripture (MacLaren)
  91. Horae Homileticae
  92. Lenski’s Commentary on the New Testament
  93. H. C. Leupold Commentary Collection
  94. Preacher’s Commentary
  95. The Lectionary Commentary
  96. Pulpit Commentary
  97. The Preacher’s Complete Homiletic Commentary
  98. Cornerstone Biblical Commentary
  99. Poor Man’s Old Testament Commentary
  100. Poor Man’s New Testament Commentary
  101. Charles Ellicott Commentary
  102. Classic Commentaries on the Greek New Testament
  103. Works of H.A. Ironside
  104. Believers Church Bible Commentary
  105. Bible Lessons International
  106. International Theological Commentary

In terms of hidden treasures, I've been really impressed with the Teach the Text Commentary Series, and the Zondervan Illustrated Bible Backgrounds Commentary as offering something different from other sets.

Posts 2038
Unix | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 14 2014 12:36 PM

I would prioritise those top ones much lower (except I have on Pillar volume in Accordance that I really like: on Jude), and I have one Focus on the Bible in print (can't remember which book though but I have it here, it might have been on of the Catholic Epistles) and a one Exegetical Summaries (also on Jude) which are OK.
I would prioritise Eerdmans Critical Commentary high. And one of the International Critical Commentary (original) -volumes, the one on Jn may be good - I'm just trying to buy it today or Tuesday (I found out that it has the best translation of one verse: Jn 1:18, source: There are two approaches to...):

Mark Barnes:
My commentary section looks like this (series only, I've not included individual volumes). There are a few custom series in there, I think:

5. Preaching the Word
  7. Calvin’s Commentaries
  8. Tyndale Commentaries
  11. Exegetical Summaries

Aply!
12G A9-9420 V8.6 Acc 11

Posts 140
Raymond Urne | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 14 2014 1:06 PM

Mark Barnes:
My commentary section looks like this (series only, I've not included individual volumes).

Thank you very much, Mark. This list was very helpful! I am checking out the series on the list right now:)

Posts 3770
Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 14 2014 1:18 PM

Unix:

Does anyone of You prioritize any individual Anchor Yale Bible Commentary Old Testament -volumes? Which ones?

This is a very uneven series and I don't know all the volumes in it. I can definitely recommend:

• Milgrom on Leviticus.
  • Fox on Proverbs
  • Levine on Numbers
Posts 3770
Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 14 2014 1:21 PM

Mark Barnes:
My commentary section

I was actually wondering a few days ago what is the best way to organize prioritization. In the past, I grouped similar works together to prioritize them one in relation to the others, but the more I had, the more it looks a bit like a mess. I am doing it from the right pane in the library window. Is there a different or better way to do this (that is, to organize prioritization of an ever growing number of resources)?

Posts 2038
Unix | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 14 2014 1:22 PM

Thanks, Francis! I bought Prv chapters 1-9 late this Summer, and I've seen others recommend Milgrom on Lv as well!:

Francis:
This is a very uneven series and I don't know all the volumes in it. I can definitely recommend:

• Milgrom on Leviticus.
  • Fox on Proverbs
  • Levine on Numbers:

Unix:

Aply!
12G A9-9420 V8.6 Acc 11

Posts 13411
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 14 2014 1:27 PM

Francis:
I was actually wondering a few days ago what is the best way to organize prioritization. In the past, I grouped similar works together to prioritize them one in relation to the others, but the more I had, the more it looks a bit like a mess. I am doing it from the right pane in the library window. Is there a different or better way to do this (that is, to organize prioritization of an ever growing number of resources)?

The prioritisation tool is far too small for mass-prioritisation, but there's no way around it.

So far as grouping goes, for your own sanity you'll want to group resources/series of the same datatype (so all your Bibles together, all your lexicons together, all your devotionals together, etc.). I don't do any grouping beyond that, and I think it's better not to (because Logos you won't always show your your resources in those groups, and you wouldn't [for example] want all your technical commentaries prioritised below all your devotional commentaries just because it was easier to group them together).

Posts 140
Raymond Urne | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 15 2014 1:16 AM

Mark Barnes:
So far as grouping goes, for your own sanity you'll want to group resources/series of the same datatype (so all your Bibles together, all your lexicons together, all your devotionals together, etc.). I don't do any grouping beyond that, and I think it's better not to (because Logos you won't always show your your resources in those groups, and you wouldn't [for example] want all your technical commentaries prioritised below all your devotional commentaries just because it was easier to group them together).

Good advice. Thanks!

Posts 140
Raymond Urne | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 15 2014 2:44 AM

Mark Barnes:
In terms of hidden treasures, I've been really impressed with the Teach the Text Commentary Series, and the Zondervan Illustrated Bible Backgrounds Commentary as offering something different from other sets.

Thanks, Mark! I don't have these resources in my library. I have Zondervan Illustrated Bible Backgrounds Commentary on my wishlist, and Teach the Text Commentary Series is added now. I didn't know about this set.

Someone else that want to recommend commentaries or commentary sets that don't get the attention they deserve?

Posts 23596
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 15 2014 2:53 AM

Raymond Urne:

Someone else that want to recommend commentaries or commentary sets that don't get the attention they deserve?

While the set is far from complete I found the volume on the Sermon on the Mount from the "Story of God" commentary series (https://www.logos.com/product/34028/the-story-of-god-bible-commentary-series) very helpful as I was preparing for a sermon series on those chapters in Matthew

It provided some challenging and helpful insights which I didn't find elsewhere 

Posts 3258
Whyndell Grizzard | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 15 2014 3:08 AM

Mark Barnes:

Raymond Urne:

5. Preaching the Word
  7. Calvin’s Commentaries
  8. Tyndale Commentaries
  11. Exegetical Summaries
  14. Zondervan Illustrated Bible Backgrounds Commentary
  15. For Everyone Bible Study Guides
  17. Welwyn Commentary Series
  18. Concordia Commentary
  19. Evangelical Exegetical Commentary
  20. Black’s New Testament Commentary
  21. New American Commentary
  22. Baker Commentary on the Old Testament
  23. Encountering Biblical Studies
  24. A Commentary on the Book of Genesis
  25. Socio-Rhetorical Commentary Series
  26. Letters and Homilies
  27. Zondervan Exegetical Commentary on the New Testament
  28. Teach the Bible
  29. Reformation Commentary on Scripture
  30. Ancient Christian Commentary on Scripture
  31. Baylor Handbook on the Greek New Testament
  32. Baylor Handbook on the Hebrew Bible
  33. Focus on the Bible Commentary
  34. Lexham Bible Guide
  35. Swindoll’s New Testament Insights
  36. Boice’s Expositional Commentary
  37. Mentor Commentaries
  38. Studies in the Book of Acts
  39. Expositor’s Bible Commentary
  40. Life Application Bible Commentary
  41. Minor Prophets Exegetical Commentary
  42. International Critical Commentary (new)
  43. IVP New Testament Commentary
  44. Word Biblical Commentary
  45. United Bible Societies’ Handbooks
  46. New Covenant Commentary Series
  47. Biblical Theology of the New Testament
  48. Baker New Testament Commentary
  49. EP Study Commentary
  50. MacArthur New Testament Commentary
  51. An Exposition on Prayer in the Bible
  52. R. C. Sproul Exposition Collection
  53. Gleanings (AW Pink)
  54. J. C. Ryle Collection
  55. Charles Hodge Commentary
  56. IVP Bible Background Commentary
  57. Understanding the Bible Commentary Series
  58. Exploring the Bible Commentary
  59. Treasury of David
  60. Clear Study Series
  61. Anchor Yale Bible
  62. Hermeneia
  63. An Exegetical Commentary: Revelation by Robert L. Thomas
  64. College Press NIV Commentary
  65. An Exposition of the Epistle to the Hebrews (Owen)
  66. The Book of Isaiah (Young)
  67. New International Commentary on the Old and New Testament (old)
  68. Sacra Pagina Series
  69. The Two Horizons Commentary Series
  70. Brazos Theological Commentary on the Bible
  71. Reading the New Testament
  72. Paideia Commentaries on the New Testament
  73. Forms of the Old Testament Literature
  74. Berit Olam Studies in Hebrew Narrative and Poetry
  75. Luther’s Works
  76. Catholic Commentary on Sacred Scripture
  77. Daily Study Bible Series
  78. Everyman’s Bible Commentary
  79. Exploring the Old and New Testament Collection
  80. Critical and Exegetical Commentary on the New Testament
  82. Continental Commentary
  83. Interpretation Commentary
  84. Romans: Donald Grey Barnhouse
  85. High Definition Commentary Series
  86. Holman New Testament Commentary
  87. Barnes’ Notes on the Old and New Testaments
  88. Lange’s Commentary
  90. Expositions of Holy Scripture (MacLaren)
  91. Horae Homileticae
  92. Lenski’s Commentary on the New Testament
  93. H. C. Leupold Commentary Collection
  94. Preacher’s Commentary
  95. The Lectionary Commentary
  96. Pulpit Commentary
  97. The Preacher’s Complete Homiletic Commentary
  98. Cornerstone Biblical Commentary
  99. Poor Man’s Old Testament Commentary
  100. Poor Man’s New Testament Commentary
  101. Charles Ellicott Commentary
  102. Classic Commentaries on the Greek New Testament
  103. Works of H.A. Ironside
  104. Believers Church Bible Commentary
  105. Bible Lessons International
  106. International Theological Commentary

I'm puzzled I was under the impression that "prioritizing" only allowed 5 items in each category- Have I missed something.

That's a good list- though I may change the order a little :)

Page 1 of 2 (35 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS